X-Train and Weight Gain?

My advice is going to be a bit drastic. DITCH THE SCALE FOR THE NEXT 4-6 WEEKS! If you give up now or get discouraged by daily scale fluctuations, you won't be able to see the end result: sexy, sculpted, hard-earned muscles, and a noticeably more toned and fit YOU. Please *try* to be patient. It's SO worth it :).
Natasha

It is great advice. I like to weigh myself to see what is going on with those "daily fluctuations," but I try not to to put too much stock in the scale. I was frustrated the most with the inch I gained around my waist. And my pants aren't fitting better. But I will give it time.;)

In all honesty Wendy, I do not consider myself "lucky". I am very cautious about what I eat and how much I eat. I do not give myself permission to be "laxed" with my eating habits, thinking that just because I am training hard I won't gain body fat (cuz' trust me, I can gain fat as easily as anyone else :rolleyes:). My approach to ditch the scale is definitely not suited for everyone, but it is the best thing FOR ME. I have no clue as to what my weight is at this moment...I have not weighed myself since summer 2012. I feel fit & healthy, and that's all that matters right now :).

All the best :)

Natasha

I am not trying to say that you don't work for your results by watching what you eat. I am just saying that I have never gained weight and had it result in looser jeans is all. I'm jealous, girl! :)

I have put on a few pounds over the past year, despite regular rigorous exercise and eating super clean. I have been horribly ill this week with the flu :( and so, have eaten very little. Suffice it to say, I have dropped some weight and now I am on a mission to shed the rest of the weight that I don't want. I have followed Dr. Mercola for a while now. I never really could wrap my head around some of his weight management concepts, but since coping with illness this week, I am now further convinced about his philosophies. Here's a brief synopsis of an article that he posted today, along with a link for you to read the entire piece if you wish. I think the idea of consuming your meals within an 8-hr. time frame sounds perfectly reasonable. Have a nice day, all. :)

Story at-a-glance
  • Two new health books reveal how intermittent fasting can help you normalize your weight, prevent many chronic diseases, and increase longevity.
  • The ‘8-hour diet’ is a type of scheduled eating plan where you simply restrict your normal daily eating to an eight hour window of time, without cutting calories. Research has shown that this simple lifestyle tweak can significantly modify body composition, including reduce fat mass.
  • High intensity interval training has been shown to be highly synergistic with intermittent fasting, and both techniques provide many of the same health benefits.
  • Research has shown that intermittent fasting quickly improves insulin’s ability to manage blood sugar, and that fluctuations in food consumption appear to be REQUIRED for optimal metabolic function.

Intermittent Fasting

I have put on a few pounds over the past year, despite regular rigorous exercise and eating super clean. I have been horribly ill this week with the flu :( and so, have eaten very little. Suffice it to say, I have dropped some weight and now I am on a mission to shed the rest of the weight that I don't want. I have followed Dr. Mercola for a while now. I never really could wrap my head around some of his weight management concepts, but since coping with illness this week, I am now further convinced about his philosophies. Here's a brief synopsis of an article that he posted today, along with a link for you to read the entire piece if you wish. I think the idea of consuming your meals within an 8-hr. time frame sounds perfectly reasonable. Have a nice day, all. :)

Story at-a-glance
  • Two new health books reveal how intermittent fasting can help you normalize your weight, prevent many chronic diseases, and increase longevity.
  • The ‘8-hour diet’ is a type of scheduled eating plan where you simply restrict your normal daily eating to an eight hour window of time, without cutting calories. Research has shown that this simple lifestyle tweak can significantly modify body composition, including reduce fat mass.
  • High intensity interval training has been shown to be highly synergistic with intermittent fasting, and both techniques provide many of the same health benefits.
  • Research has shown that intermittent fasting quickly improves insulin’s ability to manage blood sugar, and that fluctuations in food consumption appear to be REQUIRED for optimal metabolic function.

Intermittent Fasting

Very interesting. Thank you for sharing.

Great thread! I've gained weight initially for every major new-to-me program that I've done. It always seems to take longer than it should for results to show (4-8 weeks depending on the program), but when they do start to show it's quick and very dramatic.

STS (3.5 month program) - got bigger for 1st two months, dropped drastically in size at the start of the 3rd month, dropped 12 pounds in a matter of weeks, started to see all my new cuts.

Insanity (2 month program) - no visible change in 1st month, big changes in 2nd month and got down to my smallest size in years.

P90X (3 month program) - got bigger for 1st two weeks then dropped down. Didn't get as dramatic results with P90X as with the other two.

I just did my very first XTrain workout this morning (Chest, Back, Shoulders) and I am psychologically prepared for my clothes to be a bit tighter for a month or so. I have not been really diligent with my workouts since the beginning of December, so getting back to regular heavy lifting and a disciplined workout program is going to be something of a shock to my body. The shakiness in my upper body tells me I am going to have serious DOMS and accompanying puffiness. :)

Stebby

Great thread! I've gained weight initially for every major new-to-me program that I've done. It always seems to take longer than it should for results to show (4-8 weeks depending on the program), but when they do start to show it's quick and very dramatic.

STS (3.5 month program) - got bigger for 1st two months, dropped drastically in size at the start of the 3rd month, dropped 12 pounds in a matter of weeks, started to see all my new cuts.

Insanity (2 month program) - no visible change in 1st month, big changes in 2nd month and got down to my smallest size in years.

