1450 is not a big number

eminenz2

Cathlete
MyFitnessPal has set my daily calorie intake at 1450 cals/day in order to lose 1 lb/week.

Let me tell you, 1450 does not go far, even if you are making good choices. ;)

OK. I think I can do this. I won't like it, but I will try. Sigh. :confused:

You can do it!

My # is 1310 for same weight loss. Eat fiber, I can't stress that enough. Eat back your exercise calories, there's a sticky thread on the newbie forum that explains. I fit in a nightly cup of hot chocolate to satisfy my sweet tooth. I enter that and pre planned dinner early in day so I know what's available for lunch and snacks.

I have lost 6 lbs since jan 1 sticking to plan all but one day, working out 5-6 days per week. Same username over there of you want to friend, knowing others can see my diary keeps me from eating too much junk. Everyone is very supportive!

Good luck!

Suethepoo thats a great idea, to add the snack at night first thing..never thought of that,
They have mine on 1200 :( lol
Thats y i like to exercise to cause i always go over on 1200. But i have not lost yet. I think i need a food scale or get foods in one servings ..

My Fitness Pal numbers are a deficit BEFORE you exercise. You have to eat back the calories you burn in the gym and you are still at a 500 calorie deficit.

Here is a post that clears up the confusion.

For those confused or questioning "Eating your exercise calo | MyFitnessPal.com

"On our website (MyFitnessPal), when you enter your goals, there is a prebuilt deficit designed to keep you in the "normal" metabolic functionality while still burning more calories then you take in. This goal DOES NOT INCLUDE exercise until you enter it."

No it doesn't!! I won't go less than 1500 calories a day. I'm just down right grumpy if I do, but I much prefer 1800 calories a day with my level of exercise.

Good luck whatever you choose.

Suethepoo thats a great idea, to add the snack at night first thing..never thought of that,
Thats y i like to exercise to cause i always go over on 1200. But i have not lost yet. I think i need a food scale or get foods in one servings ..

Renee my food scale has really helped me with portion size. I recommend it, especially one with a tare function.

experience with myfitnesspal

What I have found is that myfitnesspal does estimate calories ~150-200 lower than loseit and similar sites. Just using my own stats this is also true (but more like 200-300 calories less) in comparison with what I get using the Miflin St Jeor or the Sterling-Pasmore equations for weight loss.

All that to say that I will actually count my exercise on this site and still have steady weight loss, where most calorietrackers/weight watcher's online if I add in for exercise I stand still weight wise. In fact I HAVE to count my exercise or I will fall over, 1200 kcals is not sustainable for me, and if it isn't sustainable what is the point in starting down that road...

I use a food scale because of this video by Leigh Peel. I used to just do the measuring cup thing, but the video made me a convert.

My Fitness Pal numbers are a deficit BEFORE you exercise. You have to eat back the calories you burn in the gym and you are still at a 500 calorie deficit.

Here is a post that clears up the confusion.

For those confused or questioning "Eating your exercise calo | MyFitnessPal.com

"On our website (MyFitnessPal), when you enter your goals, there is a prebuilt deficit designed to keep you in the "normal" metabolic functionality while still burning more calories then you take in. This goal DOES NOT INCLUDE exercise until you enter it."

So I can go to the website and alter my profile or something to add exercise calories? On my iphone you have to add every single exercise and weight, etc.

OK, I've just been there for about 20 minutes looking throuh the forums and I don't see anything helpful yet.

Last edited:
So I can go to the website and alter my profile or something to add exercise calories? On my iphone you have to add every single exercise and weight, etc.

OK, I've just been there for about 20 minutes looking throuh the forums and I don't see anything helpful yet.

I don't know how to use it.:confused: I'm on Jamie Eason's Live Fit trainer and follow the micro/calorie recommendations given there. I use MFP to calculate my micros based on my goals.

You all are amazing...seriously I'm in awe at your dedication.

I've never followed a caloric diet plan, or type of eating plan. I'm pretty simple when it comes to what I eat and boring too, usually based on what I'm going to be doing that day. The only theory I tried at one point was eating every 2 to 3 hours which made me lose what *hunger* really feels like.

What I am fanatic about is tracking my burn calories and I have this minimum I must achieve weekly or I feel completely off. So I guess I do it in reverse, but its works for me. I track this through Polar ProTrainer software which is an incredible training tool for the sports that I'm in.

Me too! I find if I fill in all my meals first then work around whats left. :)
I have found fitness pal to be a great tool in helping with my sugar -- I had no idea the sugar that is in my "normal" foods. Like fruit! :)

I am also using myfitnesspal.com. MFP also set my cal to 1200 a day:confused: I didn't lose any weight, was constanley hungry. I read through Chris Freytags diet plan that came with her workout dvds to eat between 1500- 1600 cal a day,that sounded good to me:). She recommends eating between 1500 -1600 cal a day. eating 400 cal for breakfast/lunch & dinner= 1200 cal, plus have 2 snacks between 150-200 cal. It took me awhile to play around with the cal on MFP, so far the 1600 cal a day is working for me.

I am also using myfitnesspal.com. MFP also set my cal to 1200 a day:confused: I didn't lose any weight, was constanley hungry. I read through Chris Freytags diet plan that came with her workout dvds to eat between 1500- 1600 cal a day,that sounded good to me:). She recommends eating between 1500 -1600 cal a day. eating 400 cal for breakfast/lunch & dinner= 1200 cal, plus have 2 snacks between 150-200 cal. It took me awhile to play around with the cal on MFP, so far the 1600 cal a day is working for me.

So if u dont mind me asking, how tall r u? Im thinkibg it is because im short and i have a desk job.

So if u dont mind me asking, how tall r u? Im thinkibg it is because im short and i have a desk job.

I am short too:p I do a lot of heavy weight lifting. I had to up my calories, 1200 is way to low. I was gaining weight not losing any. I also did the 8.5 month STS rotation and the 3.5 month rotation, no way couldn't do it on a 1200 cal a day:eek: I will stick to the 1600 cal a day for awhile, meaning I will not go lower. If I am still hungry, I eat lots of veggies and lean proteins.Once I pick up the heavy weight training again I will up my cal even more. Sometimes you have to play around with the numbers, if you don't see any results. I also eat my exercise calories. I also get very grumpy if I don't eat. I have bad case of PF and a heal spur, once I pick up my workouts again, so will my calories.
I also have my carbohydrate set at 40%, protein 30% and fat 30 % on my MFP. Hope this helps.

So 'eating your workout calories' generally means on days that I workout, I can give myself extra calories to make up for the calories spent on the workout? So for example, if my MFP calories are 1450, if I workout that day, I can eat like 1650?

So 'eating your workout calories' generally means on days that I workout, I can give myself extra calories to make up for the calories spent on the workout? So for example, if my MFP calories are 1450, if I workout that day, I can eat like 1650?

Thats what i understand it to mean.

Yes, enter your exercise into the app and it will give you a new, higher calorie budget for the day. For weights enter calories as cardio. HTH!

If you are on MFP check out the Eat More To Weigh Less group aka Eat More 2 Weigh Less. Kiki and Lucia have some awesome info on there and are great teachers on how to eat enough to lose weight. My TDEE is 1,871 but MFP set me at around 1,400 (if I remember correctly).

Thanks for all the tips!

I haven't found a way to enter my Cathe workouts on MFP and get calorie 'credit' for it.

And I will def look up the 'eat more to weigh less' group on the MFP forums.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.