post partum check in week of Feb 1

shopaholic

Cathlete
Wow, another week has passed. Alexis was weighed at breastfeeding group on Friday and weighed in at 11 pounds. I have lost another half pound and am getting close to preprego weight. Alexis seems much happier since I started her on solids. She is loving her baby gymnee and classical choir piano.

Workout week:
Sunday-Firm vol. 2 ( was at my in laws and must say this workout worked well with my 5 and 8 lb weights that I leave there)
Monday-Stepblast + abs from Step,pump,jump
Tues-PS cst+PS bba=mic hi/lo
Wed-PS legs/Abs
Thursday- Imax Extreme(can't believe I almost forgot I did this workout, selective memory?)
Friday-power hour
Saturday-stepworks+PS abs

Wow shopaholic...not one day off? You're so disciplined. How old is Alexis now, about 5 months? It's hard for me to remember when all our baby's were born! What is your "breastfeeding group"? Is this at a local church or something? What do you guys do there? So many questions...sorry. :)

Still resting. NO exercising for me yet. My stomach is a little sore sometimes. I'm still bleeding too. Sometimes heavier than others. I was hoping to start working out next week (at week 4) but DH wants me to wait for my 6 week check up. We'll see. I'm planning on starting with upper body and light cardio.

Melanie
Baby Justin born 1/17/04

" Take care of your body like it will last a lifetime. Take care of your soul like it will last for eternity"

Hi Melanie,
Be proud of yourself for taking time off. You'll be in such better physical shape when you resume your workouts. Listen to your body, but remember you are not only recovering from surgery but a child came out of your body less than 1 month ago. Alexis is almost 5 months old. She was born September 12. I don't mind the questions at all. My breastfeeding group is held at the hospital where I had Alexis, every other Friday. It is run by a nurse but it is really a social group where people just chat about their children and then we go out to lunch, yup babies and all. Its been a great group for me since as you may recall I moved during my pregnancy and have no local friends.

Shopaholic, I remember now that it was you last year who (when I mentioned I had just moved at 14 weeks pregnant) had also moved during your pregnancy. I moved way the heck from Atlanta, GA to UT for my husband's job. (Coincidentally he is starting yet another job in a week after not liking the one he moved for as much as he thought he would - fortunately we don't have to move again because it is also in Salt Lake City). How do you like where you moved to? Anyway, breastfeeding group sounds like a good support system. I don't mean this rude at all, but are you really 4 11 1/2" - that is so small! How tall is your husband?

Anyway, Melanie, I think I mentioned this before... I wasn't in a hurry to start exercising as soon as I had Max. I waited 5 1/2 weeks before doing any exercise (other than a few crunches here and there)... and I didn't have a c-section, which makes you especially delicate.

Mon- SB warmup, sections 1 & 2 + ME upper body split
Tue- L&G
Wed- MIC hi/lo + Boot Camp cardio + SJ&P hi/lo
Thu- S&H triceps, biceps, chest
Fri- no time!
Sat- S&H back, legs, shoulders

Emy,
How is Max doing? Looks like you had a good workout week. Have you started solid foods yet? Tonight we put alexis in her high chair for the first time and she ate a big bowl of oatmeal. Yes, I am slightly under 5 feet, which is probably why Alexis is so small. Hubby is around 5 foot 8. I think I look taller than I am and usually wear heels. My husband took a voluntary transfer. we live on cape cod which i really like. We used to live about 2 hours away from the cape, and were making the drive evey weekend during the summer and many other weekends through the winter. My in laws primary residence now is cape cod so we do have family support. I miss my old friends and haven't made any close ones hear yet but know i will with time.

Melanie...you just keep resting kiddo...muscles have memory. In fact I think they have much better memory than my mind at times;-) ;-) ;-) !!!

Wow Elyse...you are really petite!! Ever since I read that thread, I thought the wrist measurement thing was interesting. Anyone else care to post their wrist measurements?? (yes I have a fetish for wrists ha ha). Pretty soon we'll be measuring our toes :7 :7 :7 .

