50 and over September thread

JoanC

Cathlete
It's been raining all weekend. I did get 10000 steps in but needed about 15000 to make up for all the days I didn't get in 10000 this week.

I think I spoiled the last two weeks dieting by the meal I had Saturday night.

Jann the botanical garden is great but I loved one of the flower beds filled with two kind of flowers that were in three shades of purple and white. It was the only bed of flowers not labeled. There was another flower that was a vine growing on poles and the vine looked liked a bean but of course it wasn't labeled. Those were the ony ones in the whole place not labeled and the ones I wanted.

Kim if you find the secret to exercise ambition let me know. I feel so much better now that I have the trainer but I took a long time to get to this point.

Hi to Magnolia and Beth.

Joan, that exercise ambition thing plays hard to get. Some days harder than others.

I woke up today and knew it was gonna be a 'challenge' day. I did, however, manage to pull my duff off the lounger to do lite housework and Tracie Longs Focus/Lift Higher.

I can't say I got much more done. But I did feel emotionally and physically better after working my tush.

I should have already been tracking these problem times of the month and recognizing the patterns before now so I know when I'm gonna need to fight.:confused: :D

I'm trying to talk myself into NOT cancelling my girlie doctor appt. for tomorrow. I soooo do NOT want to go. I hate doctors appt's with a passion but I haven't been to a 'girlie doctor' in a few years.
Sigh.

Stopping in halfway through STS 4... to say....whew!!! What has happened to my weight lifting stamina-- oh thats right.. too much cardio lately!!

I do love STS though- the simplicity is its genius.

Joan- does the 10,000 steps per day count as exercise? Or it this something we should do in addition?

Kim- good to see you pushing yourself off the barko lounger.

Jann- We did not get too much of Issaac but we have had an enormous amount of rain anyway this year. Weve had to worry more about funguses than drought.

Josh wants me to do 30 minutes on the treadmill 5 days a week when not with him. It's part of the 10,000 steps. Although lifting days are usually higher. It's amazing this Saturday I was so tired and even with 40 minutes on the treadmill I only had 7200 steps. I think I slept the day away.

The weight lifting I'm doing now is closer to meso 3. I told him I wanted to lift heavier. We are doing a lot of 5x5's. Lifting heavier for only 5 times and 5 sets. I know I couldn't lift this heavy on my own. With the last couple of sets I couldn't finish them without a little assist.

Joan- It sounds like you have a good trainer- he's pushing you hard!!! SO the steps are part of the exercise? Im just wondering if I need to put in the steps and then consider exercising aside from that.

I did a TRX class tonight- it was tough especially after the STS which I LOVE because the muscles start to show right away!!

I am going to switch my cardio from less spinning to more running- I want to do the Breast Cancer Marathon here next February so I better start building the mileage-- I did 5 miles two days in a row and have a blister on my heel because it isn't used to that movement.

Now if I could ZIP my mouth closed after dinner!!

Beth I'm not trying to do any more than what I will try to do forever. If that makes any sense. I think 30 minutes on the treadmill (or mowing the grass) is doable but if it's not 10,000 steps that's just too bad. If I feel like it I will walk a little more but I don't want to get used to eating for the higher activity level and then not keep it up. Fortunately it seems like I'm naturally getting in more steps.

Joan

HI all -- When I was tracking steps I counted that as part of my exercise. Taking Reggie for walks and treadmill diffidently helped with those steps.

I am on a Firm kick! Cardio Body sculpt with Jen today.

I have once again have to get my eating under control. A weekend of bad foods just made me feel bad, so what do I do, eat thinking it will help!! :eek::eek::mad::mad: Back to yogurt/cereal breakfast, meat/vegetables lunch, salad for dinner. Snacks can only be fruit or healthy type bars!
I gain 2 pounds in 5 days!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I just hope it comes off as fast. Darn potato salad! :(

Beth you are a runner?? :D That is one exercise I just can not do. :rolleyes: I admire my friends that go out there and just run. It's beyond my thought process. :p YOU GO GIRL!

Joan -- I love hearing about your trainer. It inspires me!

Kim -- Hang in there!! I agree about the time tracking. I know for sure, I still have a week here and there that it seems just like old times! :rolleyes::rolleyes: Work that tush! :cool:

OH and Kim -- see that doctor. I am here today because I went to the doctor!! {{{{Kim}}}}

Hi all :D

I'm hangin' there...more than, actually. Working out ever other day---so there, couch/barko lounger, bite me :p :D

I just gotta keep the chocolate desserts outta the house. They get me everytime. No other food is a weak link for me like good chocolate.
I won't OD on candy, just desserts like brownies and cake. My DD2 brought me home a tart from a gourmet bakery in Philly and I had'er gone in two days. It was a small tart, but still...those calories!!

JoanC: I'm not trying to do any more than what I will try to do forever.
That makes amazing sense to me. I haven't really realized it but that's exactly what I've been thinking, moving toward, for a while now.

Jann - I do the same thing, or have done, re:eating...it ain't even funny! That very thing is one of the points in the book I'm reading each day: 100 Days of Dieting(or something like that). The book also pointed out another thing I do....keep eating something after the first bite shows me it ain't what I want or doesn't taste that good...thinking the next bite will be better. If it ain't good in the first bite or two, it ain't gonna be good or satisfy. Although my common sense knew this, seeing it in written word by someone else kinda confirmed it in my mind, iykwim.

