Bodybuilding/Sculpting check-in;-)

I actually did some impulse buys. Any time I have a foot crisis I start thinking long term--as in, what do I do when I cannot jump anymore and my feet really start limiting me. I bought some more kettlebell workouts! Has anyone done Skogg? I got his program and I also bought another Paul Katami kettlebell workout--Kettlebell Drills. I already have some great kettlebell workouts, but I am looking for some that are all low impact yet still intense--no jumping or choreography. Any suggestions? Skogg looks like he has a lot of challenging KB workouts, but until I give the one I bought a try, I am not buying any more. And, of course, I also pre-ordered KCM's two new workouts.

Jen,

Skogg system is really good, you will love it. It is low impact. I am very happy I purchased it even though I am not doing at the
moment. I know he's doing online class as well. He is one of the best in KB field. Anthony Diluglio is another one to purchase from in
my opinion. Both Michael and Anthony offer pure KB in comparison to Paul Katami and Bob harper where programmed are quite fusion style. AOS has had good reviews on here in the past. Amy Bento has some KB. Her husband is very much into KB but I am not sold!
Her double KB moves left me a bit puzzled after few video viewing.:cool::eek:

If you are looking for a good challenging low impact, think about investing in a good spinning bike in future. I think you would enjoy it.
you like resistance stuff:)

I decided to go old school this afternoon...I reached for two workouts I did before my Cathe obsession began. I did Crunch's Burn & Firm Pilates and some segments from Crunch's Super Slim Down Pilates Yoga Blend. The instructor for both is Ellen Barrett. These are not hard workouts, but I love them. Some cardio and sweat, some great stretching, and lots of fun.

Hi Jodi,

I am not a yoga, pilates and barre lover. Would not mind doing some of it from time to time. In fact I need some
to keep my hip girdle mobile. Never heard of Ellen Barrett. Unfortunately I got to hear about her during a VF discussion. She think women
should not lift heavy. Which I totally disagree with. Apparently she is also into"training as per zodiac sign":eek::oops::oops:
Whatever this training method is based on --- I am not in this and it is just a PUT OFF for me:eek:
The title of the thread is Stay away from Heavy lifting

http://forum.videofitness.com/showthread.php?t=212253
http://www.ellenbarrett.com/stay-away-heavy-weights
http://www.amazon.com/Zodiaction-Fat-Burning-Fitness-Tailored-Personal/dp/B006CDU1V2

Last edited:
Haha! Well, Nathalie, you know I don't agree with staying away from heavy lifting! I don't know much about Ellen Barrett other than her workouts are not that tough. And of course, I find them even less tough now after discovering Cathe. That being said, I do love those two older workouts when I'm looking for a good stretch or something gentler.

To both you and Jen - I don't think barre works the lower body better than traditional lower body workouts. I think it just works it in a different way and both ways are beneficial in anyone's fitness routine. I got a taste of barre work through Cathe and Lindsey Brin, really enjoyed it, and only in the past few months did I decide I wanted to explore barre work more thoroughly. So that's why I've been doing a lot of it lately - it's new to me, I really like most of what I've tried, and I have seen some muscle gains and great definition. It's like when you get a shiny, new toy and you're obsessed with it for awhile until the newness wears off. :D The newness hasn't quite worn off yet for me, but I have been trying to go back to including some more traditional lower body workouts in my routine. Like I said, I think a program can benefit from a good mix of both. Nathalie, the article you posted encouraged a mix of heavy weights and also high rep work to help build muscle so I think a mix of barre and traditional fits in that formula.

Jen, I had already returned another defective DVD from that company and gotten a replacement which was better but still bad. This other DVD didn't seem as bad as that one at first so I didn't bother returning it then. Now, it seems pointless since the purchase was so long ago and their replacements seem no better. Oh, well. Maybe if I ever find them on sale somewhere, I'll try again. They really are tough barre workouts.

Nathalie, you are right about lacking appetite, and the timing of that lack is what's bad for me. I do fine for breakfast and lunch. I work out after work and then it's dinner time. Well, I'm usually so worn out from the workout that I don't feel like eating much, and I know post workout is really when I need to have proper fuel in my body! It's a tough battle.

Oh, let me check in for yesterday! I did PB PR FF: Seat. An awesome and "painful" barre workout. My butt is still on fire! :eek:

Haha! Well, Nathalie, you know I don't agree with staying away from heavy lifting! I don't know much about Ellen Barrett other than her workouts are not that tough. And of course, I find them even less tough now after discovering Cathe. That being said, I do love those two older workouts when I'm looking for a good stretch or something gentler.

