Why is it so hard for me to lose?

jennifercareer

I guess I just need some suggestions/encouragement. I delivered my daughter, Emma, on Jan 6 2009, via emergency c-section due to many complications. I kind of let myself go during my pregnancy and didn't excercise much and didn't eat healthy. I gained 55 lbs. Ilost 20 lbs the first week after delivery and since then, I've only lost another 15 lbs. I didn't start excersising again or eating well until mid to late February. So that averages out to 3 lbs a month over the last 5 months. I don't understand why I can't lose more quickly. Last month I actually only lost 2 lbs. I do Cathe's workouts, 3-5 days a week for at least 50 - 70 min. I want to get in 5 days every week but I work full time and also go to school part time so some days I just want to be with my baby and I choose to not work out because I usually have homework to do. I count my calories and I'm only eating approx 1300 on a good day 1600 on a bad day. But I eat clean. No sugar or processed foods. I'm only 29 so I wouldn't think that my metabolism has slowed down that much. I equally do weight lifting and cardio. I rarely do the same workout within 30 days of each other so I'm contantly challenging myself. At this rate, I still won't be pre-preggy size by her 1st b-day. I'm tired of buying new clothese for work and just want to fit into my old stuff. I feel that I'm dedicated to eating healthy and excercising as much that will fit into my already busy schedule. I try by best but it just doesn't seem to be good enough. I went 3 weeks without losing a single lb a while ago. What am I doing wrong?? Why does EVERYBODY else I know, just diet (they don't even excercise) and drop like 20 lbs in 4 months. I'm so frustrated. What else can I do? Am I eating too much? Too little? Should I work out 6 days a week? I'm getting very discouraged and my husband has pretty much shut me out when try to talk about it. He says he can't stand me complaining so much about it and I just need to give it time. He doesn't understand how hard this is for me to deal with.

I would definitely cut yourself some slack sweetie! You are working full time, going to school part time and being a mommy full time AND managing to work out 3-5 days a week for 50-70 minutes and lost 35 lbs already! That is awesome in itself! It sounds as if you are doing everything that you can be doing and are on track but remember, it took 9 months to get to the weight you were at during pregnancy, it might take 9 months to get back. Your body did some incredible things while growing your little one in there! Try not to compare yourself to everyone else because every woman's body is different. I'm by no means an expert but maybe try upping your caloric intake on the days that you are working out for 50-70 minutes. Sometimes your body can hang out to stores of fat if you are not giving it enough calories which in turn can cause you not to lose weight. Good luck and remember you can always vent with us, we understand.

Are you nursing? I only ask because I don't think that is enough caloric intake for a nursing mom.

It took me 9 months to get back to my prepregnancy weight, after gaining approx. 45 pounds with my DD. Every woman's body is different, and we all take varying amounts of time to "bounce back." I know from my Weight Watchers days pre-pregnancy, that I am a slow loser. I lost an average of 2 pounds per month while doing WW, with eating well and exercising. Maybe 2 to 3 pounds a month is just how your body loses also. Although it's frustrating, it's true that "slow and steady" is effective.

Pregnancy is really hard on the body, as you know all too well. Like Jen said, you're being so hard on yourself. You're working, going to school, and now a mom. That schedule would be my excuse to not exercise at ALL! I think you're doing great!

Stop focusing on it, as hard as that may be to do. I was in the same boat you were. I just finally gave up because it was getting me nowhere. Guess what happened? I finally lost the weight! I focused on work and my kids and didn't work out as much and it almost melted off. I couldn't work out as much because I didn't have the time and forcing myself to do it 6 days a week when I was tired just made me more miserable. I cut down to 3 to 4 days and I was happier and I think that helped. I am now back to working out 5 to 6 days per week but life is allowing that right now. When I go back to work in the fall if I can't swing that many times per week then it won't happen and I have accepted that. I think some days now that I am accepting that my body doesn't look like Cathe's I can start to see the good things and not the bad things about it. Hope this helps.

It has taken me forever to lose my baby weight too. I had my baby in October and just now have seen the scales start to move. I am doing CLX. The trick that finally helped me was lifting HEAVY three days a week and doing cardio three days a week. I have started eating very clean, AND, I have upped my protein intake. I eat a protein at every meal/snack and I have started drinking a recovery protein shake (whey protein mixed with skim milk) after heavy lifting. I lost about 10 pounds this past month doing this. This week, I've mysteriously gained a pound and a half back, but I think it's due to heavier lifting this week (I'm in a new phase of CLX). If you have Cathe's slow/heavy, I'd do those mixed with cardio and try upping the protein.

You're not alone!! We'll get there!! ;)

Thanks everyone. Maybe you're all right. Maybe I am too hard on myself. And maybe I shouldn't worry about it so much. (By the way, I'm not nursing. I had complications after birth and was in the hospital for 7 days. I didn't even see my baby until the 3rd day, except for 5 min........I tried for nearly 2 months but it never panned out).

I always tell myself to quit thinking about it but it's so hard when I wear the same thing everyday because I don't want to spend $$ on a new wardrobe and nothing in my closet fits me. I'm actually jealous of my own closet!! I look at it everday and say "oh, i wish that beautiful sweater fit me" and then I try it on it looks like a mid-drift on me. I just want to cry.

I'm going to try my hardest to cut myself some slack. I was overweight as a child and was picked on all throught my elementary and high school days. I honestly feel that's why I have such issues with my weight. I lost the weight and over time developed healthy eating habits and began my exercising. I want my daughter to never have to go through what I went through. Obviously I'm an adult now and no one pick on me but I still can't seem to get past this weight issue.

It's also hard for me because my sister in law was always overweight. Well, she had a baby 4 months before me and 3 months after she had her baby, she was was thinner then ever before!! I feel so frumpy when I'm around her now. I know I really need to come to terms with this. I pride myself on eating healthy and I do feel great knowing that I'll be setting a great example for my daughter.

I'm just going to continue eating clean and exercise as my schedule allows (3-5 days a week). I think I will try lifting heavier more often too. Without muscle, I feel like my metabolism will never pick up speed.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.