ACE PT Book - how much info on strength training exerci...

fit_4_forty

I've been noticing the recent posts on good books that have strength training exercises along with pictures showing the muscles that they work. Was wondering, for those of you with the ACE Personal Trainer book, is that type of information included in that book, or are you kind of expected to get that information on your own?

Thanks,
Rhonda :7

Hi, Rhonda! I have the ACE PT textbook (the second edition, I think) and IMHO it's an excellent primer on the physiology of strength development but it's fairly minimal and cursory on the actual exercises and lifts that can help you develop strength in each muscle group. You won't find a broad array of lifts in that particular text. That said, I consider the ACE PT textbook one of my little bibles for overall training (cardio, strength and flexibility) even though I do not personally train clients myself.

There are a number of companies that offer high-quality textbooks on the actual practice, as well as demonstrated lifts, of strength training: Human Kinetics (www.humankinetics.com), Perform Better (www.performbetter.com) and Power Systems (I think) (www.power-systems.com, I think). Human Kinetics, IMHO, is the best place to start.

Good luck!

A-jock
:+

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.