Inactivity Article

firemedic

Cathlete
I read the article about obese vs. inactivity and found it very interesting. I know that being less active due to my job is slowing down my weight loss. I do try to workout 60 to 120 mins a day, I do both cardio and weights during the week. But during most of the day, I do sit a lot. My question is, how often should I get up and move around? How many times per hour or hour many mins. per hour would help? I already take the stairs and park further away, so I just wanted to know what else I could do to improve on this. When ever something needs delivering to another department, I usually volunteer so I can walk and move around more, but there are days that doesn't happen. What about sitting on a stability ball instead of a chair, would that help? If anyone has any suggestions, it would be great.

Kim

I read the article about obese vs. inactivity and found it very interesting. I know that being less active due to my job is slowing down my weight loss. I do try to workout 60 to 120 mins a day, I do both cardio and weights during the week. But during most of the day, I do sit a lot. My question is, how often should I get up and move around? How many times per hour or hour many mins. per hour would help? I already take the stairs and park further away, so I just wanted to know what else I could do to improve on this. When ever something needs delivering to another department, I usually volunteer so I can walk and move around more, but there are days that doesn't happen. What about sitting on a stability ball instead of a chair, would that help? If anyone has any suggestions, it would be great.

Kim
Kim,
I don't have the answers to your specific questions, but do want to say that sitting on a stability ball is great! If it's viable for you (i.e., not too weird in your work environment), it's a great way to keep good posture and engage your core muscles. I don't know if it would burn more calories vs sitting in a chair, but if you struggle with posture while sitting at a desk most of the day (who wouldn't?), it's worth considering! (If you can bounce a wee bit on the ball while sitting, that would burn calories/help fight the effects of endless sitting, for sure. I know there was at least one previous article on Cathe's blog on the calorie-burning effects of fidgeting.)
Best of luck meeting your goals. I admire your dedication!
Roz

Thank you both. I found the article very helpful and I am trying to fit in more moving around every 15 mins or so. I am able to use a stability ball on certain days that I work, mostly if it's on the weekends and no one from the public comes in. I can dress casual so being on a ball will be more comfortable. So hopefully some of these changes will help.

Kim

Do you have a job where some of your sitting time still frees up your arms to do stuff? I was in customer service, so between calls or while listening to someone yak, I could work out a bit! I used to keep a pair of light dumbbells at my desk and one of those squishy little balls to work my hands during the day (helps prevent carpel tunnel). I'd do French presses, bicep curls, shoulder raises, rhomboid pinches and so on throughout the day to keep myself alert and tone up my arms a bit. A resistance band would work great, too. Pelvic floor and glute squeezes can be done all day with no one the wiser, as well. When possible, I'd stand up at my desk and stretch my legs and hips, or maybe I'd march in place for some minor movement. It got me a few stares, but whatever. I have a couple of friends that replaced their chair with a stability ball. Not bad for the back, and relies on the core throughout the day. I would usually try to get up and move once every hour, two hours max, getting some exercise for five minutes (if possible). Then I'd walk for a few minutes on my official breaks and lunch, outdoors if possible. I worked in hills and steps if I could...It definitely helped keep my energy up.

I think I'm going to take one of my bands to work and do some leg work at my desk now. Something like the turbo barre section with the band - luckily everyone at work knows how OCD I am about fitness LOL!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.