Shoes

Melissa Pruette

I have been doing step aerobics with Cathe for years now but as I've gotten older (50) I am struggling to find shoes that work well for me with step. Most shoes I've tried allow my foot to move around too much within my shoe. I am looking for something with good arch support but cushioned for the 'jumping' and something that will offer more stability so that my foot doesn't move side to side or forward. Seems most shoes I've found and tried fit more like running shoes in that it is too roomy in the front of the shoe. I get calluses from my foot moving too much or numb toes from trying to create more stability.

Asics fan here! I typically look for great heel cushioning and lateral support. Asics does that for me and I only workout at home, on low pile carpet, Cathe and other instructors. So my Asics do it all for me. I've tried many others but always go back to Asics. Hmmm why do I even bother with "others"? But you have to search for your own feet. Good luck.

I have been doing step aerobics with Cathe for years now but as I've gotten older (50) I am struggling to find shoes that work well for me with step. Most shoes I've tried allow my foot to move around too much within my shoe. I am looking for something with good arch support but cushioned for the 'jumping' and something that will offer more stability so that my foot doesn't move side to side or forward. Seems most shoes I've found and tried fit more like running shoes in that it is too roomy in the front of the shoe. I get calluses from my foot moving too much or numb toes from trying to create more stability.

I guess it all kind of depends upon your foot type (flat, normal, or high), your level of pronation, any special issues you might have (bow legs or anything else that can change how you step), and the type of flooring you work out on. I've seen Cathe using Nike Frees for awhile, but she has tiny little feet and is petite. I wear an 10.5B and am not so petite, so I normally choose either a Ryka which goes up higher on the ankle (like Tenacity or Enhance models), a very minimalist shoe (Merrell sells some that are great), or I wear no shoes at all. It can depend on the speed and difficulty of the workout. It is REALLY hard for just about everyone to find the ideal step shoe these days, regardless of how perfect their feet are and such...it's a problem in the industry at large. :(

One thing that's really important for me in terms of the slippery feeling you're experiencing is avoiding the cute, modern socks with a slick feel to them. They're adorable, but shoes with a high fabric count of polyester or CoolMax or something else "wicking" is usually very problematic. They're fine to just wear in your day-to-day sneakers, but with something like step, they can be downright dangerous to someone who's as much of a klutz as I am. This may not apply to you, or maybe you don't wear socks at all, but I thought I'd mention this issue.

Hi Melissa! Here is a good article to read before going out looking for fitness shoes. It mentions arch support points (and other points) that could be helpful. Good luck with your shoe shopping.

http://www.bing.com/fd/ls/GLinkPing...QuY29tL29kL3Nob2Vzc29ja3MvaHQvU2hvZUZpdC5odG0

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.