? about omitting a body part?...

getnfit@39

Cathlete
Hi guys, it's been a long time since I've had to ask a question that I feel sort of stupid for having to ask but....

About 4 weeks ago I started a rotation using PS Series and S&H, and during 1 of those back or possibly leg workouts 2 weeks ago, I either really overworked my back or pulled something because I haven't exactly gotten rid of the soreness since. It did subside some, but I kept going instead of either omitting back work for a week or so, or lightening up on the weight when doing back work, but I initially thought the culprit was from pinching my shoulders back too firmly while doing deadlifts with heavy weight, because the soreness isn't in my lower back but my upper back, and across my lat areas, which is why I thought that it was from pulling back my shoulders too hard, but now I know I need to lay back off the back work and give the area a chance to repair before I do something really damaging to the area, so my question is:

If I don't do back work for 1 week or even 2 weeks, can I still do chest work? Or should I omit chest also so I'm not guilty of not working opposing muscle groups? Or and I think I'm answering my own question here, can I work my chest as usual, but do non-weighted back work like planks, superman and pilates style back work while I'm healing the area?

And, last question: Can anyone think of any shoulder exercises I should avoid while giving this area time to heal? I'm thinking rear delt exercises might work this area also?

Thanks in advance for the input,

Donna

Fitness~ It's a journey, not a race!

Wow Donna. You sound like me in reverse! :D I injured shoulder and chest area back in March. I didn't work upper body at all for about three weeks. Then I added in bicep and tricep work only for a week before working the shoulders and back only for a week. Working the tris and bis didn't seem to effect the chest at all. That might be the same with your back??? The shoulder work that is in Muscle Endurance...the one where you lift the weight over your head, bring in down into a circle ( I don't know what they are called) now That hurt my shoulders and I couldn't do that for awhile. This move seemed to involve the lats more. Using only 3# didn't seem to bother my shoulder with the other moves.
It has been only the past two weeks that I added in chest.
The first two times I went no weight to light on the weights on the shoulders, back and chest in order to test how well it had healed.
I first tried the shoulder exercises with no weights, added 3#'s then on up to test how it felt. Just an idea, see how your back feels when you do a certain move. :D My gauge was waiting for no pain while at rest.

I'm definately not the expert here...just speaking of my own injury.

I'm so sorry to hear about this soreness you are having. Please take care so as not to get your back truly injured.

Get better real fast and I mean it....LOL

Hi, Donna! Presuming that this ongoing soreness isn't a symptom of anything more severe than a pulled muscle or temporarily strained connective tissues . . .

IMHO, I don't think you'd endure any significant strength imbalance risks if you continued to do pec work while letting your upper back musculature recover. As conditioned as you are, I personally don't think you make the swooping additional strength gains in 1-2 weeks that would throw the strength balance between anterior and posterior muscle groups . . . well, out of balance.

In terms of what back work to omit and what to retain, a bit of experimentation might be in order, to see if planks, supermans and Pilates-style work makes you feel better or worse during and after the workout. I'd be curious to find out how those work for you or don't.

If you're feeling strain in the lats and traps, certainly be careful with rear delt flyes because although the posterior delts are the prime movers, I think the lats and even more the traps are assisters. Another lift you may want to be very careful about is the one-arm bentover row with heavy dumbbell, both the version with the arm abducted (close to the trunk) and the arm adducted (away from the trunk). These do recruit the lats and traps a lot, so be careful with them. You may also want to be judicious of overhead dumbbell presses ("military" presses) because the traps are recruited a lot there too (at least, I feel 'em when I'm doin' 'em).

Just a few thoughts - I'd be interested in others' opinions on this subject too.

A-jock
Al O'Pecia's My Best Friend}(

RE: Oops - abduction versus adduction

ADDuction is with the arm close to the trunk, and ABDuction is with the arm away from the trunk. I always flip those two around!

A-jock

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.