One year ago today....

KeliJean

Cathlete
I had brain surgery.

As I lay in the critical care unit of Johns Hopkins hospital, I wondered what the future would bring.

I started exercising 12 years ago, when I lost 50 pounds. Last year, I began to have problems with balance, vision, and hearing. My right leg became weak. I was diagnosed with a rare brain condition, and was admitted to the hospital for surgery.

After the surgery, I could barely walk. With the help of my physical therapist, I graduated from holding onto walls, to a cane and crutches. Some days I crawled around the house. Sometimes I just lay on the floor and cried. The doctors hinted I should apply for disability. Months went by, and I became weaker. I lost muscle and gained weight. I started to feel depressed, as my once active life was gone.

Then on the internet, I found a group of video exercisers, and they were talking about Cathe. So I started lurking here in September 2002. I was so inspired by all of the posts, that I dreamed of getting better, and I was filled with determination to succeed.

Maybe I could lift weights? I could not do cardio then, but I started with Power Hour and never looked back. At first, I could barely do the warmups (with no weights). Following Cathe's excellent instruction, I concentrated on my form and balance. Soon I became stronger, and with each workout I progressed a little more. Weight training with Cathe changed my health, and gave me back my life. After 5 months, I started back to work part-time, and then slowly worked into full-time.

I'm 40 years old, and now I exercise for my health. I've learned to listen to my body each day, and decide what is best. Nutrition, exercise, and rest are the key to good health for me.

I am still struggling with many things, but Cathe said it's all about how you choose to react to stress.

I remember a few weeks after surgery last year, I asked my husband to bring me to the cemetary for Memorial Day, and I fell down on my grandmother's grave.

But now, if the world starts to spin, I can smile.

Because now I'm strong, and I won't fall again.

http://www.picturetrail.com/gallery/view?p=999&gid=2113637&uid=1121031&members=1

Hi KeliJean,

What a wonderful story of courage and overcoming adversity, WOW!

I'm speechless at this moment, I guess because it seems we're always wanting to work out to become leaner, or lose weight, or our thighs jiggle too much, and we forget that for some people there is a bigger purpose for working out. What a hero you are, and you should be so very proud of how far you've come!
Thank you for sharing your very personal story with us. And you look terrific, I saw those poses! :)

Donna

Fitness~ It's a journey, not a race!

Kelijean,
Yours is an amazing story! Your strength and determination left me awestruck - and you did it one step at a time.

You are a true inspiration and role model! Thank you for sharing your story and pictures - you looked great!

Thank you KeliJean for sharing your success with us. You have come a long long way in a very short time! Your pictures show the results of your painful journey. I think that a positive outlook or as Cathe says 'its all how your handle stress' as you mentioned, helps the body to heal.
And you have had amazing results with that kind of attitude. As Joy mentioned in the above thread....you are an inspiration to all of us.

That is totally awesome-thank you for your story!!
You are a total hero!! That is totally great.
Keep up the great work!

Thank you for sharing your story with us. You truly seem like a very strong person both mentally as well as physically. You look GREAT and I wish you continued success in all you strive for....:) Susan

KeliJean,

I have tears in my eyes just reading your post for the first time! I am so happy for you. I know Cathe is the best kept secret, but I'm glad you found her!!

Connie

KeliJean,
I too just read your post and teared up. What an inspiration. Keep up the great work! I am so happy for you.
God Bless!
Angela:7

Thank you SO much, KeliJean, for sharing with us all!! Like Donna said so eloquently, most of us on Cathe's forums dream of losing that last 10 lbs or having a six-pack of abs, but you've reminded us of what true adversity is and what real courage and determination can accomplish. We are so privileged to have you join us here!

You know, folks, I surely hope our Cathe sees KeliJean's miraculous story -- what an incredible thing to know that THIS is the impact your life's mission is having! To touch one person in the way Cathe touched KeliJean -- well, that is indeed something to aspire to!

http://www.clicksmilie.de/sammlung/sport/sport003.gif Kathy S.

Wow....you are a walking miracle.SOmetimes I wonder what on earth would I do if I ever had something seriously wrong with me? I hope that if anything ever happened, I would find the strength inside myself and the determination to overcome the biggest obstacles and obviously .,..you did.
And with that I might add that you certainly to do NOT look 40.You look like you are in your 20's.
COngrats on a job well done..
Thanks for sharing,
Lori

Hi KeliJean! Wow, what an inspiring story. May I have a tissue please? You have certainly endured a lot. To know that I helped motivate you to conquer and achieve all that you did(and are doing) is a huge honor, thank you! But ultimately, it is YOUR willpower and determination that got you to where you are now. Your sound and sensible focus and relentless passion will continue to fuel your progress. I'm so proud of you and am happy to be in your company as you reach newer stages of development. Keep up the wonderful work. Take Care!

Wow KeliJean! This is truly a success story! I am amazed at your progress in 5 months. I'm so happy you found this place and that your "dream" of getting better was fullfilled. Keep up the great/hard work. It only gets BETTER! Thanks for sharing the wonderful pix too! HAPPY ONE YEAR ANNIVERSARY!
Your-Friend-In-Fitness, DebbieH http://www.smilies-world.de/Smilies/Smilies_klein_1/wavey.gif If You Get The Choice To Sit It Out Or Dance...I Hope You DANCE!!!

Thanks SO much for sharing your story with us. You look fabulous and have made such great strides! Cathe is right -- it's your determination and endurance that has gotten you to where you are right now.

I especially love that you didn't take the doctors' doubts to heart. I've been experiencing some problems in my body the past several months and have a doubting doctor too. I keep telling him that I want to see how my body can heal itself with my own hard work (it's nothing life threatening or that will grow any more serious with my efforts alone). Just last week, he said, "Well, sometimes there are miracles." I think it's just wonderful that you kept your hopes alive and day by day worked at what became your miraculous recovery.

Thank you all SO MUCH for your support and kind words! I'm humbled and feel so honored to be a part of this forum.

Cathe, THANK YOU so much for helping me and others reach for their dreams! You are an inspiration and a great leader.

"A leader takes people where they want to go. A great leader takes people where they don’t necessarily want to go, but ought to be."
- Rosalynn Carter

What a fabulous story!!! You go girl!! I'm so glad you're getting stronger, and that you found this forum!! Sounds like it just may have saved your life. You have inspired me today, and I thank you for it!!

Carol
:)

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.