Intermittent Fasting plan....started yesterday.

What about working out? Do you workout on a fast day? Make it an easier one? How about the morning after a fast day? Do you eat before a workout, or after? I'm going to give this a try too, but wonder about exercise.

Personally, I can't workout on an empty stomach. Some people on this plan can, but not me! So I do not fast on workout days. I am doing back to back fasts on the weekend, since I am usually away from home, and keeping very busy.

They claim that a workout after a fast burns even more calories. I would just pass out, since I am on meds. And when I work out, it is to total exhaustion. Can't do that without something for energy.

I am down another .8 lb.

Personally, I can't workout on an empty stomach. Some people on this plan can, but not me! So I do not fast on workout days. I am doing back to back fasts on the weekend, since I am usually away from home, and keeping very busy.

They claim that a workout after a fast burns even more calories. I would just pass out, since I am on meds. And when I work out, it is to total exhaustion. Can't do that without something for energy.

I am down another .8 lb.

Good job on the weight loss!

You go girl LOL!! That's fantastic, you must be so happy with these results. I'm actually finding this plan not all that bad. I also find it easier on weekends so I did another "fast" from Friday 7pm til Saturday 6pm, had a small meal and then nothing til breaky Sunday am. I even did a 90 minute Barre workout - Leah Sarago's DVD's, and felt fine. As long as i keep busy I'm ok. I happened to find this book at a booksale this weekend and am impressed at the other health advantages related to cardiac/ diabetes/ alzheimer's disease etc so would actually like to continue doing this for those reasons.
Jamie

Decided to give this a try. I'm only 15 hrs in, so far, so good. I think tonight will be the hardest for me. I will let you know if I eat the whole fridge. But, like I said, so far so good.
Karen

Karen, I advise that you lock up the Cookie Butter and throw away the key. :)

Thanks to everyone for sharing your experiences on this. It's been very interesting to learn about.

Lisa

Today was my first day and i was really scared b/c I can get crabby when I get hungry. I did do Plyo 1 and supersets this morning so was worried about that affecting how hungry I got today, but overall I think I managed pretty well. I didn't eat until about 12:30 and it was 1/2 cup greek yogurt and some berries. I did stretch out eating it for about an hour. Then I had a good dinner of kale, baked chicken and avocado for dinner. Total food calories - 479. I'm a little hungry, but will have some tea (or three) and hope that holds me until I fall asleep. I'm hoping tomorrow isn't a total free-for-all though. My next fast day will be on Wednesday. We'll see how that goes.

Thanks Horselady for starting this thread!

Wow! I am glad that others are trying it! After a while, it gets to be second nature, but it is trying at first!

I always was afraid to allow myself to be hungry. I don't know why but now I find that I look for that feeling, as if I now associate it with good health.

More power to us all!

The only workouts I can't do in a fasted state are really heavy lifting (eg STS meso 3). Otherwise I'm always surprised by how much energy I have.

Love the idea of pickles .....they'd curb my appetite. Or do you havethe pickles and hot choc together. Now that really would make we want to fast! ;)

I was thinking about pickles yesterday too. They are a great secret weapon. I also was surprised at how much energy I had - all day (except for a slump around 3, which really pushed my commitment to the max).
Horselady, how many weeks have you been fasting? One thing that also really surprised me was how I could feel hungry and, while I did wish I could have something, I could just be hungry - that's it, just be hungry. My world wasn't going to fall apart. interesting. I hope I can keep that perspective over time.

I MADE IT THROUGH THE FAST. It was easier than I thought it would be. The only time I got hungry, is when I ate something. When I drank tea, I was fine. Now I know what to expect. Will definitely do this again.

Oh, and my new fast day secret weapons....pickles and hot chocolate!

Love the idea of pickles .....they'd curb my appetite. Or do you havethe pickles and hot choc together. Now that really would make we want to fast! ;)

As I sit here super duper 3rd trimester pregnant, I was thinking I was the only one on the forums who could possibly salivate at the idea of pickles and hot chocolate. Guess I'm not alone. But, yeah, not together...pickles and ice cream together...that's another story (shout out to I Love Lucy!). ;)

On a serious note, don't know if anyone here has gotten into the bone broth craze, but I find it to be very satisfying and comforting. Might work for fast days as something else to drink besides tea or hot chocolate.

