40s Spring into action 19/04

MMA -- Fusion

Okay, today I was a rollie-pollie, and a turtle -- yes, I did MMA Fusion. I'm still short of breath on all of the down-and-up moves... this may be as good as it gets for me. I'm buying a heart rate monitor so I don't drop dead from this (and kettlebells and fusion). I've always had a high heart rate during exercise, but I've read that it can be dangerous to let it get to high... especially at "our age."

Still editing. Mad at DH for losing his temper yesterday. I know he's under a ton of stress, but c'mon.... It's tough to be not speaking to each other when you have to work together and produce an entire training program. Ugh. I need a vacation... without the family. :mad:

On a more positive note, I've done a better job watching what I eat this week, so maybe my weigh in on Saturday will be less shocking. (Maybe I should wear a heart monitor for that, too!)

Lisa: I love the dress! It's perfect. Take some statement accessory (scarf, necklace, big earrings -- not all at once) and you're good to go. Regarding the legs: I use self-tanner because I'm pale. I don't wear stockings on cruises unless it's for formal night and I have closed-toe shoes. Take a pashmina or sweater because it's always freezing on cruise ships, and you're likely to end up seated under an air conditioning vent. (I always freeze, so maybe it's just me!)

What color are your shoes? I don't go with the stylish wisdom on stockings that says they're tacky no matter what. Have you ever seen actresses freezing on the red carpet in NYC (January, with the snow blowing) and they're bare-legged? To me, it just looks silly. Nude stockings are supposed to be a no-no (but I wear them anyway). Sheer colored would be better, and patterned are considered even more stylish. But I guarantee that there's no way you'd stand out on a cruise, no matter what you wear. I've seen all sorts of jaw-dropping outfits on formal night... from T-shirts and shorts, to floor-length and sequined gowns (that must take up a ton of room in the suitcase).

Ronne, I agree with you on the news coverage of the so-called ash cloud. And now the coverage is about the over-stated risks involved (was grounding all those flights really necessary?), and all of the money that the airlines lost because of it. You know it's always something with the media!

Well, I've got to go deal with work. It's going to be a rough day for many reasons, so I think this post is as good as it's going to get. Bye, all!

For now quick fly by....did plyo legs today. Next week starts the commute to work :( and now for the next 4 days I have to cover for the team lead while she is on vacation :eek: say whaaaat? I don't know much about ALL the stuff she knows (it's all in her head, not documented anywhere)....I know the bare minimum! Maybe I should be flattered, but I think it's more a matter of the fact I'm in Boulder as me and the one other girl that's in Boulder are covering for her. They are stuck in this "everything must be local" phase...the pendulum as swung the other way from 6 yrs ago........that is, except for the global resources that they must still get dirt cheap. Did that sound like I"m complaining? yea, well, I am.

ok, back for proper personals (and with a slight attitude adjustment).

Kathryn, you cracked me up with "rollie pollie/turtle"! Thanks for the laugh (and visual). I hope your weight is less! I'm having weight issues of my own, wonder if the stress of the last 6 mths or so with Maddy contributed (as did the chocolate). Or is it the fact I move less during the 7 hrs I work a day? Or is it the fact I'm older? Or is it that I don't eat like Cathe....I can't, but I THINK I can get to a reasonable weight! It's just sooooo disheartening since I workout religiously and eat semi well .... a girl just can't LIVE can she? I do have a nice necklace all picked out and this dress is for the formal night (although I have strappy dress shoes). Funny, I worry about being too WARM! Remember, I'm used to no humidity and not so high temps, when we went to Mexico one time, I thought I would die! Speaking of WARM, talked to my oldest sis (not the pain in the butt one), she is 54 this year, I guess now that she is in meno the hot flashes are unbearable! So not looking forward to THAT!

Ronne, glad to hear from you! I do hope you find something to rent for vacation...it's sooo much work finding stuff, sigh. I've always been the vacation planner in the family (isn't it always us women), and planning this cruise kept my mind off of Maddy, but was a lot of reading, add to the fact I think I need reading glasses most all of the time(especially when doing a lot of reading), then going back to normal distance vision took it's toll. My eyes are having a hard time adjusting to using glasses for close up and nothing for distance that everything seemed blurry all the time ! But I guess I digress.....