:D:D:D No wonder her workout are not up to cathe's standard! I shall try out her training as per zodiac sign LOL
What a ---- Honestly:eek::eek::eek: I do not mind doing barre, pilates and yoga from time to time but I just do not get this
obsession, mainly from pilates, yoga and barre trainers and fitness enthusiasts consisting, to deter women from Heavy lifting .it is just beyond anything my little brain can handle:eek:

Check out another interesting discussion. It is on vf title of the thread is what does "bulking" mean?:eek::eek:

http://forum.videofitness.com/showthread.php?t=212453

Anyway, Glad to hear again you are not against heavy lifting. It is a recipe for a smooth aging IMO.
Both cardio and lifting make feel and look good :):)

This morning was Mobility Rx #2 + Anarchy Free Flow. Doubles was Focus 30: Hips. I was not crazy about Focus 30: Hips. I am still working on the review--it should go up tomorrow. It was a good workout and it did work my hips, but there was a lot of balance work plus the moves are compound and complex, which I didn't like for this type of workout. I chose this for functionality so I need to be able to use control to focus on form--hard to do when she is moving so fast, introducing very complicated combinations with little forecasting--she cues as she is doing it. Mobility Rx actually works your hips better--even tho they are total body mobility workouts, they still hit the hips better than Focus 30 did. I was disappointed and probably won't return to it. But that might appeal to some people and if it does, it actually does work your hips well.

Nathalie--that is what I am looking for in kettlebells so I'm glad I got the Skogg system. I am thinking I may actually do the 12 week rotation. I haven't decided yet. If I do I will combine it with something else. Maybe YAYOG. I think they'd fit together nicely. I really like my other kettlebell workouts, but you're right, many of them are fusion workouts and even tho I like that, sometimes I don't want impact or choreography. I just want an intense kettlebell workout using basic kettlebell moves. These should fit the bill perfectly.

And I probably will get a spin bike one day. I have a recumbent but I don't use it. I'm not getting rid of it tho because one day I may need it! When that day comes, I'll probably invest in a good spin bike, too. Right now tho, I love my other cardio.

Some of Ellen Barrett's ideas seem crazy! I read her idea that women shouldn't lift heavy and that's just ridiculous. I love how the internet makes it possible for people to throw up sites and act like experts. She's spouting opinions like it's scientific fact. It irritates me that some people will read it and think she does know what she is talking about. Though I would hope as soon as they read about working out for their zodiac signs they dismiss her!

BTW! I was actually perusing the VF forum today (I don't contribute/post but I stop by occasionally because they frequently alert me about new workouts) and I discovered something I MUST HAVE! Someone just discovered KCM's Lift and asked for recommendations similar to it because they adored Lift. Well, I love Lift, too--so I definitely read the thread. Someone recommended Weider PINK--a powerlifting program! OMG! I MUST HAVE IT! I know you saw the initial post, Nathalie because I saw you commented on the thread--but did you check back? I think the Weider Pink recommendation was after your post. Well, it is now on my Christmas list. I told my husband it is the #1 thing I want. With Hammer and Chisel #2.

Speaking of heavy lifting :)...today I did Burn Sets Chest, Back and Shoulders. I am really happy with how I've been able to increase my weight with just about every exercise since the last time I did Burn Sets. I feel like such a bad ass when I look in the mirror and see fabulous muscle. Haha!

And now thanks to Nathalie and Jen, I have homework....read the craziness of Ellen Barrett and research PINK (and probably put it on my Christmas list also!).

This morning was EFX #3. My recovery week is almost at an end. I have enjoyed it but am ready to get into Meso 2.

Jodi--that VF forum post must have influenced a lot of people. When I read it, I found Weider Pink on Walmart.com (for $48) and on Amazon (for $75 + $16 S&H I think). Well, when I showed my husband yesterday evening after work so he would know what to buy me for Xmas--SOLD OUT. Both places. It's not a new program either--it was created in 2008 or 2009--so I hope they restock it! The name is silly (PINK), and the barbell they use looks to light, but the program itself, done with a heavier barbell, sounds awesome. 12 twenty minute power lifting workouts! Perfect for doubles. I will watch for it on ebay, too.

Nathalie--I missed where you mentioned Amy Bento's kettlebell workouts. I have two of hers and I don't care for them. Even for a fusion type kettlebell workout (which is what they are) I didn't care for them. But I don't like Amy Bento's cardio workouts. She does complex and IMHO awkward choreography and she brings that to her kettlebell workouts. KB workouts I do like are by Bob Harper, Amy Dixon, Brook Benten, KCM, Sara Luri, Paul Katami and some of Dasha Libin's (mostly Scorcher). They all put out great KB workouts, but they are mostly fusion or have some compound choreography going on. However, Sara Luri, Brook Benten and KCM all have pretty straight forward, easy to follow/uncomplicated but still challenging KB workouts.

