9 Cold hard truths re: Weight-loss & 10 most common workout mistakes articles

I've had some yogis argue with me about feeling the need to introduce weight training and more cardio to my regimen. One said, "Yoga is all I need.", going on to assure me that I need not look any further, and another who happens to be a long-time yoga teacher insisted that she was in the same shape as any high-conditioned athlete thanks to her yoga. She claimed to have taken a hard core Krav Maga class that was tough on everyone else in the room ~ KM instructor included ~ except for her. She thought it was "fun" and not unlike games she played as a child. The instructor was supposedly being extra tough on them that day too, out to prove that KM would knock this yogi on her butt (in a friendly way, of course). Okay, sure. Either someone is exaggerating, or that class was Krav Maga-Lite.

Don't get me wrong. I love yoga. But I need more. Some people are naturally rail thin, and perhaps for them, yoga is all they need. They're happy. That's cool.

I'm not one of those people though.

Last edited:
Lori,

I agree and I disagree with you.

I agree to the extent that cross training is better for all round fitness and is likely to yield faster weight loss.

I disagree that it isnt possible to lose weight with yoga. I think it depends on what type of yoga a person practices. Ashtanga is extremely demanding, with some "power" yoga classes coming in second from what I have seen of yoga-styles. I know of a few people who have seen great results with yoga, however they are not people who had a lot of weight to lose (15 pounds or less). You have to be reasonably fit and cannot carry too much excess body weight to be able to perform the tougher styles of yoga.

I disagree that it isnt possible to lose weight with yoga.
You're right. :) The author of the article probably should not have made that blanket statement. I've known people who have lost weight with yoga, and I myself lost those last 5 baby-pounds with Bryan Kest many years ago.

My beef is with the statement that yoga is all everyone needs, which is what I've heard from a few yogis. It's not all I needed. It was enough to keep me from gaining until age 34 or so, and then the weight crept up despite my vigorous daily practice. In addition, I had a nagging shoulder issue that seemed to get worse with yoga instead of better.

When I started with Cathe, my shoulder stopped hurting, and I dropped 9 pounds. An extra cool bonus only another yogi would appreciate: :D With the added strength from weight training, I'm making progress with Galavasana. I can prop myself up and stretch my leg out a little bit. (We're talkin' real little! And I still do plenty of face-plants, ha.) I can't imagine ever straightening my back leg, but who knows. I never thought I could manage Crow either, and now that's one of my favorites.

Ashtanga is crazy, and I mean that in a respectful way. I have a David Swenson DVD, and that man is incredible. He makes handstands look effortless.

Good articles, Terri! I'd say the only thing I disagree with in either of them is that it's necessarily best to do cardio at least 5 days per week. I think it's important to avoid boredom, and if you were to say, take 5 one-hour walks per week, you could start to get bored with it very quickly. I think you're better off just being active during the day in general, and exercising as often as you enjoy it. Boredom is the enemy.

The part I agree with most is AVOID EMPTY CALORIES. For me, this one thing makes all the difference.

Last edited:
Sparkpeople is fantastic.....and free! I found out about it through a few posts here so thanks to all who mentioned it!

Lisa

Great articles, thanks for sharing. I didn't realize about the low intensity (i.e. walking vs. running) thing. Very interesting.

But I just have to ask, what's up w/the models? Neither one looks like she ever touched a weight in her life until that photo shoot. I hate when mags & websites do that. The girls in Shape look like they're still in HS & the only exercise they get is a good thumb w/o from text messaging. Like they couldn't find someone who actually exercises & has some muscles. It drives me batty! :mad:

I'm not naturally thin

I've had some yogis argue with me about feeling the need to introduce weight training and more cardio to my regimen. One said, "Yoga is all I need.", going on to assure me that I need not look any further, and another who happens to be a long-time yoga teacher insisted that she was in the same shape as any high-conditioned athlete thanks to her yoga. She claimed to have taken a hard core Krav Maga class that was tough on everyone else in the room ~ KM instructor included ~ except for her. She thought it was "fun" and not unlike games she played as a child. The instructor was supposedly being extra tough on them that day too, out to prove that KM would knock this yogi on her butt (in a friendly way, of course). Okay, sure. Either someone is exaggerating, or that class was Krav Maga-Lite.

Don't get me wrong. I love yoga. But I need more. Some people are naturally rail thin, and perhaps for them, yoga is all they need. They're happy. That's cool.

I'm not one of those people though.

But I am extremely naturally muscular. Yoga helped get me out of my 256 lb plateau. Its known to put you directly into fat burning mode. Its not the number of calories that are burned during the exercise that is the only important factor. As it turns out, moving the lymph fluid out of your limbs is also very important (happens a lot in yoga.) I'm not saying to not do other activities, but I do advocate the use of yoga.

But I just have to ask, what's up w/the models? Neither one looks like she ever touched a weight in her life until that photo shoot. I hate when mags & websites do that.
I've noticed that too.

Rapid, I think you and Vee missed my point. :) I'm not saying yoga shouldn't be practiced or that it doesn't deliver some benefit. I had a solid, daily practice for 8 years. I'm challenging the thought that yoga alone is all anyone needs. As in, we Catheites might as well go put our weights and DVDs up on Ebay and whittle our workout gear down to a yoga mat, a strap, and a block.

Last edited:

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.