Murphy, I haven't been sleeping too much either, I have no little ones though (just a cat that wakes us up if we aren't up when she thinks we should be......normally the dog would have me up, now the cat longingly looks at our bedroom door (DS told me this) and finally cranks out a siamese MEOW!)....back to not sleeping....I'm blaming horomones...grrr we will never get away from them will we?

Mary, what lake? what do you do there? relax? I forget where you are located.

better run, again, get a little work done before I go to the hairdresser for a haircut.

Well, the little is sort-of sleeping, waking up once now. But, as usual, I am sick. New Kids in DD's daycare class. Why am I the one who always gets sick? I mean really, haven't I built up an immunity to something by now?

I am managing to get a walk in but not much else.

Murphy

Murphy, I feel for you! Kids are such germ-spreaders, aren't they? DD was so disappointed that I didn't volunteer in her class this year, but she understands how easily I catch respiratory illnesses and doesn't want me to be sick. It really does get easier as your kids get older. And it can't help that you don't get enough sleep, rest, or free time, either!

Lisa, on a cruise you will likely bake in the ports of call, and be cold on the ship. I was often chilly by the pool because it is so windy. And the air conditioning on the ship is set to "arctic." I went on one cruise without a sweatshirt and ended up buying an overpriced, unattractive one on-board.

Have you booked a trip yet? Which itinerary? I think I've done all of the Caribbean routes, since I've been on 7 or 8 cruises.

Regarding the weight gain: It's probably a combination of things -- winter, the stress of Maddy's declining health, your newly sedentary life (thanks to the job), and (dare I say it?) slowing metabolism due to age. Your poor sister and the hot flashes... how long has that been going on? How long does it last -- years? I really don't look forward to all of the fun stuff that menopause dumps on you. I have a hard enough time as it is... I don't need to be fatter, moodier, and more forgetful! Oh, and more sleep-deprived, either.

Speaking of forgetful: I forgot how to use our complicated wine-bottler opener the other day... but maybe it's for the best. Now if I could only forget where DH keeps his chocolate stash. I made him put it on a very high shelf that I can't reach without hauling out a stool. He's tall; he can reach it easily. But it's too much trouble for me to bother.

Well, the boss is going to be back any minute, so I have to get back to work. I just wanted to pop in and commiserate a bit!

Hi everyone! Today was BM2, cardio premix, hadn't done step in awhile, kind of fun I guess! Murphy, sorry to hear about being sick again, Kathryn is right, it happens a lot less the older they get. Kathryn, my DH was crabby this week too! I'm so glad that he snapped out of it! It is funny, they get to be in a bad mood, however, we are not allowed! Lisa, don't worry about the weight, you look beautiful just as you are! We are healthy, that is soo important, when I am in the hospital, I see people our age with such terrible health issues, that is what mainly keeps me turning on the TV, that and vanity! LOL! Ronne, did you find a place to rent? Glad to hear that all is well there, when we watch the news it seems like all of Europe is under a black cloud of ash! Talk to you tomorrow! Mary

Kathryn, below is where we will be each day. Now I have to wait patiently, then as it gets closer I'll have to plan some shore excursions. The travel agent asked when we would like to celebrate our 25th anniv while on board....wonder if we'll get something special? :)

SAN JUAN, PUERTO RICO
ST. CROIX, U.S.V.I.
BASSETERRE, ST. KITTS
ROSEAU, DOMINICA
CASTRIES, ST. LUCIA
BRIDGETOWN, BARBADOS
ST. GEORGE'S, GRENADA
AT SEA
WILLEMSTAD, CURACAO
ORANJESTAD, ARUBA
AT SEA
SAN JUAN, PUERTO RICO

Mary, you are correct, health is the most important thing. DH still insists some of the weight gain is from muscle, and there is probably some as I have some nice cuts in my arms and legs (most of the weight probably went to my pooch and hips....of course). That BM2 cardio premix is hard, isn't it? How many times did you hit pause? :) I normally only have to pause at the beginning of the power circuits, but last time I couldn't seem to get enough air! Hey, I just had a funny thought....when we get to be 70+ we may be doing Cathe dvds with an oxygen tank! :) Oh, the visual!