Monday: Heavy upper body all parts and abs from KP&C
Tues: S&H legs
Wed: PP 2 sets
Thurs. and Friday...Rest, had two of "those" nights
Saturday: L&G
Sunday rest

Okay guys...I might be able to go heavy but I did L&G for the first time and I could NOT do all the reps and I had no ankle weights on. I HATE ENDURANCE...But I'm sure it's good for me. Put some serious weights on my shoulders and I'll give ya a good squat set, but I can't hold my unweighted leg out in front of me for nothing. Anyone have an easy time with these???

Briee

Edited to put that word NOT in above

Wrist Measurements?

Okay. It's sooooo hard not to begin exercising. But since NOONE thinks it's a good idea to start, I will hold off. I have to tell you that I'm in despirate need for an endorphin rush. It really helps to have you guys repetitively tell me not to begin. Ya'll must think I'm really bullheaded (I am) or stupid...b/c you have to continually tell me the same thing. B/c of you guys I didn't begin working out the day after my Csection!!!

Okay, this may be too personal, but I'm going to insert it here. Skip over if you'd like. DH & I couldn't stand waiting to resume love making. If you remember, DH didn't enjoy making love at all while I was pregnant...he's afraid he'll hurt the baby. So it's been a super dooper long time. Anyways, I'm barely bleeding now-a-days. More like spotting. It wasn't painful, but a little uncomfortable. I think the first time after having a baby us ladies are all up tight that it might hurt that it takes the enjoyment out of it!

Wrist measurements? Well, I am NOT petite. I am 5'8" and prepregnancy weight is about 135-lb. Typically I wear a size 7/8 in pants & size 5/6 in dresses/skirts. My wrist measurement is SIX INCHES. Now I'll have to go back and read what everyone elses wrist measurement is! Too funny.

Melanie
Baby Justin born 1/17/04

" Take care of your body like it will last a lifetime. Take care of your soul like it will last for eternity"

RE: Wrist Measurements?

Shopaholic, Max is doing well. I have not started him on solid foods yet. I really enjoy the bonding time during nursing and am holding off on solids until 6 months because of this. Does that make sense?

My wrist measurement is 5 3/8". I am 5'5". Max wants me to tell you that his wrist measures 4 3/8" :7 He has a nice layer of chub all over, even on his wrist!

Emy,
There is no need to start Max on solids yet. For me, i was thrilled when the doctor said I could start them since Alexis was refusing the bottle and snacking all day. I feel she is happier since we started them but from what I read , at this age breast milk is enough . Melanie, we all understand the need to work out and how hard it is not to exercise during those first few postpartum weeks. i think i may have mentioned this already but in charle prickett's return to slender she shows modifications for someone who had a csection. This may be a good tape for you to start back with.

Hi all!

Wow girls I am so proud of you for your workouts! I am not WORTHY!

Question: when did you start doing abs? Is it okay for me to start working them now? Baby Tyler will be 3 wks old come this Friday. I had a vaginal birth. My abs still feel a lil' sore but I can tell they're getting much better!

Briee- I can't believe you are already doing S&H legs again! I think I would fall over backward! I have lost so much strength. Hopefully in a month or so I'll get it back out!

Mel- I am proud of you for waiting! Keep it up! I am jealous on the sex thing! DH and I can't wait until that 6 wk checkup! uggghhh! How's breastfeeding going? How is your pump working? I ordered mine and it should be here by Wed. at the latest. I am nervous about the pump thing and introducing a bottle! I sure hope it works! :eek:

Well, I started working out last week! It felt so good! I have lost so much strength but am still getting a kick butt workout w/half the effort as I am so out of shape! LOL! :p

Wed - PUB
Thurs - CTX 10-10-10 (cardio only)
Fri - Off
Sat - Imax 2 (intervals 1-8) plus ME Upper Body
Sun - Off

Today I did Imax 2 (int 4-10) plus Body Max upper body.

I am gained so much weight in my hips/butt I still can't fit in my jeans! uggghhh! I went and bought a bigger pair this weekend at Old Navy. I sure hope to be in my pre-preggo pants by the time I go back to work! I tried a pair of work pants on yesterday and I can get them up, zip them but they look like I painted them on my butt, thighs and belly! I have at least 15-20 more lbs to lose to be at pre-preggo wt!

