A couple quick reviews

Swimmer

Cathlete
I thought I'd share my impressions on a couple new workout DVDs I got recently.

Element//Barre Conditioning -- Since I have had such great results from Cathe's barre workouts, I thought I'd branch out. I just got Element/Barre Conditioning and have done most of it. The DVD is broken into two workouts---one is all standing and is a pure leg burner, and the other is standing and floor, works the legs and core. I've done all of workout #1 and my stars, I was seeing stars. My thighs were on fire, shaking and burning. Let's put it this way: my legs aren't as strong as I thought. I was humbled. Maybe it was just the different type of workout, but I had to stop and take breaks. Lots of small movements, but the reps were not endless. All you need is a chair for this one. The instructor is good, too, lots of form pointers, particularly about posture. It's a voiceover type workout, shot outside. No background exercisers. Workout #2---I've done only the floor section and it was tough---legs and core. There was one exercise (a bridge pose) where both of my legs were shaking so hard, from my feet to my glutes. Amazingly effective. The core work is pilates-like, and you use a folded up towel beneath your pelvis to really isolate your abs. I'll try the standing work in #2 soon---I scrolled through it and it looked tough (need just a chair for that part).
This DVD is not chaptered, which was a bummer. Both workouts are about 30 mins in duration, and Sadie includes nice stretches. I'm going to keep this one in my rotation.
Susan Chung--Rapid Fire Sweat. It's divided into three kickbox combos and three boxing sections, with a warm up, cool down, and very tough but fast-moving abs/core section. Equipment: optional weighted gloves or 1lb hand weights for KB & Boxing; 2 light (5 or 3 lb) dumbbells for the core/abs, and a mat. God love Susan, she's included a tall person doing lowing impact modifications, very visible (not back row), and that person is shown pretty consistently.

The kickbox sections are fun but I have to admit, they will take (me) some time to nail down. Susan doesn't always cue, so you have to pay attention and keep track of what move comes next. Interesting combos in both the kb and boxing sections, and the leg work is tough. The entire workout is great for full body toning, improve your coordination, and will get your HR up, particularly if you wear weighted gloves.

The boxing sections were my favorite. She does three different punching/boxing combos, followed by leg drills. This lets you really focus on punching or working your legs. Again, the punching combos were interesting, and challenging enough that there is a learning curve.

The ab section is killer and will improve your coordination. The premixes are great ,too, lots of options. Also, it's chaptered extensively, a feature I'm appreciating more and more.

My entire upper body (core included) had DOMS the day after the two times I've done this workout, and keep in mind that I didn't give it my all since I was learning the choreography.

I presently own/have done only Susan's first DVD (the one w/the shadow boxing), and I was impressed w/how more comfortable/at ease she is this go round than her first. Production/set has improved, too, as has the music. I found her cuing marvelous in the first release, not so much in this one (maybe because I was spoiled by the other DVD). Regardless, Sweat is a keeper. I was so impressed with this one that I've ordered her two other DVDs

Last edited:
Hey Swimmer! I just ordered the first 3 Susan Chung workouts and 1 from Amy Bento. Thanks for the excellent reviews! I am loving the Kickbox workouts. I have done a few within a weeks time (Cathes included as well as Patrick Goudeaus newest) and found my core/abs and upper body responding well. I could see some new definition which is awesome. I'll have to check back with the forum to see your next reviews! Thanks again!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.