40s - week of 1/22/12

You're Welcome Roxie, I probably gave you more info than you wanted :) Those infomercials have a way of sucking you in for sure! Of course it doesn't help that they have people on them with gorgeous hair! lol

I slept great and did PLB---been awhile since I've done that one, I think my glutes and hams may be talking to me later!

Hoping to hear something next week on DH job. The last update is that the issue that was holding things up took longer to resolve than they thought it would---I guess that's company-speak for politics. DH is in Houston next week at his new customer so it will be awkward if he needs to be available for any interviews.

Good Evening,

This morning I did KCM's Start Here Cardio and walked on the TM for 2.14 miles my legs and hips are screaming I see a stretch in my plans for tomarrow. Dh and I went to Sam's and the mall in Topeka trying to find summer clothes for his twin nephews birthday tomarrow that was a trip. Coming home the interstate was closed we had to turn around and by the time we did there was another accident to close it down even further.

Lisa-I plan on going to Sallys tomarrow to find that protein stuff you suggested.

I know we need new thread but wanted to add my experience with Wen on hair...

Wen has saved me from wanting to chop off my whole head every morning after I shower and wash hair. My fine long flat hair mats up when wet/shampooed/sweaty except with Wen. Annnnd, now it performs best, has fullness shine and body, when I comb it out and let it air dry- before I had to blow it out or it felt flat and plastered to my head.

Before Wen, i sometimes couldn't even comb it out wet, I'd comb from ears down and blow and then twist the ugly Rasta rest into a knot and run out the door.

Since I think my hair is still porous and not every Wen flavor gives me the comb out I need, I am going to try these two from Lisa: (Thank you So Much for all the info and links, too!!)

But Lisa also wrote this : -if that area tangles a little, my protein is spot on, if it tangles a lot, I know I need to lay off the protein, if it's super soft, I need more protein)
So maybe protein would be counter productive?

Start with this:
Ion - Repair Solutions - Ion Effective Care Treatment 1 oz
This is a light protein treatment, more than likely your hair will turn out very soft, will feel nice, but you will feel like you want more volume, this step is to see how your hair reacts to protein. The packet should provide at least 4 treatments (depends how much you need to cover your hair)

After you see how your hair reacts to that they you could do 1 of 2 things:
1. Add a bit more protein to the above the next time you do a protein treatment. This is popular and cheap:
Colorful Products - Colorful Neutral Protein Filler 1.2 oz.
I think my sis adds about 1/4 teaspoon to the above protein treatment (I actually add 8 drops a day into my leave in conditioner --- you probably won't use a leave in -- I do for my curls --- my sis will add to her mousse I think).

Last edited:
Let's just keep this thread going into next week :) I did do PUB today! Did my protein treatment too. Had a nice tangly mess on my right side (I poo upside down for volume and sometimes the act of flipping it get's it more tangly). Anyway, added a bunch of that Garnier Fructis conditioner. I may have went a wee overboard on the condish since my curls are ubber soft, but my curls are very bouncy from the protein. (the protein would make straight, fine hair have volume). See the volume on the top in the pics below? WOW!

Next post I'll try to answer Jody's questions :)

Attachments

• P1280045.jpg
    P1280045.jpg
    80.9 KB · Views: 4
  • P1280011.jpg
    P1280011.jpg
    88.1 KB · Views: 4
First off, here is the protein treatment I did today:

Shampoo hair with gentle poo, blot hair. Add protein treatment, normally I make up the gelatin mixture, then shampoo my hair while it cools, then mix up the rest of the protein treatment add onto damp hair.

Recipe for protein treatment:
1/16 cup hot/boiling water to dissolve with whisk 1/4 teaspoon unflavored gelatin (maybe use a little less until you see how your hair reacts), let cool, but NOT GEL, Add about 1/16 cup ION Effective Care (you could add conditioner too here for less protein). I left on for 30 min with my hair in a bag and a ski cap on to generate heat from my body.

Rinse hair, since there is gelatin I do a light poo, condition (especially if it's tangly).

Last edited:
Responses in bold (I hope)in the below quote

I know we need new thread but wanted to add my experience with Wen on hair...

Wen has saved me from wanting to chop off my whole head every morning after I shower and wash hair. My fine long flat hair mats up when wet/shampooed/sweaty except with Wen. Annnnd, now it performs best, has fullness shine and body, when I comb it out and let it air dry- before I had to blow it out or it felt flat and plastered to my head.

Before Wen, i sometimes couldn't even comb it out wet, I'd comb from ears down and blow and then twist the ugly Rasta rest into a knot and run out the door. I would guess that WEN is supplying you with moisture that your hair needed. It's very good at that. But I do believe you can get that with other cheaper products if that is one's desire. I use cheap products AND I use boutique products. Some of both kinds don't work and then there are the ones of both kind that I'm loving. If Wen works and $ is not a consideration, then by all means use it! I just won't be repurchasing it, there are other things my hair likes better.

Since I think my hair is still porous and not every Wen flavor gives me the comb out I need, I am going to try these two from Lisa: (Thank you So Much for all the info and links, too!!) Not sure by what you mean with "every Wen Flavor". Are you saying sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't? Was the shampoo you were using before WEN sulfate free? I only poo with sulfate free shampoos now and silicone free conditioners. Sulfate dry you out, and silicones weight you down :)

But Lisa also wrote this : -if that area tangles a little, my protein is spot on, if it tangles a lot, I know I need to lay off the protein, if it's super soft, I need more protein) This is just what I've noticed. I've also noticed that if my hair (especially at nape of neck is ubber soft, yea, that area might need a spot of protein (like the one from Beyond the Zone), this is so I can get my hair to curl instead of being pulled out with the ubber conditioned softness.
So maybe protein would be counter productive?Fine hair is supposed to like protein. Since you are porous it will get into your hair more easily than a low porous person (I think I'm between normal and high porous). Wen does have protein--read the label :) It has wheat protein, I think my hair is liking keratin protein better, although it's never met a protein it didn't like :) I would say TRY the ION see how it is, it is very low protein and I need a lot (that's why I add gelatin or Neutral Protein Filler), you might not need as much. But with protein you must moisturize! Normally fine haired gals are scared of conditioner (I was) because they would end up with weighed down hair....if they didn't use conditioner then fly aways (that's how I was). I'm learning with protein I need conditioner and I have now some hair that has substance!

