Favorite scary movies

lrusso

Cathlete
I love watching scary movies this time of year! I like some of the older ones. Such as, the original Halloween movie, original Friday the 13th, also Psycho or just about anything Hitchcock. Which scary movies are you favorites?? :eek:

Last edited:
I like scary movies too. One movie that sticks in my mind is Shutter. The last scene gets me every time. Also, I can't watch any Nightmare on Elm Street movies because I am afraid I will get stuck in the dream/reality phase. I know it sounds stupid, but it is true. Also, The Candyman movie scares me. When I wake up in the middle of the night, I am afraid to look in the mirror by the remote chance I will say candyman three times in the mirror. Totally stupid to feel this way as a 42 year old.

I like scary movies too. One movie that sticks in my mind is Shutter. The last scene gets me every time. Also, I can't watch any Nightmare on Elm Street movies because I am afraid I will get stuck in the dream/reality phase. I know it sounds stupid, but it is true. Also, The Candyman movie scares me. When I wake up in the middle of the night, I am afraid to look in the mirror by the remote chance I will say candyman three times in the mirror. Totally stupid to feel this way as a 42 year old.

I am exactly the same way, except I don't like scary movies. Every one I have ever watched sticks with me for years, and some irrational part of my brain believes it is all true and can really happen. The Ring was the last one I ever watched, and if I recall, we need to duplicate the VHS tape or something :rolleyes:

I can't do scary movies. They totally freak me out and then I have nightmares or just can't sleep for days! :eek:

What's sad is my 8yo nephew loves scary movies and watches them all the time with his dad. His favorite movie is the original Texas Chainsaw Massacre! :confused: He just can't believe that I don't watch them. He always tells me "their not real" Aunt Julie!

Yesterday we watched 28 days later, which was good, and started the Cube, I feel asleep. Usually in October that's all the type of movies I'll watch but this year life is happening and I completely forgot.

Chosing a favorite is tough but if I had to, I would say, The Shining. I can watch that movie over and over and I love it everytime. Other favorites would be the Rob Zombie movies, Devils Regets and House of 1000 Corpses. Also, his remake of Halloween was really good. You really connected to the characters in Halloween and I think he's doing a sequel too.

I seen one that I thought was going to be bad but turned out really good was, Drag Me to Hell. The good vs evil movies are what I usually gravitate to were the really grosome ones turn me off. I have a hard time watching the Saw movies, when I seen the one when a lady feel into a pit of needles I almost passed out! That was the last Saw I seen. I can put up with some stuff but that was too much for me, I let my mind get the best of me, you could hear all the glass in the needles breaking and the I swear I could hear the needles piercing her skin too.

Studies have shown that horror/thriller movies have the same health benifits as comedies do.

I am not a scarey movie fan either. The older stuff I can do on occassion ie: original Jason, Nightmare on Elm Street but for the most part I steer clear of all of them. I actually watched most of the first two SAW movies last year around this time when I was home sick with a bad sinus infection. I don't have any idea what had gotten into me but they were on tv and I decided to and was able to sit through them. That was the first time in years and probably the last for years to come. Scarey movies are getting more sick, more twisted, more disturbing and more gruesome as each movie is created. It turns my stomach and really bothers me....*shudder*

Even some gorey cop vs bad guy movies freak me out. My DH was watching a movie once and I sat down for 5 mins. I had an idea of what was about to happen and left before it did. Even so, that night in bed, all I did for 15 minutes was play scenes in my mind of what I thought took place after I walked out of the room...

Remember "Passion of the Christ"? Not even a "scarey" movie right? Well I went to see that in the theaters with a bunch of people. I had to walk out. I sat outside alone for 45 minutes waiting for that movie to end. I was completely sick to my stomach and can not believe I sat through as much of it as I did.

Last edited:
I don't like scary movies either. I watched a few as a kid but stay away from them now. The one that scared me the most in those days was The Watcher in the Woods. It's old, it's cheesy (it's Disney), but it stars Bette Davis.

Oh I totally agree about the Shining! I'm pretty sure god created Jack Nicholson just to play that role. :D

And Alien. The scene when the monster comes out of that guys stomach still scares the daylights outta me! Great special effects considering when it was made.

