Well, I guess today is as good a day as any

bridge

Cathlete
To announce my pregnancy as well. I am approx. six and half weeks along. I have known for a month, but have told no one except a very good friend, my sister and my hubby. My girls are going to faint with excitment when I tell them, but I want to figure out a really cool way to do it. They are 8 and almost 6 and my 8 year old will be beyond happy and likely raise this as her own..kidding. :)
After I went off the pill in February I skipped a period in March and assumed I would be pregant as it was that fast for my first two..wrong. Anyway, I went to the doctor to beg for tests to see if I was 'shutting down' (yes, I was being a freak) and he said I won't laugh too hard at you when some parts of these lab tests come back positive. He was right.
I am really worried at this point because I cannot wear any of my normal clothes..ALREADY! I bought bigger jeans and for nice clothes have to wear maternity. I have already gained 12 pounds (had my first ob appt. this past Monday) and quite frankly am extremely embarassed by this. My stomach is sticking out like I am 4 months along. I just started back run/walking this past week as finally I feel like getting off the couch, but up till the beginning of April was running at least 20 miles a week. Is this because of a third pregnancy? Can anyone relate? This weight gain is really freaking me out! I gained 55 with my other two but lost it quite easily and worked out almost everyday thru the whole thing. Maybe its my age..34? Man, if I gain 80 pounds or something I am going to lock myself in a dark room and have the baby there. I drink soooo much water,I'm always thirsty so I don't think I am retaining water.
Anyway, sorry this is so long, any advice or anyone that can relate to my scary weight gain I would love to hear from. Thanks!

Hi bridge.
Congratulations on your pregnancy. That's very exciting.
We are in very similar situations. I'm 33 and 16 weeks pregnant with my 3rd. I have two daughters, 8 and 6. My older daughter, also is the mothering kind and feels this is her baby. My younger daughter in just thrilled to be an older sister and not the baby anymore!
This pregnancy has been very different for me, too. I had morning sickness during the first trimester, which I never had with my other two. I never threw up (which would have been better), but felt I had to have something in my stomach at all times instead. And of course, it wasn't healthy food that felt good in my stomach. It was macaroni and cheese, grilled cheeses, bagels and yogurt . Needless to say, I gained more in the 1st trimester than I should have, or did in my other 2 pregnancies. But , I found that keeping up my exercise rotations (with some modifications) really helped! And I was also sooo thirsty. I thought I was going to float away !! I like to tell myself that the weight gain was almost all water weight and will easily go away??!!
Now at 16 weeks, I feel great! The energy is back to normal and my stomach feels great (I can eat fruit , veggies and chicken again, thank God!), so the weight gain has definately slowed down. But I am in maternity clothes much sooner now than I was before. I also ask myself "Is it because I'm older?". Who knows??
Don't worry about the weight gain. I think things will even out. And anyways, with Cathe workouts, it can't stay on for too long after the baby comes (I like to tell myself that one, too-POSITIVE THINKING!)
Take care, bridge, and keep us informed. I will certainly follow your posts since we have so much in common.
Becky

Oops. I get ahead of myself. My younger daughter also is 5 almost 6. It's the pregnancy forgetful hormones!!
Becky

Congratulations! We are going to have our babes pretty close together. Keep working out and don't worry about your weight too much. (Although I am alreday quite worried about mine...!)

Congratulations! We are going to have our babes pretty close together. Keep working out and don't worry about your weight too much. (Although I am alreday quite worried about mine...!)

Hi Becky, yes, we do have a lot in common! How did you tell your daughters? That is going to be the biggest thrill ever! I'll have to make sure I tape their reaction. Thanks for the re-assurance on this weight gain, man, I hope it is temporary and it all slows down. I too, need to keep something close by to eat or I'd be kissing the toilet seat. Are you hoping for a boy? I am hoping for another girl...my poor husband! We have a male dog that is basically a child to us, so he can make do with that!

Jeffsmom, we should be due around the same time! December sometime (not soon enough!) My ob is very lax about everything so no such luck as to getting an early ultrasound to find out an accurate due date. I have no clue when conception took place as my system was out of whack. My ultrasound is June 20, so I guess I have to wait. Thank goodness you kept your baby stuff is right! What a pain in the purse it would have been to replace all that.

Congratulations :)

I am also one who seems to gain weight immediately after I get a positive pregnancy test... in my first pregnancy, I actually had someone ask me if I was pregnant when I was 6 or 7 weeks along (I was wearing a baggy shirt, but STILL!), so I can relate!! I think I gained 9 in my first trimester the first time and 7 or 8 the 2nd time... but both times I managed to gain weight right before I got pregnant, so the numbers have looked somewhat scary the entire time.

Try not to worry too much about the weight... if you are moving your body and eating fairly healthfully, then you'll be okay. I gained 43 lbs. w/ #1, and also took it off pretty quickly (4 mos.). Because I'd been exercising, I was able to get back into the swing of it all very soon after I delivered, and I think I had a lot more energy than the average postpartum woman as well.

Anyway, I think that some of us are just destined to look like 3rd world fertility symbols when we are pregnant, and I figure that mother nature just knows what to do :)

Enjoy -- your kids will be so excited! (my sister is 36 and having her 3rd in October... and her kids are older as well... they are so thrilled :)
Susan

Congratulations!

I'm almost 3 months along with our first.

My flat stomach disappeared literally overnight with this pregnancy although I haven't gained weight elsewhere - go figure! Oh, my boobs are also bigger so some of my shirts (slim fit) don't fit anymore. I am loving being pg.