Last edited:
With only the extra 2000 steps (approx) and 2 days of lifting as extra calories used I was surprised at how much more hungry I was. Josh says that is a sign of increased metabolism. I really have to work at keeping calories at 1500. The first week calories averaged 1430 per day, second week 1550 and third week 1700 calories per day.

I think I told you how much my upper body hurt after the first wo but my lower body hasn't been sore. Because of my knee we have been very careful the first two weeks. But not anymore, I can barely climb my stairs and I need to at least 10 times a day. I was doing beautiful lunges. I don't think I have ever gone that low-and for a million reps. Well maybe not a million but it feels like it now.

Josh is amazed at how strong my back is but since I could barely breathe at the time I didn't ask him why he said that.

Joan I never thought about being hungry was a sign of boosting your metabolism. Interesting. :)

Yay Kim!! I certainly have eaten foods I really wish I had not! :confused:

Rest day today.

Jann- I had a bad eating weekend too! It amazes me how fast I can put on the weight! Now I am back to the boring meals again! I am trying to run again, but am so heavy that it hurts! But, thats a good reason to do it. I usually start by walking and then do just a few sprints each time.

Joan- I think that getting hungry is one of those side effects of exercising that if we can ignore, shoud be burning the weight off. Josh is right. its just that I want to eat!!

Kim-- did you keep your appointment with the Dr?

Magnolia- hope you are doing well!

Hi, Y'All!

Joan, great that you have gotten a trainer. I think sometimes it helps motivate. Hope you see results very soon.

Wow, Beth, what a worker you are! I'm impressed with your level of motivation!

Kim, just keep hanging in there. And go to the doctor! I have spent the summer getting checked out.

Jann, I do see you on FB pretty often. If you're like me and you're on a Firm kick, then you're moving.

Sorry to have been absent all this time! I, too, have been on a major Firm kick. I just love cardio weight training. Did The Hare on Monday, had a fantastic walk yesterday (the weather is fantastic here), but I had to get up early to substitute sing at a funeral this morning. Anyway, I have been really tired all day, so took a rest. I include Cathe's cardio as well, but if it's a beautiful day, I am going to get out and walk!

I have changed my approach to eating, too. I am not counting calories, I am just making healthier choices and watching portion sizes. I eat mostly vegetables, but I add the lean protein I need, fresh fruit and I limit my carbs (which are all complex). I avoid sugar as much as I can. I drink a whole lot of water every day. I've gotten more conscious about getting enough sleep, and it really makes a difference, at least so far. Generally, I feel better, but we'll see how this works out.

Have a great evening, everyone!

Magnolia

HI all!

Well, I have to say I am getting my cardio this week!! Reggie started his agility training monday. I had NO idea it was so much running for me included in this adventure. I am working with him a minimum of a hour a day. Yesterday we worked 2x's for a hour each time. I am so glad the weather is cooler. I am huffing and puffing like crazy! :p
He is a little behind most of the group. The place I am taking him most of the dogs "grew" up in those obedience classes. He doesn't know the same commands and he has never been trained like they are. So we are working double hard to catch up.
On our walk this morning we had to walk a completely different way than he is used to. He has 6 weeks to get there. :D
Here's a picture we took yesterday -

Attachments

• Reggie and agility tube 002.jpg
    Reggie and agility tube 002.jpg
    96.6 KB · Views: 8
Jann: that is so awesome about Reggie! Looks like so much fun. :D

I did go to the doc and she says I have calcium cyrstal something or other so my pain is from my kidneys. They faxed the report to my GP, who has pretty much washed his hands of me cause he just can't figure out why I hurt :cool:
Oh well. We'll see how it goes.

I'm having one of those weeks, not exercising yet this week...not real exercise like a good dvd...just doing little stuff like stretching and a few pushups.
I will get past it, but I'm really looking inside to see how to overcome, finally, this 'tendency', this mood thing.
I'm not overeating even a little, so that's something.

Hugs to all y'all and hope to tell you who I worked out with next check in :D

Kim I think we all go in cycles with our exercise. I think if you can keep eating in control that's what's important. That and you eventually come back to exercise.:)

Jann Your dog exercise is a lot better than my walking to the bus stop exercise but it's nice to have something that doesn't feel like exercise that adds to the steps.

Magnolia I never could get started with the Firm. I have several tapes(yes they really were) but my joints always hurt from the number of reps. I really like this going heavy.

He has me up to 30lb with 1 arm bent over rows.

Beth my bad eating day was yesterday. I started with donuts and didn't let a veg., fruit or protein darken my door. I'm surprised today I went right back to the diet. I thought I would have more carb cravings.

Hi to all,

I was down 3lb Thursday from my start with trainer in 4 weeks. That's pretty fast for me when not doing crazy diets. I was all pumped up and ready to get serious but then I lost that ambition. I think I'm just too tired from babysitting and taking care of my mother. I still get my 30 min on treadmill and 2 days of lifting but just not as enthused as I was.

JoanC...that's it!! You said it. You're 'tired'.

Tired. I know tired. I do. And it can knock motivation in the head.

But hug yourself :D and get some rest so tired can go away, for a little while at least.

I know tired....really :D

My son got off a little early today and I was able to get my hair cut and colored. It's a good thing I don't look in the mirror much, I was looking pretty scraggily. (is that a word?)

I still wonder if 2 days a week is enough lifting to make a difference but have decided it is better than nothing.

Kim Since the 30 min treadmill and the 2 training sessions are in my mind as appointments, I just do them. It seems like I do anything that has to get done.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.

Back