Shoe recommended for new workouts

runathon

Cathlete
I am looking into buying new shoes and wanted to know which Nike shoe(s) Cathe and the gang will be using.

I need lateral support and cushion.

If SNM does not reply, can anyone recommend a good cross-training shoe that can be used for all of the elements applied in the new series (weights, hiit, step, low-impact, etc.)?

Thank you.

I am looking into buying new shoes and wanted to know which Nike shoe(s) Cathe and the gang will be using.

If SNM does not reply, can anyone recommend a good cross-training shoe that can be used for all of the elements applied in the new series (weights, hiit, step, low-impact, etc.)?

Thank you.

As strange as this sounds I have been having my best workouts with Nike Running shoes. Their 5.0 Free and 5.0 Free V.4 style too. Studio shoes these days are not what they used to be and so I've had to venture out and find a new favorite type of shoe. We all have such unique feet. Some of us with high arches, some flat feet, some narrow, some wide, some pronate etc....there is really no way to recommend a specific shoe for that reason. But I can give a general recommendation that worked for me and the suggest you go try it on for size (literally) and fit and see what you think. Good Luck!

I usually end up with Asics. They give me a lot if cushioning and lateral support. I agree with Cathe about running shoes. They have excellent cushioning. And everyone has different needs so when you try them on, don't just walk around. Do some high knees, lateral skates, squats and so on. You may get funny looks but your feet will be happier for it!;)

I usually end up with Asics. They give me a lot if cushioning and lateral support. I agree with Cathe about running shoes. They have excellent cushioning. And everyone has different needs so when you try them on, don't just walk around. Do some high knees, lateral skates, squats and so on. You may get funny looks but your feet will be happier for it!;)

I do this all the time when buying new kicks. Funny looks, who cares ... I'm fitty years old!:cool:

I go back and fourth between Nike (running & training) and Asics (running). I usually have a least 2-3 pairs of workout shoes & rotate them on a daily basis. The podiatrists always recommend New Balance, but I have never had a good experience with that brand. I cannot find a shoe that gives me the lateral support that I crave, so I usually settle for cushioning.

Last edited:
Another Asics girl, here. I've been using them for running and Cathe workouts. (Not the same pair tho). I've even found different kicks that Cathe has used in past series, but my feet didn't like them. So, back to Asics I went. Good luck.

Thank you.

I use Asics as well. The ones I have are called "trainers", which I took to mean a cross training shoe. I used to use NB but they left me wanting. I only use my Asics for indoor workouts. I use the NBs for outdoor use which is basically leisurely walks around town, etc.

Shaun T posted something about the type of shoes he recommends for his two popular workouts. He stated that he has has flat feet. I do too so his comments on the subject interested me. One thing that surprised me is that he stated that when he's at home he does his workouts barefoot. I was always told that would be too hard on the knees but now it seems everyone is talking about minimalist shoes or going barefoot. I also read about this on another respected website, although they recommend gradually transitioning to going barefoot. I'll probably wear shoes but the info is interesting.

Anyway, here is the link about the type of shoes Shaun recommends: http://shauntfitness.com/insanity-shoes/

Fitness Friend,
Teals

Last edited:
Another Asics fan as I like the gel type cushioning. Funny but I can totally feel when they need replacing as my feet begin to ache with my workouts.

In fact, just bought a new pair last night !

As strange as this sounds I have been having my best workouts with Nike Running shoes. Their 5.0 Free and 5.0 Free V.4 style too. Studio shoes these days are not what they used to be and so I've had to venture out and find a new favorite type of shoe. We all have such unique feet. Some of us with high arches, some flat feet, some narrow, some wide, some pronate etc....there is really no way to recommend a specific shoe for that reason. But I can give a general recommendation that worked for me and the suggest you go try it on for size (literally) and fit and see what you think. Good Luck!

Cathe, thank you for your reply. It does help and I appreciate your assistance. My sons swear by Nike Free shoes. I guess I will have to look into getting a pair for myself.

Again, thanks! :)

I am typically an Asics girl, but I used the Nike Free for XTrain and love(d) them. They are a lower profile minimalist shoe that is a step closer to barefoot. They do not have a great amount of cushioning, but I felt really stable in them.