Start with this:
Ion - Repair Solutions - Ion Effective Care Treatment 1 oz
This is a light protein treatment, more than likely your hair will turn out very soft, will feel nice, but you will feel like you want more volume, this step is to see how your hair reacts to protein. The packet should provide at least 4 treatments (depends how much you need to cover your hair)

After you see how your hair reacts to that they you could do 1 of 2 things:
1. Add a bit more protein to the above the next time you do a protein treatment. This is popular and cheap:
Colorful Products - Colorful Neutral Protein Filler 1.2 oz.
I think my sis adds about 1/4 teaspoon to the above protein treatment (I actually add 8 drops a day into my leave in conditioner --- you probably won't use a leave in -- I do for my curls --- my sis will add to her mousse I think).

Here is what a typical week might look like for me, it varies with how I feel my hair is the previous night. I do poo everyday, I have to or I have no volume and frizz since I'm such a hard sleeper and sweater too :) I don't feel bad poo'ing every day since I use sulfate free poos.

Sunday: Protein treatment making sure to moisturize well
Monday: depending on moisture level in hair which is affected by how much condish I got in my hair the previous day and weather, I may use a low poo and condish (low poo is one of the shampoos I provided links to previously) or something like WEN (a cleansing conditioner product) -- I love DevaCurl No Poo, maybe for the straight haired girls this would be good?
MyDevaCurl - Products - Cleanse
Tuesday: Assuming I low-poo'd previous day I may no poo today (like Wen--but not necessary Wen)
Wed: Low poo probably, and I may find my hair going flatter so I may spray on Beyond the Zone Protein Cocktail at night before bed
Thurs: I probably will Lo-Poo again since I was flat the day before
Fri: I may No poo, depends on how my hair is feeling.....sometimes I'm so dry that I've put in coconut oil maybe the previous night so then I HAVE to LOW poo!
Sat: can't wait to get my Protein treatment done tomorrow! Probably a Low Poo since I'm more than likely feeling a bit flat.

Everyday I'm adding protein like I've said in previous post and using Devacurl B'leave-in on the top to give me volume.

I'm learning I have to be careful on using hair spray, I can't use ANY with alcohol in them so I use ION alcohol free hairspray from Sally's. Gives me the hold I need/want to keep the top of my hair fluffy and in place to cover my scalp show thru (my big problem, thanks gene-pool !)

Sorry to turn this into a hair forum! I've learned so much these last couple of months and just when I think I know what to do some wrench gets thrown in like hair growth or weather change!

On the plus side when I was taking pics this morning to post, I had more good hair pics than bad ones and my good hair days are also outnumbering my bad ones :)

Hi girls! Rest weekend! My legs are tire from being worked everyday! 2 more weeks and I can add upper body again! It does seem to be the hair forum! Lisa, you are well informed! I will try Sally's, I have been wanting to try Wen, but I'm too cheap to try! Hope everyone had a good weekend. I am done with basketball, till Wed! We had a ball! Of course I am paying for it a little right now, but all worth it! Jody, how was visit with your dad? Roxie, did you have a party today? Ronne, what did you guys do? Murphy, you still out there? Have a good night! Mary

Lisa, I've no poo'd and slathered on a variety of conditioners only from biolage to clairol herbal essence and and ion products from Sally's and never had the results that I got from Wen so I am not sure what is in it or if it just the consistently NOT using a sulfate shampoo. I am open to finding a cheaper alternative, but I am not sure I could live without it/Wen right now.

There are about 6 or 7 formulations of Wen but the ones that work for me are primarily 6-13, and then Pomegranate and Winter Vanilla Mint and Fig. One of my dd uses Wen as a conditioner or as cleanser and conditioner) and one dd (who already had to die for hair) can't use Wen at all, at least not any of the ones I like. Makes her Flat and greasy. Eww.

What surprises me is that such a conditioning cleanser leaves my hair full and luxurious in a way I have never experienced before.

I didn't get out of the house at all today so I didn't get the protein stuff, but I will try it this week. Again, thanks for sharing all your info.

Workout wise, i completed Muscle Max. That was a good workout for me. I skipped dance, I needed the time at home with no company to get Zen with my household.

Visit with Dad was really nice. It helps if I don't have anything else I need to take care of so I can go with his flow. And we now have a flat screen TV, blue ray dvd player, and a new light ceiling fixture in my tv room (supposed to be a dining room and it had a low hanging light so now it is flush with the ceiling). : D

That is the good news, bad news I have to find a home for previous hand me down tv that is 32 inches and is HEAVY to move. Plus I need to pull pics and documents from computer that has been stored for 2 years before I boot it down the road.

Mary I wonder if your non intentional Leg Rotation will end up leaving you with results you end up loving? I know you are itching to do some curls or push ups asap. : )

Have a good one all!

Good Evening,

This morning I did Ellen Barretts Yogini thinking it would stretch me out instead it was thigh and bun focused so my legs didn't get a break. This afternoon I wanted to enjoy the beautiful weather with a walk but I had to go DH's twin nephews 3rd birthday party.

Lisa-thanks again for all your info you are right a little overwhelming but I will figure it out.

Jody-thanks for your opinion.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.