Breastfeeding is going good for me and Tyler. He had gained 5 oz in a week as of Friday. The doc was happy. I really am liking BFing and am so glad it is working. With my other son it didn't work as my milk never came in due to him not being a good sucker :(

DH & I are going on a Valentine's date night on Friday. Movie and some din din! Hoping I can pump enough to get some milk for my mother-in-law to feed Tyler. Think I am crazy for tryin'?

Are you gals goin' on any hot dates for V-day?? Are you taking or leaving the baby with someone? I figure if I don't get enough milk via the pump then we'll just take em' with us???

p.s. sorry for the book.....

abs

Fitnut, According to Expecting Fitness, after a vaginal birth you can start doing abdominal curls after 1 week and abdominal pulses and planks after 2 weeks post partum. I can't believe you are doing Imax 2 after only 3 weeks! Don't worry about your weight loss. 3 weeks is so soon. It will come off faster because you are breastfeeding and you will fit into your clothes in several months! And since you asked, my husband is taking me to eat and alotting me spending money. Should I spend it on workout equipment or clothes... hmmm...

RE: abs

Fitnut,
Of course you are worthy. At 3 weeks postpartum , I was just walking and still in my maternity clothes. I started doing abs and legwork at about 3 1/2 weeks postpartum starting with buns of steel postpartum tape. Hubby and I haven't talked about valentines day plans, perhaps we will do what we did for new years, take out from olive garden. I find it more relaxing eating in with Alexis. I am sure my in laws would babysit but alexis is awful when I am not around. In terms of the bottle, don't go by Alexis. Most babies will drink from a bottle and now Alexis has decided that a bottle isn't so bad.
On a lighter note, I can't resist the sales on kids clothes, old navy and toysrus have great prices right now.
Maggie, where are you? Is Bardric feeling better?

Hi Shopaholic, Emy, Briee, Melanie, Fitnut and anyone else my post partum brain may have forgotten for the moment--

I have been incredibly busy (hubby's out of town again:-( ), so I have not had a chance to post in a while.

Bardric still has a stuffy nose and is fairly cranky, but not all of the time, so I think he is feeling better. I think that he is wanting to eat solids, because he starts to breath in an excited way whenever I hold him when I am eating. He also reaches for my food and watches intently. I was hoping to hold off until 6 months also, but he is giving me all the signs. Oh he is growing and it makes me kind of sad in a way.

My wrist size is 6 inches and I am 5'4". I don't really know what that means, but I definitely don't have a dainty bone structure.

I have lost another pound, so I am .5 lbs away from my pre preg weight, but still 30 lbs from where I would like to be. My husband does not want me to lose that much weight, but right now it is kind of a moot point, since I am nowhere close to where I want to be. THis rotation was not as successful as I would have liked, but I have one more week and then I am going to try and Intensity rotation. My body seems to respond better to strength training than endurance. I lost the most weight during my PS/Classics rotation. Oh well, babbling now....:p

Melanie--I vote for you to wait until your doc gives you the okay--you just had major surgery and you don't have much to lose.

About Valentines day--we will just make a nice meal and share it with the kids:9 We love cooking together.

My work out week--almost forgot
Mon 2 Power circuit(cardio only)/Body Max part 2 only
Tues 3 Rest
Wed 4 IMAX II
Thurs 5 CTX UB
Fri 6 All step/S&I(cardio only on both)
Sat 7 stationary bike 40 min, leg work with barbell
Sun 8 tae bo advanced

take care everyone
Maggie
19.5lbs/22.5"down
30.5lbs/22.5" to go

Maggie,
Sorry to hear that Barderic still feeling ucky. Looks like you had a great workout week. I'll bet in a few months you will be under your preprego weight with all the hard work you are doing. Why is everyone waiting til the 6th month mark to start solids? I don't feel I am jipping Alexis since I mix her cereal with breast milk and she is still nursed. Most people I know did start solids at 4 months. Guess, my guilt has set in realizing that you and Emy haven't started solids yet.

