Oatmeal Cookies (Clean Eating Magazine)

Nonstick cooking spray
1/2 canola oil
1/3 cup plus 2T. sucanat
1 egg white
3/4 tsp. vanilla
3 T. water
2 cups old fashioned oatmeal Quaker oatmeal (large flakes)
2/3 cup whole wheat flour
1/4 tsp. sea salt
1/2 tsp. baking soda
2/3 cup raisins
1 tsp. cinnamon

Preheat oven to 350. Grease baking sheet with cooking spray (I did not grease mine). In a bowl hand mix oil and sucanat. Add egg whites, vanilla and water, mix well. Add oats, flour, salt, baking soda, raisins and cinnamon, and mix until just blended to retain the texture of the oats. Drop by teaspoonfuls on baking sheets and bake for 10-15 or until bottoms are lightly browned. Sometimes I add chopped dark chocolate (70% cocoa)

Per cookie
Calories-70
Total fat- 3.5 grams
Carbs-9 grams
Protein-1 gram
Fiber-1 gram
Sugars-4 grams

Roselyn
Thanks for posting the recipe for oatmeal cookies. I just bought some sucanat and will be making these cookies soon!

Oatmeal cookies are a proverbial favorite with both kids and adults. This crisp and chewy cookie is loaded with oats, dried fruit, and chopped nuts. This recipe comes from Jane Rodmell's 'Best Summer Weekends Cookbook' and it's a real winner. She even tells us that we can make the batter ahead of time and leave it in the refrigerator so we can make freshly baked cookies on demand.

There is always the question of what type of rolled oats to use in baking; old-fashioned or quick-cooking. Both start with oats that are cleaned, toasted, and hulled to become what we call oat groats. The difference between the two is in the thickness of the oats after the oat groats have been steamed and flattened. Old-fashioned rolled oats are thicker because to make quick-cooking rolled oats the oat groats are first cut into pieces before being steamed and flattened. Although they are usually interchangeable in recipes I do recommend using old-fashioned rolled oats in this recipe as I prefer their thicker texture and superior flavor.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.