a question for dog owners

jharris35

Cathlete
Hi all,

I need some help, my step daughter wants a dog, my DH is allegic to dog hair, yesterday they were speaking and she told me daddy says we may be able to get a dog for my birthday. She will be 10 in January.

I do not know much about dogs, I like dogs and have grown up with dogs, big dogs in the house. I know the basics and can learn the rest.

Here is the dilemma, if we were to get a dog it would have to be an outdoor dog. What kind of dogs are a good choice to be able to live outdoors? and are good with children and families?

I would like a dog that I know enjoys living outside and will have a good temperment to play with a child. We have a big yard so it will have plenty of room to run and in severe weather could stay in the basement. Of course we would build a good dog house for him. He would just not be allowed in the house. Our home is small and we have two cats (a house cat and an abysian (sp?)) The abby is a handful he is part domestic part jungle.

Jenn

I'm a big fan of rescued dogs. My dog came from the humane society (10 years ago), and she has been a wonderful dog. And she is SOOOO smart. I'm also a fan of mixed breeds. I'd just go to your local humane shelter and ask them your questions. They should be able to match you up with a great pooch.

Hi Jenn,

If you are looking for an outside dog just b/c your husband is allergic, check out the Shih Tzu. They are hypoallergenic (they have hair like us, not fur), do not shed at all and make wonderful indoor dogs. They are not very big (they get up to 10-12 lbs) so would not be threatening to the cats. They are wonderful family dogs and love everyone and everything and would make an excellent addition to any family. They are easy to train and easy to transport and love to take walks, but don't need a lot of exercise. You can keep the dog's hair short if you don't have time to brush him every other day or so (however, my kids love to brush our ShihTzu!) I just can't say enough wonderful things about this breed!
Here are a few pics of our Shih Tzu Henry (he's an 8 month male).

http://pic20.picturetrail.com/VOL1199/4521294/9525655/282298381.jpg
http://pic20.picturetrail.com/VOL1199/4521294/9525655/282298376.jpg

Becky

I agree about the Shih Tzus. I have two. Becky Henry is adorable. However, I would never leave my two outside all the time. Mine do go out and run around the yard but they are in most of the day. They are also what they call double coated and can't stand the heat very well in the hot summer. They are kinda high maintence even with the hair short and need to be brushed pretty regular, mostly the ears, tail and face. Their little faces get dirty pretty easy because of all the hair. I just don't think they would be good for an outside dog. Mine are really good with our cat also and just want to play with her. Plus they are so cute especially when puppies your daugther will want it with her in the house to cuddle and play with. They don't shed and that is good.

Susan

Aren't poodles hypoallergenic also? Plus they come in all sizes and would probably be a great small dog for your daughter. Remember both of these breeds need grooming regularly. I am not a believer in outside only dogs. I think it would be better to look for a breed that would not cause an allergic reaction from your husband.

There are quite a few dogs that have hair and not fur, thus making them "hypoallergenic."

That said (and please realize I am not trying to stir anything up), I honestly believe NO DOG IS A GOOD YARD DOG. Dogs are pack animals and you are the leader of their pack. They want to be with their pack and are not happy being relegated only to outdoors. Not to mention what can happen to them when they are outside all the time.

If you are only going to get a dog to keep it outside, please, please, please rethink your decision. It's not good for the dog and no matter what people will tell you, they are not happy being outside all the time.

Yes, that's exactly what I meant. My ShihTzu is certainly an indoor dog and only goes outside to play when the weather is cooler. I was trying to suggest to the OP a dog who could stay indoors and yet not bother her husband's allergies.

HTH,

Becky

Aren't Bichon Frises also 'hypo-allergenic'dogs? And aren't there some dog breeds that don't even shed?

Susan L.G.

P.S. I also agree about the outdoor dog thing - doggie wants to be inside with you, not by itself.

In my opinion, NO dog is an "outdoor dog". They want to be with their owners. Please rethink your decision to get a dog if you do not want it in the house.

That being said, any dog you can rescue is a good option. There are too many to count that need homes.

Allison

There are many types of dogs who shed less than others. If you do your research, you can find one that suits you and your family.

I also agree with a dog being outdoors all the time. Most dogs want to be inside with their people. A dog who is left outside can develop all sorts of nasty things you do not want - like major digging, eating the siding of the house, and many outdoor dogs become aggressive. If DH is allergic and you really want to get your daughter a dog, you can confine the dog to certain areas of the house that are easy to vacuum (say a crate for sleeping in DD's room, and confined to the family room during the day)...

Another thing to consider, though - I understand wanting to get a dog for your daughter, but a dog is a family "project". You will most likely be the one responsible for enrolling the pup in a training class (this is highly recommended), you will be the one feeding him, cleaning up after him, crate training him, etc. A dog can be an incredible member of the family, but there is a lot of work involved in making sure he is well versed in being a good family member.

I agree with the previous posters that if you really want a dog, you should find one that you can keep indoors (ie, non-shedding or "hypoallergenic") or else not get one at all. No dog wants to stay outside all the time. They are at greater risk for parasites, disease, and attack by wild animals, and it would be harder to socialize the dog properly to play with your children if the dog is kept outside.

You and your family are the dog's "pack", being kept apart from you would seem like punishment to the dog; he would end up feeling that no matter what his behavior, you are punishing him!

"Outdoor" dogs often never really bond with their human families. They are more likely to run away. And although the Humane Society has basic standards for "outdoor" dogs' care (shelter, food, water), I don't think this sort of situation is ever really humane.

And absolutely consider the huge responsibility you're taking on. Dogs need yearly (at least) vet checkups, and get in all kinds of trouble that can really add up at the vet's office. And this is an animal that will require daily walks regardless of whether he has room to wander around in the yard. It really takes the whole family to love and care for a dog.

Good luck,

Dee

Thank you for all your responses. I have grown up with dogs, big dogs, rotte's, labs, golden retrievers, etc. I love a big dog, but a big dog is not an option due to DH allergies, size of house and the cats. So our choice would have to be a small dog.

I do agree that a dog should not be left outside all the time. And I know the responsibility will fall on my shoulders. My DH has joint custody so DD goes back and forth on a daily basis. (everyother day mostly). Plus she will only be 10 and is very active. I am at work all day with an 1hr commute each way.

I feel that if we get a dog it shouldn't be outside all day nor should it be relegated to the basement where no one really hangs out. Besides the living condtions my main concern is the cat. Our cat is crazy, likes to fight with the other cat and is the dominant animal of the house.

I just want to have all my ducks in a row and some knowledge on what would be best for us when and if the time does arise. It looks like I will most likely end up being the bad guy in this situation because I don't think it is fair to a dog with the way are household is set up.

Jenn

I really think that having a dog introduced into your family now would be difficult. No one is home a good part of the day and your daughter is gone every other day. You also have a long commute. Your daughter is also young for the responsibility it would involve considering your schedules. Plus your husband can't be of much help because he is allergic. Oh boy I think I would pass on this for awhile. I just want to add that we have a dog--HAL.

Jenn,

I think you've made a good decision. Perhaps now is not the right time for a dog! And that's OK.

Susan L.G.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.