I know they've worked for a lot of people, but Asics were really bad for me, the Gel-Cushioning ones. I found that they were comfy in the ball of the foot, provided good cushioning overall, and they had great shock absorption. Compared to my Ryka Downbeat, night and day in the cushioning department. But I have a rather high instep, and although I don't have the most spectacular arches in the world, I underpronate (supinate). (If I lost a lot of weight, I have a sneaking suspicion my arches would actually be quite high.) The Asics felt a bit stiff in the arch and they didn't work well with my small heels. Despite feeling massive in the heel, I had to buy longer laces- they were so freaking short. This is one reason why I love Saucony. My heels are quite small compared to my forefoot and instep, and adding in a heel cup and/or pad is standard for me, except with Saucony. If Saucony made aerobics shoes, I'd be thrilled to the core! I've twisted my ankle a few times, too, and I just didn't feel enough support in jumps while wearing Asics. They left my heel and Achilles tendon really sore the next day. I also didn't feel comfortable with the lack of feeling for the floor that I had in the Asics. However, I love the barefoot trend and acknowledge my feet are probably not the norm.

What is working? Two different strategies. Sizing up in the Ryka Downbeats and adding a cushioned insole + tongue pad. The insole that comes with them as sold is meant to optimize step work, NOT for jumping, so substitution was essential. Downbeats are a bit snug in the toe area but wider/deeper in the instep, so they're not a shoe that will work for everyone. They are okay for me because of my higher instep. With modification, I get the lateral support, ankle support, and cushioning needed for jumps.

I recently bought a pair of K-Swiss tennis shoes. They weren't expensive. I bought them because they were a non-minimalist shoe (meaning they still have outside cushioning for your heel) without actually putting you into a wedge position where the heel is way up above your forefoot. While I still wish they came a bit higher up on the ankle, and they took a bit of breaking in, the cushioning is really nice! I may end up having to add in a heel cup and/or a tongue pad to improve the fit in the back just a tad, but overall they're nice. They also do double-duty for less intense step routines because they don't have all that crazy tread, and the toe is very smooth and straight-ahead at the front, not pointed upward like a running shoe. They come up higher on the ankle than the really low-profile shoes I'm seeing so often today. They look like classic, white aerobics shoes. Another big selling point is that they don't break the bank! They do run narrow, so if you have a wider foot, choosing the mens version (and choosing that equivalent size) is necessary:

http://www.amazon.com/K-Swiss-Women...r_1_3?s=apparel&ie=UTF8&qid=1424406021&sr=1-3

Also, it may seem really dumb or irrelevant, but I found my choice of socks was imperative to success with tougher routines. What I discovered is those slick, cute, low socks of today are indeed adorable and have so much more appeal visually. But for a serious exerciser with any kind of problem feet, that slippery fabric can be problematic. I am a klutz and don't have the greatest feet, granted. But a low shoe and slippery socks that are almost like wearing pantyhose in my shoes won't work to give me maximum grip and security on my feet. It makes me nervous if my shoes aren't just so for step or high-impact work. So I choose a predominately acrylic sock, either a quarter or crew sock. Because I have a longer foot, I swallowed my pride and bought the men's size (10-13) sock, not the standard 6-10 ladies sock. Silkies and Hanes both make acrylic socks; Hanes are cheaper and easier to locate, but not as high in quality as Silkies 3-in-1 Sock. Silkies makes a queen-size sock too, which is quite nice. All those Cool-Max socks and ones with space-age materials are indeed more breathable and fashionable, not to mention more up-to-date in looks. Yes, I know some people work out in their sneaks without socks, but I'm a child of the 80s and dear me...going without socks feels so gross to me! I look like a relic in my high-top Downbeat sneakers and crew socks, but I'm getting through my workout with ease, I don't feel like I might lose my balance or tear up my Achilles tendon, and that's what is vitally important. :)

Lacing correctly for your foot type and ankle support needs is also vital, but I'm sure anyone who dared read this has eyes glazing over already, so I'll shush. ;)

I was so glad to see this discussion in the forum...shoes are so important, esp to me and my poor aching feet.

