stomach bigger on one side.......

L

Liza

Hi all, went to the doctor yesterday and have been upset since,
my question is - first off she didn't hear the heartbeat and I am 10-11 weeks, and then when I am lying down I seem to be bigger on the one side. The doctor asked if I had a hernia and I don't think I do - but I never had one, now I am to go for a sono on Friday. I am nervous about this, what if something is wrong? Has this happened to anyone else????

Earlier in my pregnancy, when I was lying in the bathtub, the left side looked bigger ("taller") than the right side. It has evened out now (22 weeks). (Actually, sometimes the kid is at one side, sometimes the other side, sometimes in the middle, sometimes high, sometimes low.) Also, I didn't hear the heartbeat until 14 weeks. My doctor told me that even at 14 weeks, it can still be very hard to find, and it took her quite a long time to find it. Try not to worry; your appointment is tomorrow and you'll have all your questions answered then. I hope everything is OK.

My doctor never remarked on this, but both my husband and I noticed that early on in this pregnancy my belly seemed to sort of "list" to the right. At 20 weeks, I don't notice this any more, although now that I can feel the baby moving, it does seem that he spends a lot of time over on that side.

My OB nurse also had a difficult time finding the heartbeat at 10 weeks (apparently, she was having trouble distinguishing the baby's heartbeat from the sound the placenta makes -- I hadn't realized that the placenta even had a "sound"), so it's not unusual for it not to be picked up on the doppler so early.

Good luck with the sonogram tomorrow -- I'll keep a good thought for you.

Try not to worry... The baby is so small at 10-11 wks, and it very well may be that the baby was nearer your back or facing a different direction, so the doppler couldn't pick up the heartbeat. Several of the women on my Due in May board didn't hear heartbeats until after 12 weeks.

Actually, at my last OB visit (34 wks.), my doctor took a minute to find the heartrate because he was in a weird position. She ended up poking around a little to determine his position before she found his heartbeat... and at this point the baby is probably 5 lbs. or so...

As for lopsidedness... I've thought that I've been lopsided on and off for the whole pregnancy. Also, it is actually possible to have a hernia without knowing about it. My mom did...

Let us know what the doctor says... I'm sure it's all fine :)
Susan

When I was pg with my first the doctor tried to find the hb at 10 weeks and was unable to. I was nervous and upset about it, but he said not to worry and when he had me come back two weeks later--there it was nice and strong.

Try not to worry (easier said than done, I know :))

Kim
#2 due 12/11/02

Hi Liza,
I just wanted to add to these posts to let you know that I don't think my doctor even checks for a heartbeat that early in the pregnancy. The first time I heard the heartbeat in this pregnancy was at 13 1/2 weeks. Hope these posts reassure you.
Good luck with your sono tomorrow!
Erica

Hi Liza! Just wanted to let you know that I am thinking about you. I had the same test done at around 13 weeks when they could not hear the heartbeat (after already hearing it on my visit the month before). Everything turned out fine and I'm hopeful yours will be fine too. Take Care!

Thanks everyone, you don't know how much all your kindness and reassurance means to me. My test is just a couple of hours away and then hopefully all will be well! I will post tomorrow in the am since I have to go right to work afterwards. Thanks again!

Hi everyone, well its good and bad news - first the baby is ok, its got all its arms legs, etc. I could see the heartbeat on the sonogram, all looks well. But I have fibrous cysts. which I guess they have to watch, I will find out more on Monday when I see my new OB. I was seeing a mid-wife but now I will have to switch since I will be more of a high- risk. The worst part is about an hour after the sono, I wound up having severe pain in my right side and had to go home and lay down, got better then got crampy again, hopefully this will not happen all the time, my mid-wife said this is going to be a very long pregnancy for me. Lucky me!! anyway that is my saga, do you think I will still be able to exercise? any thoughts would be appreciated, thanks for listening to all this!
Lisa

Hi Lisa!

Just wanted to pop in to say that I am so glad everything is okay with the baby!!!:) Keep us posted on your problem. I hope your OB can help to make you comfortable.

Your-Friend-In-Fitness, DebbieH http://www.plaudersmilies.de/wavey.gif If You Get The Choice To Sit It Out Or Dance...I Hope You DANCE!!!

Hi Lisa!

Since my babies are 12 1/2 and 15 I can't offer much current advice to you on your pregnancy :)! But I was worried by your first post and was SO relieved by your news! How wonderful that your baby is okay! That is absolutely the main thing, isn't it?

I'm sure the cysts are worrisome but I have had friends carry those things around for years (through pregnancies), so I'll just betcha that if you listen carefully to your doctor and your body everything will be fine.

And as for exercise, I'd say the same thing to you -- listen to your doctor and your body. I suspect you'll be able to exercise with moderation, but you know what? Even if you ended up spending the next nine months like a Couch Queen and had to start your fitness quest back at square one after the baby's born, that would be a small price to pay, IMHO, for a healthy baby and a healthy mama. And that's what we're all hoping for!

Take care!
Kathy S.

You should definitely take this one to your OB...

If they are throwing around words like "high-risk," then you should definitely discuss exercise with your OB. If he/she says that exercise is okay, but that you should take it easy, remember that there are a lot of exercise options... water aerobics or even just kicking around in the pool, for instance... walking (if your pelvic area doesn't feel sore)...

Did your midwife think that the crampiness was due to the cysts? Just to make you feel better... in early pregnancy, both times I've had sharp pains at various times due to gas (I think this happens as you first start to show because your digestive organs are all being smooshed and moved around) or round ligament pain when my belly was first putting a little bit of strain and stretching that area... but, whatever the reason, I think you are right to lie down... and if any pain persists, be sure to talk to your OB ASAP!!

Susan
Healthy Moms Certified Perinatal Fitness Instructor

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.