Nathalie--I missed where you mentioned Amy Bento's kettlebell workouts. I have two of hers and I don't care for them. Even for a fusion type kettlebell workout (which is what they are) I didn't care for them. But I don't like Amy Bento's cardio workouts. She does complex and IMHO awkward choreography and she brings that to her kettlebell workouts. KB workouts I do like are by Bob Harper, Amy Dixon, Brook Benten, KCM, Sara Luri, Paul Katami and some of Dasha Libin's (mostly Scorcher). They all put out great KB workouts, but they are mostly fusion or have some compound choreography going on. However, Sara Luri, Brook Benten and KCM all have pretty straight forward, easy to follow/uncomplicated but still challenging KB workouts

Hi Jen,

What I meant to quote is Amy Bento uses two dumbbells in some of her kbs, instead of working unilaterally.
Example she does dual squat holding two dumbbells.

I have seen her step choreography, they are way too complicated to match her cueing skills. Teaching complicated
step choreography require skills to break down, layer the moves and pass on instructions to exercisers.
Some instructors are just not gifted!

It is very easy for all these instructor to just add various cool, advanced moves to impress us! Again
It is not about moves IMO,being able to timely cue delivering form and pointers is the most important element.
That being said yes:D:D. I see what you mean by her bringing all those complicated moves into her kettlebell programs.
Lauren Brooks is another name for KBs.

odi--that VF forum post must have influenced a lot of people. When I read it, I found Weider Pink on Walmart.com (for $48) and on Amazon (for $75 + $16 S&H I think). Well, when I showed my husband yesterday evening after work so he would know what to buy me for Xmas--SOLD OUT. Both places. It's not a new program either--it was created in 2008 or 2009--so I hope they restock it! The name is silly (PINK), and the barbell they use looks to light, but the program itself, done with a heavier barbell, sounds awesome. 12 twenty minute power lifting workouts! Perfect for doubles. I will watch for it on ebay, too.

Jen,

Your recovery week look good. It would suit me:):)
P.I.N.K barbell has been discontinued:(:(:( Shame there isn't much choice of power lifting dvds out there!
Yes I have interacted on VF:D:D. There are some interesting healthy discussion there:):)
Jen would you consider Jen sinkler program? It is a power program.

Last edited:
Stuff to share with you;)

lateral raise with my favourite toy is calling me --- This is on my variation try out list;)
It is a no cheat move:p:p. Hope I can get my shoulders rounded and stronger.
All my BB weight start from 7-8kg --- Is it a reasonably challenging load to start from?:p;);)

Last edited:
Greetings all,

Here is my rotation for the week.

Day 1 Piyo Full Body Blast (222)
Day 2 Rest
Day 3 TF Low Hiit 20 (224)
Day 4 Piyo Buns (215)
Day 5 Core
Day 6 Sweat (380)
Day 7 Drench (480)

I was surprised at the calorie burn from Piyo. The first time I did a Piyo rotation, I didn't have a vivofit to track my heart rate. Now I can see how hard I'm working and in some cases I'm modifying. Maybe its my imagination but I feel like I have less inflammation in my body. I love the stretch in my hips and I can definitely feel that I'm really working deep in my muscles. My back discomfort is much better.

I was watching public television and they were discussing stretching and the importance of flexibility. I think the program was titled Classical Stretching. Anyway what I took away from the program is the importance of decompressing the body, due to the compression that exercise can place on the body. For me this was confirmation to add a week or two of Piyo into my rotation on a regular basis.

Jen, I really appreciate your honesty regarding days when you just don't feel like a high impact day. Its always good to know
I'm not the only one. When I read the workouts that are posted I'm in awe at the athleticism and strength that Cathletes possess.
My body honestly doesn't respond well to too much high impact, just don't have the joints for it anymore :((( only in moderation.

Thanks Nathalie for your suggestion to check Cathe's index for rotations. I think I want to do something more bodyweight specific. Not sure if she has anything in that area that I already own.

Well, have a great week-end and I will check in next week.

Thanks Nathalie for your suggestion to check Cathe's index for rotations. I think I want to do something more bodyweight specific. Not sure if she has anything in that area that I already own.

• Afterburn
  • Cardio core circuit
  • Hiit, bleu one ---This is pretty much bodyweight base cardio IMO
  • Travel fit
  • 2 yogas from LIS Series
  • KPC
  • 4DS Kickbox
  • Hardstrike
  • Rockout
You can pretty much opt not to use glove while doing all martial art based cardios. You can add Horizontal conditioning
if you own it and map out a rotation. Let me know if you need suggestions. :)

I was watching public television and they were discussing stretching and the importance of flexibility. I think the program was titled Classical Stretching. Anyway what I took away from the program is the importance of decompressing the body, due to the compression that exercise can place on the body. For me this was confirmation to add a week or two of Piyo into my rotation on a regular basis.