P90X (3 month program) - got bigger for 1st two weeks then dropped down. Didn't get as dramatic results with P90X as with the other two.

I just did my very first XTrain workout this morning (Chest, Back, Shoulders) and I am psychologically prepared for my clothes to be a bit tighter for a month or so. I have not been really diligent with my workouts since the beginning of December, so getting back to regular heavy lifting and a disciplined workout program is going to be something of a shock to my body. The shakiness in my upper body tells me I am going to have serious DOMS and accompanying puffiness. :)

Stebby

Great to know, Stebby. Thank you so much for sharing your experiences.

Completed 90 day gained 6 lbs?

I just completed the 90 day xtrain program and gained 6-7 lbs, my jeans fit the same, but not likeing this number at all especially since I count cal and use the lose it app.

Did any of you ladies still see a weight gain after complelting the program?

The first time I tried STS I gained 8# in less then a month! I wanted to cry!!!Everyone said it's just water and it will go away but that's an awful lot of water weight if you ask me so I stopped STS, moved on to a different work out style and was able to lose the extra poundage and fit back into my clothes properly again.

Fast forward several months later, I tried STS for second time but this time I was on Weight Watchers while I did the program and I was successful. I lost weight...very slowly...but I lost instead of gaining so I was happy. I was being VERY careful with my food intake though!

Just thought I'd share a similar experience. :)

Can't comment on XTrain because I haven't started a rotation yet....

Sorry to quote something from so long ago...I'm curious about your experience with WW. I am currently doing it and STS. I have been losing VERY slowly (prior to starting STS). I have used the old Points with great success in the past. With the new Points Plus I am left wondering if I have too many points to use? I do have some medication issues right now though, so I am hoping that with some changes I am starting today that things will be better. I have been discouraged with it, but I believe that if I stick with it it will work. I like the science behind the new plan better, I have just been frustrated with it.

Funny that this post popped up again. I forgot I had written it--proof that things do get better with time. ;) I can't comment on Weight Watchers, but I think some type of nutritional plan is definitely the key to success.

I'm finished up my 90-day rotation. I had a setback with getting the flu after 2 weeks in, so I started over with the rotation. I did add some extra cardio here and there (just because I wanted to run on some nice spring days, or I wanted some variety so I played around with creating combinations).

I got really serious with food tracking and starting logging everything on MyFitnessPal. I had to play around with calories, because I was getting far too few at first. You know the knee-jerk reaction: not seeing results so you work harder and eat less and make things worse.:( I settled at base 1400 calories + my exercise calories. I try to eat very clean, and have been especially vigilant during this rotation. Not every day was perfect, but most were on target.

The results? I'm leaner around the middle and I've upped my weights. I'm not quite where I want to be, but I'm closer--and moving in the right direction. I'm transitioning to Cathe's April rotation this week. I plan to follow her 'Getting Ready for Summer' rotations with the hope that my middle will be flab free in June.

Sorry to quote something from so long ago...I'm curious about your experience with WW. I am currently doing it and STS. I have been losing VERY slowly (prior to starting STS). I have used the old Points with great success in the past. With the new Points Plus I am left wondering if I have too many points to use? I do have some medication issues right now though, so I am hoping that with some changes I am starting today that things will be better. I have been discouraged with it, but I believe that if I stick with it it will work. I like the science behind the new plan better, I have just been frustrated with it.

I never tried the old WW system so I can't comment on it except to say that my sister used it YEARS ago after she had her first 2 babies and lost a good amount of weight on it.

I found the plan I did to be very doable. Much more so then tracking macros and calories. I tried not to eat back my activity points and I tried not to use my other extra points (I forget what they are called-it's been a while) either...well, not during the week anyway! I was super strict all week long and then I was able to "relax" on the weekends, enjoy myself and still lose the weight. It worked for me. :)

I would like to add that after I completed STS, I moved on to more interval and circuit style training and the weight started coming off much easier. Just something to consider though everyone is different.

Yes, unfortunately meds can do nasty things to one's body. I hope you can get that worked out.

If you have any specific questions related to WW, let me know. I'll help as much as I can!:)

I just completed the 90 day xtrain program and gained 6-7 lbs, my jeans fit the same, but not likeing this number at all especially since I count cal and use the lose it app.

Did any of you ladies still see a weight gain after complelting the program?

I've seen countless before and after photos of women who have gained scale weight, but lost body fat on Jamie Eason's Live Fit FB page. DITCH the scale, use a tape measure or a favorite pair of jeans, and a camera. Take photos of yourself every 30 days and remember, slow and steady wins the race.;)

This article was posted by VF member.
Why Weight Loss is Not The King of Achievements
Why Weight Loss is Not the King of Achievements | Fitocracy Knowledge Center

musclegain2_zps454a0661.jpg

musclegain_zps7c54fd26.jpg

Hi, I'm in the 7 week of Xtrain and I did my measure today and sorprise for me, my weigth was 145 now 148 pounds but my inches when down.I'm 5.6' tall, 4 kids,39 years old, and I my period every 2 weeks.
I do like this:3 inches up from my belly botton was:30 1/2 inches now is 30', my belly botton was:33' 1/2 now 32', 3 inches bellow my belly botton was:35' 1/4 now 34', arms was:12' 1/2 now 11' 1/2, my legs and my butt still the same I dont know if is because for my back problem I try to do my cardio and legs exercices no to hard.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.