Lisa, how long is this cruise? That is a lot of ports of call! Of those, I've been to:
SAN JUAN, PUERTO RICO
ST. CROIX, U.S.V.I.
BASSETERRE, ST. KITTS
BRIDGETOWN, BARBADOS
ORANJESTAD, ARUBA

I especially like Barbados. We used to vacation there when I was a child (Dad was an airline pilot).

I have some pix from Aruba on my FB profile (took the kids there the month that Natalie Holloway disappeared).

That sounds like a great cruise! You'll have such a nice time, and it will be warmer because you'll be closer to the equator. I can't wait to see pictures (you will post some, won't you?) and to hear all about it! Which cruise line? (Sorry if you already said -- I have that Swiss-cheese brain... full of holes!)

Mary, I'd forgotten that you're a nurse. Tough job -- and you remind me of how fortunate we are to be so healthy. My parents both have serious health issues, so good health is truly a blessing.

Okay, I've got to get DS moving to go to school, but wanted to check in. I did Santa Monica today. Very tough and I really struggled. I don't know what's going on, but I haven't felt very perky this week. I may need that oxygen tank sooner than 70!

Bye, all!

Hi all

Well, Lisa, I'm now doubly jealous, having seen the itinerary. I'd love to go back to the Caribbean sometime. We went there for our honeymoon (the BVI for two weeks, absolute bliss).

Mary, we've almost got somewhere else sorted out. The good news is that they refunded the money on the other place straight away. I find those BM2 cardio premixes really tough, don't often manage them on 2 risers.

Murph - sorry to hear you're ill again. It's such a bummer!!

Kathryn - sounds like you need to go easy. Perhaps your body's telling you need a break!

I did yoga today for an hour, managed a couple of things that I haven't done before, so yay me! Hope everyone has a good weekend whatever they're doing. The sun is shining here so it should be good!

Happy Friday! I'm sooooo glad it's the end of the week, yesterday was stressful at work and my neck is feeling it.....I need to learn to let go, it's just I'm too darn dedicated for my own good. I feel so responsible, yet there is nothing I can do, yet NO ONE else that needed to fix the problem seemed to be working. This is like dejavu (spelling) all over again from when I left this job 4 yrs ago. I DID NOT hit the chocolate though, so that's good! :)

I just did BM2 upper body premix minus the abs since I did abs yesterday, I plan on a 30 min run later....just to get rid of the stress!

Ronne, kudos on your yoga moves....I'm so jealous, I'm a pitiful sight doing any stretching (though I do it otherwise my body would never recover from these workouts). Glad your vacation plans are working out.

Kathryn, the cruise is 11 days long -- only 2 sea days, plus we are staying overnight in San Juan because the flight got in too late to get to the boat. It takes ALL DAY to fly from here to San Juan! We leave at 8:00am and get in at 6:30 pm, what a long day! The cruise line we are taking is Celebrity. Maybe your humidity is up there? It's sooooo sticky here, not like CO at all, raining so far for 2 days straight. Oh, and sure I"ll post pics of the cruise I'm sure many I'll look awful though (I hate how I photograph!)

Murphy, take care, get well, hang in there, it does get better. When my kids were young I thought we'd never be well again! Once the youngest got to about 1st grade things got better.

Hi to you Mary!

Better run and hope today is a better day! sigh

Kathryn, the cruise is 11 days long -- only 2 sea days, plus we are staying overnight in San Juan because the flight got in too late to get to the boat. It takes ALL DAY to fly from here to San Juan! We leave at 8:00am and get in at 6:30 pm, what a long day! The cruise line we are taking is Celebrity. Maybe your humidity is up there? It's sooooo sticky here, not like CO at all, raining so far for 2 days straight. Oh, and sure I"ll post pics of the cruise I'm sure many I'll look awful though (I hate how I photograph!)

Lisa, it takes all day to fly anywhere! You have to get to the airport six hours early, check the bags (always a line), go through security (always a line), get to your gate, wait and wait and wait, then get on (always a line), then wait to take off, then fly (the shortest part), then land and wait to get off (always a line), then wait for your bags (always a crowd), then wait for a cab... yup, it would take all day to get to the next state!

I love Celebrity -- they are understated, elegant (none of the Carnival neon!), and the food and service is outstanding! There will be few kids because they don't really attract families (we went twice before we had kids). But an 11-night cruise on that line means you'll have several formal and semi-formal nights. Make sure you check your itinerary, because I think you'll need more than one nice dress. As I recall, people do dress on Celebrity. (I doubt you'll see t-shirts in the dining room!)