Agree that running shoes in general provide much needed cushioning for my Cathe workouts. Saucony Excursion TR6 (I think TR8 is the latest iteration) worked very well for me. I've also found Ryka Intent XT worked well. I've found that most Nikes run small and if I size up, my heel slips, making me feel like the shoe's going to come off. Tightening the laces doesn't help, just makes the front of my foot feel squished.

My newest favorite is the Reebok CrossFit Nano 4.0. It's fantastic for plyo and hiit. Feels super light on yet gives lots of support. Reminds me in feel of the Nike Lunar Glide, but so much more cushioning and support.

Turquoise Eyes, I was so glad you mentioned the low-cut socks and slipping around inside the shoe - I thought I was the only one! Thanks for sharing.

I was so glad to see this discussion in the forum...shoes are so important, esp to me and my poor aching feet.

Agree that running shoes in general provide much needed cushioning for my Cathe workouts. Saucony Excursion TR6 (I think TR8 is the latest iteration) worked very well for me. I've also found Ryka Intent XT worked well. I've found that most Nikes run small and if I size up, my heel slips, making me feel like the shoe's going to come off. Tightening the laces doesn't help, just makes the front of my foot feel squished.

My newest favorite is the Reebok CrossFit Nano 4.0. It's fantastic for plyo and hiit. Feels super light on yet gives lots of support. Reminds me in feel of the Nike Lunar Glide, but so much more cushioning and support.

Turquoise Eyes, I was so glad you mentioned the low-cut socks and slipping around inside the shoe - I thought I was the only one! Thanks for sharing.

So funny, I was just looking at the CrossFit Nano 4.0 last night on Amazon! They are very steep in price on there, which would probably hold me back a bit from ordering. Ryka worries me a bit lately because their quality seems to be declining, and despite the resurgence in the style, their hi-top/step aerobics shoes are becoming fewer in numbers all the time. I may have to break down and order the last Downbeat and other step aerobics ones they have left in my size, much as I hate to buy ahead for something like that. Sometimes I find shoe companies stop at size 10, too. Hello, not all of us have small feet! When I wore 11W (pre-weight loss days), my choices were VERY limited...What is it with these shoe companies thinking that women who work out must wear a B width? Narrow sizes seem just as tough to find.

I must have tried five different brands of "cute" socks before realizing they were just too slippery. It may be different for different foot types, but some reviewers on Amazon that do routines like CrossFit or PX90 mentioned the slippery socks are bad for plyometric jumps and standing leg work. Acrylic or cotton just works best for me. And since I wear hi-tops, lo-cut socks would mean shoes rubbing against my ankle- ouch. :)

Turquoise Eyes, yes, the CrossFit Nanos are pricey. Amazon's (roughly, depends on the color/size combo) $105 is the lowest I've seen. Reebok's site sells them for $120. The earlier versions of Nano are cheaper, but I have no idea what the difference in cushioning, fit, etc might be. I'm watching for discounts!

If you are looking for a better selection in sizes and widths for running/workout shoes, you might want to check Roadrunnersports.com. They sell Ryka, Nike, Reebok, Saucony, Asics, New Balance, you name it, and they frequently send discount coupons. I buy a lot from them for myself, husband and son, so I got their "VIP" membership which is normally $25/year, but almost always discounted to much less. The VIP thing gives you 10% off anything you buy, always free shipping, and a 90-day love it or return it guarantee. I've found it's worth the $.

I have weird feet, in general. I love my high heels and consequently have a bunion on my left foot. My feet are technically B width, but I've found that a wider workout shoe is so much better for my feet - so that led me first to New Balance, then Saucony, both of which offer wider widths. I get that companies can't make every combination of size/width and make a profit, but it seems crazy to offer no alternative to B. With the Reebok CrossFit, I found the front is nice and roomy, so even though it's a B width, it's fine.

Turquoise Eyes, yes, the CrossFit Nanos are pricey. Amazon's (roughly, depends on the color/size combo) $105 is the lowest I've seen. Reebok's site sells them for $120. The earlier versions of Nano are cheaper, but I have no idea what the difference in cushioning, fit, etc might be. I'm watching for discounts!