Lisa

As I sit here super duper 3rd trimester pregnant, I was thinking I was the only one on the forums who could possibly salivate at the idea of pickles and hot chocolate. Guess I'm not alone. But, yeah, not together...pickles and ice cream together...that's another story (shout out to I Love Lucy!). ;)

On a serious note, don't know if anyone here has gotten into the bone broth craze, but I find it to be very satisfying and comforting. Might work for fast days as something else to drink besides tea or hot chocolate.

Lisa

Love me some bone broth. My dogs love it too. (I remember that 'I Love Lucy.')

Congratulations Karen! Nice work. When are you planning day 2?

I'm doing day 2 tomorrow and am scared again. I can't get over how much a little hunger (and I mean a little when you think about all those folks in Nepal right now) is freaking me out. I'm hoping it's a little like a new exercise DVD. The first day you do it you're like, "oh this is way harder than I can do" and you take a lot of breaks, but then after you've done it three or four times you know what to expect so the hard parts don't seem so hard. Crossing my fingers for that to happen after a few more times. :)

Wish me luck.

Last edited:
HI! I have been struggling on and off for a couple of years with that stubborn last 20 lbs to lose, plus the muffin top, etc. I am 53, and it is frustrating to work out, eat "right", and not see the fat budge! I am sure I am not alone.

So I was looking at CNN or something yesterday, and saw an article from the UK about a plan that was developed in 2013. The book is called "The Fast Diet": "fast" as in "fasting", not speedy!

I have never fasted. I LOVE food, and the more I thought about it, that is all I think about! I have always been afraid of being hungry. So I read the book, and some of the forums, and decided to give it a try.

The basic premise is 5:2.....in other words, you drop your calories to around 500 for 2 non-consecutive days. The other 5 you eat normally. Keep your workouts the same, with hiit recommended.

And the research shows that your body does NOT go into starvation mode. It takes a lot longer for that to happen.

There other versions of this: ADF, alternate day fasting, and so on. The intermittent is supposed to be more sustainable. Anyhow, I am about 18 hours into my first fasting day, and it is a lot easier than I thought it would be! I will try to post periodically to let you know my results.

HI! I have been struggling on and off for a couple of years with that stubborn last 20 lbs to lose, plus the muffin top, etc. I am 53, and it is frustrating to work out, eat "right", and not see the fat budge! I am sure I am not alone.

So I was looking at CNN or something yesterday, and saw an article from the UK about a plan that was developed in 2013. The book is called "The Fast Diet": "fast" as in "fasting", not speedy!

I have never fasted. I LOVE food, and the more I thought about it, that is all I think about! I have always been afraid of being hungry. So I read the book, and some of the forums, and decided to give it a try.

The basic premise is 5:2.....in other words, you drop your calories to around 500 for 2 non-consecutive days. The other 5 you eat normally. Keep your workouts the same, with hiit recommended.

And the research shows that your body does NOT go into starvation mode. It takes a lot longer for that to happen.

There other versions of this: ADF, alternate day fasting, and so on. The intermittent is supposed to be more sustainable. Anyhow, I am about 18 hours into my first fasting day, and it is a lot easier than I thought it would be! I will try to post periodically to let you know my results.
I have done my first day as well, and I think I may have to space out my food on the fast day for it to work for me. I had a whopping headache, I was nauseous and my mood was swinging from p&*(d off to wanting to cry. I don't overeat usually, but the 12 hours without eating hit me really hard.

Nancy, I read in the book that it can take several tries to figure out what works for you. If you're interested in this plan, just keep playing around with what works for you. Everyone has to go into it with a plan that works best for his/her body.

Good luck.

Congratulations Karen! Nice work. When are you planning day 2?

I'm doing day 2 tomorrow and am scared again. I can't get over how much a little hunger (and I mean a little when you think about all those folks in Nepal right now) is freaking me out. I'm hoping it's a little like a new exercise DVD. The first day you do it you're like, "oh this is way harder than I can do" and you take a lot of breaks, but then after you've done it three or four times you know what to expect so the hard parts don't seem so hard. Crossing my fingers for that to happen after a few more times. :)

Wish me luck.

GOOD LUCK!!! It was not as difficult as anticipated. I was not hungry. Maybe that means I eat too much and too often. I will definitely do this again. I may have to wait until next week to fast again. Have too much going on this week with family. (food) All the best!!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.