Unless things have changed, they're less-known for their shows and entertainment (Carnival has the lock on that, although I think RC does a great job, too). But it should be wonderful and relaxing... no annoying announcements blaring in your room ("Good morning, campers!") -- ugh; just a fun, relaxing vacation.

Good job avoiding the chocolate under stress. Having it up too high to reach has really helped me.

Well, I just wanted to pop by and respond to your post. I hate the way I look in pictures these days -- I just don't photograph as well as I used to. But I think you look great in photos -- I love your profile photo with Maddy!

Kathryn, yea, that's pretty much what I've heard about Celebrity re: the entertainment....DH is happy as there is a free sushi bar :) There is only 2 formal nights so plan to change the dress with a scarf for the second night and then for the others, I bought a long (mid calf) flowy black skirt and I have lots of fitted tops that it should look nice with.

I did think about moving the chocolate up high (great idea) but I had really good willpower yesterday. today didn't start off much better, and it's cold and rainy today so just adds to the whole BLAH mood then add in the PMS too, and what do you get?. I hope I can resist....off to get a bite and then hop on the treadmill. Next week I'll be in the office, I'm not to keen on that (especially with how the job is going lately). Everyone is in a crap mood it seems, either because they have to go into the office or because they've been told that if they are remote then they either move to Boulder, CO or find another job. Doesn't do much for moral and when you need someone to do something it's very frustrating. I hate the business side of things. I'll stick it out for 5 more months to finish my contract and re-evaluate if they renew it in Sept. Maybe if I stall enough to renew they'll give me an increase :) DH is so great, told me last night that if I wanted to quit I could, he would take care of me (he also told my Mom when we took her off life support 8 yrs ago that he would take care of me and not to worry, such a sweetheart!)

Hi girls! That cruise sounds like heaven Lisa! Just think 11 day with just you and DH! Will be like a whole new romance! Sorry to hear about work, all the politics does get draining, I thought iBM was one of the better corporations to work for? I keep my chocolate right out in the open, if I hid it, then I would eating waaay more of it! Murphy, how are you feeling? Any better? Kathryn, maybe your body is just screaming for a rest day? Ronne, yoga looks so good in theory, but in practice, I am terrible at it! Today will be chest, shoulders and tri's, also need to do another plyo with DS, he thinks it is fun jumping around! Have a good weekend everyone! Talk to you Mon. Mary

Just a quck pop-in to say hello and to wish everyone a sun-filled weekend.

Murphy
ps - I am feeling bettter, now it is just a stuffy head and cough.

I'm back to checkin in again! I just ran 5.5 miles....was only going to go 3 but it felt sooooo good that I kept going! I'm going to miss having my lunchtime to get sweaty! As the saying goes for us old time IBMers....."this ain't your father's IBM anymore". While I was running on the treadmill the rain turned to snow! Springtime in the Rockies, you can have spring, summer, fall and winter all in the same day!

Lisa, IBM changed about 8 years ago or so... My BFF's husband worked there, was nearly 100% vested in his pension when he was laid off, paid off, and kicked to the unemployment curb. IBM used to be the gold standard for corporate behavior (DH is an industrial organizational psychologist; I hear a lot about this stuff), but it's not anymore. Lean and mean days in business, and everybody is expendable.

(Except me, apparently. :D Why else would I never get a day off?)

I like yoga, but on yoga days I feel like I haven't really worked out.

Mary, how can my body be screaming for a rest day? I just took Wednesday off! But I've run out of my workout recovery formula (I swear this stuff really helps), so maybe that's it. I use Biotest Surge Recovery, and it helps me overcome even the toughest workouts!

Well, I have to haul DD to a friend's house. Have a great weekend, everybody! Lisa, I hope you don't have to shovel that snow!

Bye, all!

Kathryn, do NOT get me started on pension loss! Especially while I'm on my cardio coach high! I lost soooooooo much pension it isn't funny, and don't get me started on health care insurance. No more health care ins for life, not even for DH who does get the traditional pension (not me because I wasn't old enough when the changed the plan----reverse discrimination?) That's why I'm working hard to stay healthy so that I can delay any health care issues, especially with my bad genes!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.