Athletic Training or Afterburn?

If this helps....Athletic Training is listed as being Intermediate and Afterburn is Advanced. I used to be afraid of Afterburn because it gets a little intense at times but now it's better and provides a great challenge. Athletic Training is a bit less intense but still a worthy opponent in the workout room! I love them both...I'm no help at all, sorry.

I don't have the discs...can I modify and still get a good workout? I was looking at this one and flex train.

HI,

If you don't have Cathe Sliding disks, there are a few option you can do:

1. If you are exercising on Carpet:
a. use a sturdy paper plate or
b. I also used cheap Frisbees I found at Target (or somewhere similar)

2. If you are exercising on wood or other similar smooth flooring:
a. use some old (or new) thicker rags

3. If you have Amazon.com Prime you could get these for $12.95: (I have not tried these)
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01E68CSJ...ding+disks&pd_rd_r=VCHBHS0FC0N69KKJKY51&psc=1

4. Sometimes when Cathe uses disks, I am just not in the mood for the drama (!) of them so I modify the best I can and it is still a good workout.

Hope these are helpful suggestions.

I have padded squares for flooring in our basement. Hard to glide on. Or maybe I'm uncoordinated :) tried paper plates and frisbees cracked.

I like, have done and own both:):). Afterburn is more intense. It does challenge wrist endurance more due to constant
plank post position. There are burpees, jacks and mountain climbers to do on discs, on top of walking push up;);)

That said Athletic training is also a great workout with more varied content. It is fun fun and fun to do.
ATB

so glad to see this thread, because I was wanting to know about the Athletic Training upper body premix. I don't use AT or Afterburn very often, but wanted to know if the AT upper premix is a good weight training option, or is it more cardio/wts?
Thanks!
Maggie

Afterburn is really intense but if you're looking for a challenge it definitely will give you one! Haven't done Athletic Training since I have to avoid step workouts due to bad knees (ah... old age is so much fun LOL!)... :)

I like both but tend to gravitate towards Athletic Training. It has worked my thutt like no other with all those step moves. Afterburn is very advanced for me so I only do one specific premix which is 30 minutes. The full workout offers me dread it's that tough. I tend to do Cardio Supersets and AT more as they are just a little less intense but still intense.

I like both but tend to gravitate towards Athletic Training. It has worked my thutt like no other with all those step moves. Afterburn is very advanced for me so I only do one specific premix which is 30 minutes. The full workout offers me dread it's that tough. I tend to do Cardio Supersets and AT more as they are just a little less intense but still intense.

While I don't have AT I feel the same way about Afterburn - horrible dread factor and 30 minutes is all I can manage. I tend to get in the "groove" (yep, I'm old!) when the music is good but the music in Afterburn doesn't do it for me. That said, it still is a really good workout for those who are advanced and low impact to boot. I'm not the best with cardio so I find it tough (I enjoy weight lifting so much more) but if you're in great shape it's not a bad buy! :)

If using gliding discs or frisbees on carpet, spray a little WD-40 directly on the disk and wipe off the excess, or spray some onto a paper towel and wipe the bottom of the disc. The discs will glide with ease! As far as it staining carpet, I have old ivory colored berber carpet and didn't notice any carpet discoloration from the WD-40

Another vote for Afterburn :)
I think the music in Afterburn is better than the other LIS.
I too use the 1x Afterburn premix. (22 min without warm up / stretch). The full workout scares me :) Then I do a 15-minute 1x premix of Cardio Supersets for a great low impact workout with less dread factor.

I own downloads so can't comment regarding the upper body premix on AT.The cardio section from AT is very repetitive, the music is boring which is a no-no for step cardio and i never use it. I like parts of the strength workout but it uses too much equipment for a 30-minute workout. I don't like when my workout space becomes a mess for a 30 minute workout.

]I'm very happy with my frisbees and they are cheap! The only disadvantage is I have to wear snickers as the plastic hurts my feet.
Can the "real" sliding discs be used without shoes?

Last edited:

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.