Shopaholic--no guilt!;-) I think that most people do start solids earlier than 6 months. If he were my first child I could tell you why Iwant to wait until 6 months because I remember vaguely that there was some reason that this number stuck in my brain, but I can't for the life of me remember what it is anymore:p. I am lazy, too, I guess, because solids and babies are so messy to begin with.

Our downs child was started with solids around 3 months. We thickened my breasmilk with cereal and tried mostly unsuccessfully to feed him from a cup(in addition to the tube feeding), since he couldn't suck. Also, we mixed my breastmilk with a little formula to boost is from 20cal/oz to 24cal/oz, so that we wouldn't have to feed him such a great volume by tube.

ANyway--my lengthy point is babies are different and family situations are different. You aren't short changing little Alexis one bit. And next time I go to the store, I am getting some cereal for Mr. B, because baby wants food!

take care
Maggie

Thanks Maggie. Yes, solids are very messy. Alexis now has an orange tinge to her hair from sweet potatoes. Miss Alexis was so hungry tonight she ate a jar of baby applesauce then a bowl of oatmeal with 2 ounces of breastmilk, then 1 hour later finished her meal with more boob milk.

Solid foods

If it makes anyone feel any better, Justin is on a strictly liquid diet. ;-) Sorry, I couldn't resist.

Breastfeeding is going well, as is pumping. I get a little nervous sneaking away to pump once a day, what if Justin gets up and he's hungry? Well, I"ve found that he's just as happy sucking away, even if there is NOT any milk in them nummies (our name for breasts).

I broke down and bought a pacifier for him today. He gets so fussy b/w 6-10pm. He's not hungry, his diaper is dry, I try to hold him in different ways, walk with him, sing to him,...you get the idea. So tonight I gave him a pacifier. He took it!! I was so relieved I actually cried (still hormonal). I can't help but feel a little bad. I pray that he doesn't get the all dreaded "Nipple Confusion". I'm hoping all will be okay b/c it's Playtex, the same brand as the once-a-day bottle he's getting.

Oh, if anyone is using Enfamil or Similiac formula...I have bunches of coupons I can mail you. Let me know & I'll send them to you, K?

Melanie
Baby Justin born 1/17/04

RE: Solid foods

Melanie,
I wouldn't worry about the pacifier. Justin is obviously well nurtured and it sounds like you are doing a great job with the nursing. In my breastfeeding group, almost all the babies have pacifiers. The only reason alexis doesn't have one is because the little princess didn't want it. Alexis is looking for a valentine, although her daddy keeps saying he'll be hers. Any takers from the group of eligible bachlors? Wow, is alexis the only girl of the group?

Shopaholic--I thought Justin already had first dabs on Alexis?!?@?! Yes, I think she IS the only girl. Wow.

Thanks for the comforting words regarding pacifier/breastfeeding. I wouldn't want to jeapordize our breastfeeding, I really enjoy it. However, DH tried to give Justin a bottle last night and he wouldn't take it. :-( The night before he didn't have one b/c the Justin & I went to a baby shower. Little Justin just screamed and screamed. Really hard. I felt so bad. I tried to go in a corner of the house so I wouldn't hear him b/c I think it's important that Dad learns how to calm him down too. This is sooooooo hard b/c I want to jump in and hold him when he's like that (it wouldn't make a difference if I held him). Anyway, we broke down and I breastfed. I"m thinking that DH tried to feed him during his 'fussy' time. He should maybe try to give him his bottle during his 'non-fussy' time. We'll try to do that...

Melanie
Baby Justin born 1/17/04

Melanie,
With the bottle thing, the advice I was given.
1. Make sure you are well away from Justin, leave the room.
2. Have hubby try when Justin is calm, sometimes half asleep is the best time. If it doesn't work, try again another time.
Hope this helps and realize Justin is ok even if he is crying. You may want to try different bottles and nipples,I know you said you are using playtex, they do have a great reputation, but we ended up using gerber with nipnuk nipples.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.