If you are looking for a better selection in sizes and widths for running/workout shoes, you might want to check Roadrunnersports.com. They sell Ryka, Nike, Reebok, Saucony, Asics, New Balance, you name it, and they frequently send discount coupons. I buy a lot from them for myself, husband and son, so I got their "VIP" membership which is normally $25/year, but almost always discounted to much less. The VIP thing gives you 10% off anything you buy, always free shipping, and a 90-day love it or return it guarantee. I've found it's worth the $.

I have weird feet, in general. I love my high heels and consequently have a bunion on my left foot. My feet are technically B width, but I've found that a wider workout shoe is so much better for my feet - so that led me first to New Balance, then Saucony, both of which offer wider widths. I get that companies can't make every combination of size/width and make a profit, but it seems crazy to offer no alternative to B. With the Reebok CrossFit, I found the front is nice and roomy, so even though it's a B width, it's fine.

Thank you so much for the info and detailed replies first, joanm105. They are really helpful! I technically wear a B, strictly going off of measurements, too. However, the brand, the lacing style, whether I'm having a skinny feet day or my fibromyalgia is making me swell up, my stupid higher insteps and odd arches. Do you have any issues with buying a wide, it fitting great in the forefoot/arch, but then being ginormous is the heel/ankle? I buy tongue pads and heel pads and those heel cups to accommodate this. But it gets so old. I just want to put on a pair of shoes and go!

I love heels! They're just so pretty, so fun to wear! You know, I actually find they can feel BETTER than flats? Are you the same way? I guess because of my weird arches, they give support I don't get from ballet flats. I owned this Chaste ballet flat (can't remember the brand, maybe Clarks). Most painful shoes ever for me, even though others loved them! But yeah, is there a pair of shoes in existence that DOESN'T cause some kind of issue in the long run? Sigh.

It seems like underpronation/supination/neutral shoes are what a minority of women need, whereas stability shoes seem easier to locate. Or they assume underpronation = high arches = small woman = small shoe size. I was told for years I overpronated. They saw my fairly flat arches and just assumed I needed more stability. Then I got Saucony LE Echelon 2s, and wow- what a revelation! Wearing supination shoes actually gave me arches I never had before, and healed my knee pain.

I realize the footwear needs of Cathletes are high- we do such a wide variety of activities, we all have different feet, work out on different flooring, etc. But shoe quality HAS gone down with so many brands, and I don't understand it. (Avia is a good example of a company that used to be great, but now has a rep for terrible quality control.) Sad. I think a lot of women blame themselves for problems completing routines, when it's actually the shoes. I actually used to think, "If I was just more fit, then I wouldn't be struggling with this step routine (or whatever)." When I changed shoes, I was okay! Were it not for the Internet, I'd still think that I was just uncoordinated and unfit!

I will look at roadrunnersports.com! Thank you. I also saw that holabirdsports.com had some serious good prices on Rykas, $20 to $30 less than Amazon per pair. I was a little wary about buying from a smaller vendor, though. I've had so many shipping or quality control issues in the past with smaller companies. I haven't heard anything bad about them at all, I just think "If it sounds too good to be true (so much cheaper in price), what's the catch?" But that's probably just absurd paranoia. Amazon can really up the darn prices on shoes in higher sizes. I know materials cost money, so I get that a size 11 will cost more than a size 6 to make. However, a price difference beyond $10 is just ridiculous. Amazon changes their prices from day to day, too, which irks me. I'm on such a tight college girl budget, every pair I buy has to be something I'll use often. Because I'm bigger and have weird feet, I wear out shoes faster. Do you find yourself replacing sneaks a lot? I usually get three months of daily wear out of mine, working out 6 days a week for 60-90 minutes.

I have Asics running shoes, but I stick to my Ryka studio shoes for Cathe workouts. Just my opinionl.

I am very disappointed and frustrated with this forum, as it would not take my old password, and the e-mails I was receiving has very strange ones. Why do you have to make this so difficult?

If you forget your password and request a new one you will receive a password that consists of a mix 8 letters and numbers. After logging in you can then change the password to whatever you want.

Are you hovering over your username near the top on the right and then selecting the password link?

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.