Jen, I really appreciate your honesty regarding days when you just don't feel like a high impact day. Its always good to know
I'm not the only one. When I read the workouts that are posted I'm in awe at the athleticism and strength that Cathletes possess.
My body honestly doesn't respond well to too much high impact, just don't have the joints for it anymore :((( only in moderation.

I agree with you that stretching is important. I personnally need to do more than just before and after stretching from
each workout I do on daily basis. My body respond quickly to that. I just have to plan better and invest time into doing more!
I need it more for decompression rather than for flexibility. I have gained flexibility over time lifting.:)

I too do feel the need to cycle impact even though I do not have issue with my joints. I would not take it for granted though:):eek:

Stuff to share with you;)

lateral raise with my favourite toy is calling me --- This is on my variation try out list;)
It is a no cheat move:p:p. Hope I can get my shoulders rounded and stronger.
All my BB weight start from 7-8kg --- Is it a reasonably challenging load to start from?:p;);)

Looks interesting but I only have Olympic and curl bars. Side laterals are always tough for me due to shoulder issues, but love em for delt development.

Looks interesting but I only have Olympic and curl bars. Side laterals are always tough for me due to shoulder issues, but love em for delt development.

I love lateral raise too --- Yes it definitely for delt especially mid deltoid:)
I would like a bit of definition and strength in my shoulders:p:p

Tom I have 4 barbells:p, no olympic. I have 3 which are about 120-150 cm.
The other one is longer. I will use the shortest straight to do this variation:)
This is going to burn. 10reps 3-4 reps to start with. Wish me good luck and fun:)

Today was a leg day with Nia. I decided, however, to do 17 sets of ohps x4 reps first, I know that sounds strange,but Justinef had that in a program and I was fascinated at the concept and since my last ohp day wasn't stellar I thought I would give it a try! I dropped my weight quite a little but by the time I got to my last rep,IT WAS HEAVY!! I then went to squats and dropped a lot of weight to work on form. I found that the lower on my back the barbell was placed the better my balance was and the deeper I could comfortably go. The last few sets were deeper, easier, and felt more comfortable. Everyones center of gravity might differ, but it felt much better to me the lower I could place it.
Jen, I feel like you on discouraging women from lifting heavy! I come from an era where they thought women didn't have the endurance to play full court basketball! We know how brilliant that theory was!! Muscle is muscle, girl or guy...you want it to grow, you gotta overload it! There are a lot of women and men in nursing homes due to lack of strength and bone density, all improved by resistance training!! Time to vacate the pulpit. Hope everyone has a great weekend!

Today was the treadmill with great music from Brett Eldredge and Sam Hunt. I am still very sore from Burn Sets on Thursday. Thankfully, yesterday was a rest day!

Nathalie, those lateral raises look very challenging. So of course that makes me want to try it. :D I would have to start with light weight to make sure form was on point and then slowly increase.

Jen, I noticed right away when trying to check out PINK that it was not available anywhere. I read the review of it on VF and it certainly sounds interesting.

Healing11, I totally agree about how important stretching is, but like Nathalie, I just don't take the time to include more of it in my workout schedule.

Tom, glad you're enjoying your Nia rotation. How much longer do you have the go with it? Any ideas on what's up next?

Today was the treadmill with great music from Brett Eldredge and Sam Hunt. I am still very sore from Burn Sets on Thursday. Thankfully, yesterday was a rest day!

Nathalie, those lateral raises look very challenging. So of course that makes me want to try it. :D I would have to start with light weight to make sure form was on point and then slowly increase.

Jen, I noticed right away when trying to check out PINK that it was not available anywhere. I read the review of it on VF and it certainly sounds interesting.

Healing11, I totally agree about how important stretching is, but like Nathalie, I just don't take the time to include more of it in my workout schedule.

Tom, glad you're enjoying your Nia rotation. How much longer do you have the go with it? Any ideas on what's up next?
Hi Jodi..next week is my last of simple strength 2. She has others with different rep ranges etc, but I think I am going to do a body part/day and shoot for some hypertrophy. I am going to really fry each part and then try to "feed" it!! Hopefully I can gain some mass. Going to really try to increase my food intake so I can grow. I know most the ladies of these forums don't want to get "big" but I am down about 20+ pounds since the end of my sts rotation April 2013 and I "want it back"!!! It's hard to make strength gains without adequate fuel and I'm going to work on that!!

Tom, I also have to work on adequate fuel so I feel your pain, lol. I would love to be "big", muscle-wise. The woman in the clip Nathalie posted has gorgeous muscles, and I'd love to be that ripped. Of course, my body type (long and lanky) has a big influence, but I know if I could coordinate my eating and workouts better, I could see some great results.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.