My most recent favorite is Quarantine. OMG that movie had me on the edge of my seat! It was pretty realistic & seriously had me crapping my pants. :eek:

Other favorites would be the Rob Zombie movies, Devils Regets and House of 1000 Corpses. Also, his remake of Halloween was really good. You really connected to the characters in Halloween and I think he's doing a sequel too.

I seen one that I thought was going to be bad but turned out really good was, Drag Me to Hell.

I was gonna say the exact same movies!!! I think Zombie did an amazing job with the Halloween remake; you really got to see how messed up Michael was. Unfortunately the sequel was pretty crappy :( I do love House of 1000 Corpses and Devil's Rejects as well.

Drag Me to Hell is also a great movie! Have you seen any of Raimi's other horror movies? He did all of the Evil Dead movies and Army of Darkness (which is the 3rd movie in the Evil Dead series). He style is very tongue-in-cheek; his movies throw in a lot of humor with horror. They are great!

I also love the original Psycho. I could watch that all the time. And Texas Chainsaw Massacre (the original) but it ALWAYS gives me nightmares. We went to a haunted house last weekend and at 1 part a guy chases you through the woods w/ a chainsaw; even though you know it's fake, it is so terrifying seeing that come at you. Even my boyfriend ran away screaming!

28 Weeks Later was terrifying for me. I had nightmares for a month straight.

I love horror movies so much. Especially the old ones. Halloween is my favorite holiday! :D

I like scary movies too. One movie that sticks in my mind is Shutter. The last scene gets me every time..

I love this movie! Yep, that last scene stays with you doesn't it?

I am totally hooked on scary movies. I watch SyFy all the time. I even like the hokey scary ones like "Sharktopus" and "Dinoshark". :p

I watch SyFy all the time. I even like the hokey scary ones like "Sharktopus" and "Dinoshark". :p

LMAO!!!! Did you ever see the one with the Shark vs the Giant Octopus (or squid, I don't remember) and the shark flies up to attack the plane?! I laughed so hard I almost wet myself.

Drag Me to Hell is also a great movie! Have you seen any of Raimi's other horror movies? He did all of the Evil Dead movies and Army of Darkness (which is the 3rd movie in the Evil Dead series). He style is very tongue-in-cheek; his movies throw in a lot of humor with horror. They are great!

No I haven't seen any Evil Dead movies, I will get them and watch them, thanks. I always loved Freedy's humor in the Elm Streets and when I heard he was more serious in the new ones it kinda made me not want to see the new one.

LMAO!!!! Did you ever see the one with the Shark vs the Giant Octopus (or squid, I don't remember) and the shark flies up to attack the plane?! I laughed so hard I almost wet myself.

YES! One of my most favorite scenes ever!! Hee hee! It was so silly and stupid that it was classic. :p

I love this thread! You are giving me some great ideas of movies that I need to see! My favorites are the original Halloween, Nightmare on Elm Street, The Shining, American Werewolf in London. Dawn of the Dead/Shaun of the Dead are both fun too! I agree on the scary vs gory - I'm not into the slasher movies. One of the favorites I've seen at the theater lately although not scary by any means was Zombieland. It was so funny!

Pam

Oh, I just thought of another favorite, I would say this is in my top 5, Americain Psycho! Everytime I hear Huey Lewis and the News I think of that movie. Christian Bale is the best eye candy in this movie.

Oh, I just thought of another favorite, I would say this is in my top 5, Americain Psycho! Everytime I hear Huey Lewis and the News I think of that movie. Christian Bale is the best eye candy in this movie.

Now this movie I liked a lot, but is this considered a scary movie? I did like the Alien movies too, but those were scary in a different way for me.

Oh and I can't stand that style of filming where dead people (mostly kids, don't know why), move all fast and choppy, that creeps me out more than anything, and they show it in the ads for the movies on TV! I can't even watch the ads.

I love horror movies. I'm Friday the 13th right now, it's funny because I never get tired of Halloween or Friday the 13th, can watch them over and over again.

AMC has a series starting Halloween night called Walking Dead, can't wait to see that one. Love Texas Chainsaw Massacre, Aliens (I never get tired of that one either), the SAW movies.

They are making Scream 4 I see, love it :)

My favorite horror movies are the really old ones! The black & white classic horror films! Then, there's all the vampire movies, the Dracula remake with, yes, I know, Keanu Reeves. Friday the 13th, Nightmare on Elm Street, The Ring, The Grudge. Oh, my! The list just goes on!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.

Back