Best of luck telling your girls! I also told this forum before even telling some close family members so can totally relate!

Your friend in fitness, Fitnik

Hi bridge.
I hope you are feeling better today! Hopefully it won't be lasting too much longer.
When my husband and I told our girls , we said "Guess what? You guys are going to be big sisters!". My 8 year old got it right away and started clapping her hands. My 5 year old said, "But how can I be a big sister. I'm the little sister.". We then explained that we were having a baby. My 5 year olds eyes got really big and she said, "I don't have to be the baby anymore? I get to be a big sister? YEAH!!!". So we got very good reactions until my 8 year old asked when the baby will be coming. We told her that it was kind of funny, but my due date is October 14 - my 8 year old's birthday! We then had to reassure her that no matter when the baby came, she would still be able to have a birthday party. She was very concerned about that!!! But they are so excited to help and really be a part of this. I'm sure your daughters will be the same way. A living baby doll of their own!
I have to tell you, I'm kind of hoping for another daughter, too. I don't know to be a boy mom!! I guess I'd learn fast. My husband is convinced that it is his destiny to be surrounded by girls (even our 3 cats are girls!). I don't have any gut feelings about the sex, so we'll just wait and see. Ultimately, of course, I just want a healthy baby like everyone else.
Let us know what your girls say when you tell them. And take it easy. Oh, I wanted to tell you, herbal honey and ginger tea really helped to settle my stomach when nothing else did. Give it a try.
Take care.
Becky

Hi Bridge!

Jut wanted to jump in and say CONGRATULATIONS!!! How exciting. I am not pregnant(my babies are 23 & 29 ;-)) but just wanted to say how happy I am for you. Keep us posted on your daughters reactions. I'm sure they'll be elated.

Your-Friend-In-Fitness, DebbieH http://www.plaudersmilies.de/wavey.gif If You Get The Choice To Sit It Out Or Dance...I Hope You DANCE!!!

Congratulations! I am also in a similar situation. I am 36 and pregnant with my third. My daughter is 8 and my son is 6. I gained 10 pounds immediately, and have since gained another 5. Right now I am 21 weeks and I look huge. My husband can't wait to see how big I get. I couldn't fit in my clothes after 8 weeks. The doctor told me since it's my third, my body knows what to do and everything loosens and stretches out faster. I just hope my feet don't get any bigger. We waited until I was 12 weeks to tell the kids. We showed the ultrasound them and asked our son what he thought it was. He said "It looks like a pig". We finally told them and they just couldn't believe it, they were very excited. We let them spread the word to the rest of the family. Now my son enjoys telling me how fat I am getting and my daughter loves kissing my belly. Don't be worried about your weight, just enjoy your pregancy and good luck to you! Take Care!

Liz

I think it is important to remember that each of us is different, and our bodies will respond differently from one another's. Just keep asking yourself, "Am I giving this baby the healthy foods s/he needs?" "Am I moving my muscles?" "Am I allowing myself to enjoy this special time?" We need to allow ourselves to be different, and healthy. There's a miracle happening right inside us!! WOW! Keeping all of you in my thoughts and prayers:)
tracey

Thanks everyone with your words or encouragement. I can't tell you how frustrating it is to talk to some women who gain 25 pounds throughout their pregnancies and don't move except to get around for everyday living...it ain't fair! I'm over it though, and so glad some of you can relate and had this happen to you, it makes me feel so much better to know I'm not the only one. I can't second guess every portion I eat, If I'm meant to gain a huge amount of weight and I am still working out and feeling great..so be it! I will just have to deal with the weight loss after its all over. This will likely be it for me, so I had better enjoy it!

It is so cool to also see the number of us that have 'older' kids and are having another one. I'm not sure what eveyone's thoughts on this are, but I think we are going to spoil this kid rotten, haha, a little play thing for us all to love. My friend's sister is 8 years younger than her and her brother and she said that baby was just so precious to the family, all four of them would line up to play, hold, cuddle the baby. I can so see that happening with us! Can't wait!

Thanks again for everyone's ideas and support on this massive weight gain I am so fortunate to experience! :)

I am 38 years old and also pregnant with #3. I have an 8 year old son and a 5 1/2 year old daughter. I am about 9 1/2 weeks along and I, too, already have a quite a belly sticking out! I gained about 25 pounds with each of the other two pregnancies. I seem to be popping out a lot more and a lot faster this time, though! Must be because it's number 3. My OB nurse told me that it was probably mostly bloating and that you'll notice being a lot bigger at night than in the morning. This does seem to be somewhat true.

Jane, YES, that is exactly like me! At night I will often say to my husband, its twins baby! Honestly I was around this size when I was 4 months with my first. I kinda thought the ole stomach muscles may have firmed up a bit, with working out and being the amount of time since my last pregnancy. Maybe its age..!!!:) When is you due date? I have no clue on mine, I was 'diagnosed' as being 6 weeks along two weeks ago from an internal only. My ultrasound isn't until June 20, 2002. We will both be having Christmas babies by the looks of it. Congratulations! Are you kids excited too? We are telling our girlies this weekend on a holiday and I can't wait!!

Hey Bridge! Congratulations! 34 is too young to think it's your age. I'm 31 and pregnant with my first and these ladies really helped me through my first trimester of the slugs! I step on my scale at the doctor's office backwards and tell them just to let me know if I'm gaining too much or too little. I am due in 9/02 and am "bigger" in the gut than many people due a month or more before me...go figure. My doctor said to tell people I'm having a healthy pregnancy - which is only somewhat comforting to me.

Enjoy this time and just remember we're here when you need us!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.