Adding insult to injury- the bathing suit shopping saga!

pjlippert

Cathlete
Okee dokee. So, I headed off to Kohls today to buy a new bathing suit and bra. Not looking forward to shopping for either of them and trying them on one after another.

So, I walk into the store and who is the very first person I see?? My dear friend who is a former Miss Colorado and Fitness Model!!!! She is still stunningly beautiful and would still win Miss Colorado to this day! Suddenly, I felt like running out of the store, but she spotted me and we hugged and chatted for a bit since she is of course not only beautiful on the outside but on the inside as well!! I'm pretty sure she wakes up every morning looking perfect with birds flying over her to hand her her robe and forest animals welcoming her at her window!! Think Enchanted - the movie with Amy Adams(too many Disney movies growing up, I guess!) :eek::rolleyes::D:)

While doing the dreaded deed of trying on swimsuits and bras, I wasn't sure if I should laugh or cry . I wondered what it must be like to be so gorgeous and pysically perfect looking and trying on bathing suits and bras- is it fun for such people or do they feel slightly suicidal like the majority of us? :eek::eek::p I always think that there should be strong alcoholic beverages served in the swim-suit fitting rooms! It might just ease the pain a bit to sip on a martini or margarita and hey- I might even look good in the mirror!! :D:p:rolleyes:

In the end I found two nice bathing suits and one tolerable bra that is no doubt akin to body armor worn by sword-weilding knights of the 17th century!! But, hey, the girls needed some better support! I just didn't have it in me to shop for a sports bra. The only kind they had wouldn't support a pre-pubesent girl. :eek:

There is a women's only sports store that I will visit since they carry one of the sports bras mentioned here- I think it began with an E.

Okay, I can laugh about it now!! (sort of!). :D;):)

TGIF

Pam

Hi Pam -
I feel your pain! Could the lights possible be any brighter? Are we in for a Dr exam or to try stuff on? Seriously. I went yesterday to look for some suits, and apparently you need to be flat as a board to get anything remotely fashionable, because my DD's werent fitting into any of them.
Bastards!

I feel your pain! Although I'm at my goal weight, I still don't look terrific! I'm flabby, BF is still high (how does that happen?), AND my belly still sticks out! Never had a single kid, so I don't have that excuse! What's up with all that?

I hate swimsuit season!

Thinking of changing my workout strategy and doing more weights and less cardio, but doing more HIIT and interval work than steady state cardio. Guess I should post this as a separate post and ask opinions.

I digressed, as usual . . .

Pam, I also feel your pain! Alcohol while trying on swimsuits would be an awesome idea.:D Of course, a lot of us might be making some really bad swimsuit choices after one too many martinis!! I bought a new swimsuit last summer with the intention of it fitting "perfectly" after I lost 5 more lbs....Well, instead of losing 5 lbs, I gained 5 lbs, so needless to say, I haven't worn it yet.:eek:

I opted out of attending a pool party tomorrow because I couldn't bear the thought of being seen in a swimsuit, especially since most of the other women there are incredibly slim and toned and tan... How pathetic am I????? Very... I guess I have to work on my body image.... or else lose 10 lbs by tomorrow!

I had to post again just to comment on your post, Denise.

I understand the whole body image problem. I'm comfortable with where I am, but when it comes to being seen in a swimsuit, I'm okay ONLY if I'm around people I don't know. If I'm in a social situation with co-workers or friends, there's no way I'm ready to show up in my bikini or any other bathing suit!

I want someone to tell me how I'm supposed to deal with that.

I want someone to tell me how I'm supposed to deal with that.

Me too... Sigh....

I totally feel the same as you. If there were all strangers there, I wouldn't have a problem. I sure wish I knew why.

Congratulations on reaching your goal weight, by the way. That's an awesome accomplishment that you should definitely be proud of. I'm also thinking of revamping my workout strategy as well. I did better with more weights/less cardio, and I think I'll be revisiting that...Eating has been my biggest detriment lately and I think I've finally got that under control, hopefully.

I just wish it didn't have to be such an ongoing battle...:(
Good luck to you!

Same to you, Denise! I'm having my issues with my eating habits lately, too! I didn't have cravings, but now, oh boy! I'm really feeling the munchies all the time!

I wanted a new bikini this year, but now am feeling like I don't deserve it!

Me too... Sigh....

I totally feel the same as you. If there were all strangers there, I wouldn't have a problem. I sure wish I knew why.

Congratulations on reaching your goal weight, by the way. That's an awesome accomplishment that you should definitely be proud of. I'm also thinking of revamping my workout strategy as well. I did better with more weights/less cardio, and I think I'll be revisiting that...Eating has been my biggest detriment lately and I think I've finally got that under control, hopefully.

I just wish it didn't have to be such an ongoing battle...:(
Good luck to you!

I wanted a new bikini this year, but now am feeling like I don't deserve it!

You certainly deserve it! The new bikini should be your reward for all your hard work. Losing 30+ lbs is a major accomplishment that should be celebrated and rewarded.

Ok, so I'm now you've inspired me to lose these stubborn 10 lbs once and for all and tone this body, slim these thighs.. and by Labor Day I'm gonna squeeze myself into that unworn 2-pc....even if I just wear it in our fenced-in back yard.....:)

I also feel your pain...

Those mirrors at Kohls have to the WORST! I'm betting you look just fine in swim suit.

I tried on suits today, what a bummer! All the hard work I put in working out with Cathe and Shaun T and what do I have to show for it? HUGE, WHITE, DIMPLY thighs. I did find a tankini top and came home and ordered long board shorts from Eddie Bauer. There is no way I'm showing my thighs in public!!!!!

Oh my gosh!! Big time group hug!!! We must all laugh and cry and toast to our bodies and they way the REALLY look thanks to ALL of our hard work. I know in reality I will NEVER look like my super-model friend!

Seriously though, what is UP with those unflatering mirrors and lighting in the dressing rooms?? If they REALLY wanted to sell a LOT of swimsuits and sexy lingerie, they simply must consider dimmed lighting, gently accented with loving candle-light and hunky Chip n' Dales models providing us with RAVE reviews of our REAL WOMEN curves, rockin' it muscles from ALLLLLLL those many hours shared with Cathe, Shaun, Tonique, Chalene, etc.....

Then again, the ti-many martoonies would be much more fun and worth a major giggle-fest "the day after"! :D:eek:;):rolleyes::p:D

Oh let us celebrate my lovely Cathelete sista's!!

Pam

Here, here! (As I raise my gin and tonic! Not really, it's too early, I did that last night! :eek:)

Oh my gosh!! Big time group hug!!! We must all laugh and cry and toast to our bodies and they way the REALLY look thanks to ALL of our hard work. I know in reality I will NEVER look like my super-model friend!

Seriously though, what is UP with those unflatering mirrors and lighting in the dressing rooms?? If they REALLY wanted to sell a LOT of swimsuits and sexy lingerie, they simply must consider dimmed lighting, gently accented with loving candle-light and hunky Chip n' Dales models providing us with RAVE reviews of our REAL WOMEN curves, rockin' it muscles from ALLLLLLL those many hours shared with Cathe, Shaun, Tonique, Chalene, etc.....

Then again, the ti-many martoonies would be much more fun and worth a major giggle-fest "the day after"! :D:eek:;):rolleyes::p:D

Oh let us celebrate my lovely Cathelete sista's!!

Pam

You go Denise! You can do it! I'll make you a deal - you drop that 10 lbs. by Labor Day, and I'll go out and get that new swimsuit and we'll both get out there and strut our stuff together, so to speak! :D

You certainly deserve it! The new bikini should be your reward for all your hard work. Losing 30+ lbs is a major accomplishment that should be celebrated and rewarded.

Ok, so I'm now you've inspired me to lose these stubborn 10 lbs once and for all and tone this body, slim these thighs.. and by Labor Day I'm gonna squeeze myself into that unworn 2-pc....even if I just wear it in our fenced-in back yard.....:)

You go Denise! You can do it! I'll make you a deal - you drop that 10 lbs. by Labor Day, and I'll go out and get that new swimsuit and we'll both get out there and strut our stuff together, so to speak! :D

It's a deal!!!!! I'm already practicing my "strut".:D

So, does it count if I buy the swim-suit but not show it off in public!!:eek::eek::rolleyes::p I tried one of my new suits on and my wonderful son told me that he thought I looked beautiful!! :D:D:D

Just kidding! I'm in on the 10lbs by Labor Day bet!! I promise to wear my swimsuit WITHOUT the cover-up over it!! :):cool:

Thanks for the motivation and for making it fun and funny!!

Pam

You ladies are TOO CUTE and TOO FUNNY!:eek: I as well, am a BIG weiny! I don't even remember the last time I went swimming!!! Does splashing int he BATH TUB COUNT?? Aaahhaaa!:D:p

I'm scared....:eek: I've been trying to lose 10 lbs for a YEAR...and I think I'm gonna do it in 2 months??????? ...but my nose is to the grindstone, I've put police tape across the refrigerator door,:D and I've got the swimsuit hanging in the bedroom to keep me on track.

Alana, splashing in the tub sounds like swimming to me! Whatever floats your rubber duckie...:)

Good luck everyone!

Every water activity counts - even dishwashing if done by hand! LOL!

Hey, I'm the one who won't go in the water without a 7 mm wetsuit on! I bob on top, flip-flap my flippers and follow my diving DH around! How's that for hysterical! :eek:

You ladies are TOO CUTE and TOO FUNNY!:eek: I as well, am a BIG weiny! I don't even remember the last time I went swimming!!! Does splashing int he BATH TUB COUNT?? Aaahhaaa!:D:p

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.