post partum check in week of Feb 1

RE: Solid foods

Melanie, I think the reason that you don't give cereal before 6 months is due to the MANY allergies to grains that are developing because this has been done in the past. Keep in mind this is a guideline. You've got to do what works for you. I keep reminding myself of this....breast feeding is best...but it just can't be done in my situation. God has given me breast infections to give me understanding for others (every situation is different). I was one of these women that went to Laleche and peered down my nose at moms who "ACTUALLY HAD THE NERVE TO SHOW UP WITH BOTTLES" in their diaper bags. I was an all or nothing mom. My first son didn't EAT or DRINK until he was 25 months old. (he had some kind of gag reflex problem and I had so much milk...he didn't need anything else!!). I offered him food, but he wouldn't eat it. All of my babies haven't eaten until the age of one at least, not by my choice...they just didn't want anything but milk. So do what works for you!!!!

Laleche is incredibly supportive to moms who want to breast feed, but I think their bottle guidelines (when to give baby bottle, binky's etc) may make it tough to transition to the bottle as many babies only want to nurse if you wait until 6 weeks to introduce bottle, all depends on baby. I don't think your binky will confuse baby...believe me when he's hungry he will want to nurse!!!

Let us know how he does.

Briee

Mel- glad he took the passy. I can just see you cryin' hormonally with happiness:) I would probably do the same. Hopefully he will do fine with the passy and the 1 bottle a day.

I pumped today for the first time. I got 1 oz the first time and 1.5 oz the 2nd time. The first time I had just fed 30 min prior so could be why??

I'm so happy b/c we got enough milk to go on date night and let granmda feed him out of the bottle. He took a bottle today with no probs from DH. I am going to pump 1-2 more times in the morning to make sure he has enough for at least 1 good feeding tomorrow evening. We're just going to dinner and a movie. We're going to see Along Came Polly! I can't wait:)

Do ya' all know how much milk you are suppose to be able to pump out at this time? Tyler is exactly 3 wks tomorrow! I can't believe it! I am wondering how much milk he is getting from me.

Briee-sorry to hear about your bfing probs. My fist son never latched on properly. I had cracked, bloody nipples and my milk never came in so I can so relate to you. This time I was blessed and it has just worked like a charm...miracle. Even tho my son was a formula fed baby he was never on antibiotics until he was over a year old and has been super healthy! I think formula has come a LONG way the past 10 yrs!

FitNut,
When Max was around 3 weeks, I started pumping, but felt like I could never get very much out without depriving him of food. I always waited until a while after he was done eating, but still couldn't get very much out. I think after 2 to 2.5 months it became a lot easier. Now, if I need to pump, I do it first thing in the morning on the side he won't eat on until later. Happy 3 weeks to Tyler!

Crying time?

Fitnut, My pediatrician said babies usually take 2-3oz at this age. I noticed that I have been getting slightly more milk from each breast now (from the pump) so he must be drinking about 3oz at a setting now. Justin is exactly 4 weeks old tomorrow at 215am. He's one week older than Tyler! I do notice that certain times of the day I can get more than others. My breasts are never engorged anymore...and sometimes I get nervous that I'm going to dry out (paranoia). Milk still squirts out like a little faucet sometimes.

Pacifier is going well. My DH feels same way about pacifier that I do...so it's a difficult thing to use & accept for us. I'm not sure why we feel this way. We're just strange I suppose. ;-) We've decided to limit it to his cranky time (6-11pm), that way we feel like we're aiding in his contentment, not neglecting his needs. Throughout the day he can easily be comforted with holding on to him & cuddling. It's not always convienent to do this, but it's all part of being a parent, right? My oldest son had a blankie he carried around with him until he was about 4. I will promote (mainipulate) blankie time when Justin gets a little older. I already have the blankie picked out for him. ;-)

Briee, I was just kidding about the cereal/solid foods. :D :D :D I'm sorry, it's not always easy to tell when someone is kidding online (sometimes people don't get my jokes when I'm right in front of them). Justin is a LONG way from getting solids. Just breastmilk for my little guy for now. Oh, and I totally know what you mean about God teaching us little lessons. Remember how I was just heartbroken that I didn't get an epidural? I really think God was looking over me...perhaps that epidural would have paralyzed me? Or perhaps it's a lesson on how I shouldn't try to be so independent...instead I need to be dependent on God, in all situations! So many lessons to be learned from our great God!

Any thoughts as to how long I should let my little guy cry when I put him to bed? 5 minutes? He cries everytime I put him in bed. I don't want to run in there everytime b/c I want him to be able to fall asleep on his own. He'll be one month old already tomorrow!!! Any suggestions would be appreciated?

Briee, what type of formula are you using?

Melanie
Baby Justin born 1/17/04

" Take care of your body like it will last a lifetime. Take care of your soul like it will last for eternity"

RE: Crying time?

Melanie,
At 1 onth old Justin may not be able to soothe self, i would try putting him down for a few minutes to see if he falls asleep but he may only fall asleep nursing at his age. Alexis hated her bassinet and would only fall asleep nursing or in her swing for he first 2 1/2 months. Poor Alexis slept many nights in her take along swing because she would be awake after nursing, mommy would be tired and she'd scream when put in her bassinet. Now I can put her awake in her crib and she will fall asleep if tired.

When was she able to fall asleep in her crib? I don't mind nursing him to sleep, or even cuddling him when he's sleeping...but then when I try to put him in his crib (when he's completely out sleeping) he wakes up shortly after crying. I"m wondering if I should let him cry for a few minutes to see if he can go back to sleep at this point? There's so many theories. Just wondering what worked for you guys?

Melanie
Baby Justin born 1/17/04

" Take care of your body like it will last a lifetime. Take care of your soul like it will last for eternity"

We moved alexis to her crib at around 3 months. If Justin wakes up shortly after falling asleep, you may want to leave him for a few minutes to see if he falls asleep on his own, but if he doesn't don't worry, he eventually will fall asleep on his own. You may also want to wake Justin after nursing if he's only gone on 1 side to offer the 2nd. This is what the vna nurse told me. Change the diaper and then offer the 2 nd side, maybe he's waking back up because he's still hungry.

Good idea about waking him up to offer other breast. He's notorious (sp?) for just eating off one side. :) I will give that a try. I hate waking him up when he's sleeping--he looks like a little angel. :) Don't they all?!?!? Are you sure you haven't raised more kids? You are soooo knowledgeable. ;-)

Melanie
Baby Justin born 1/17/04

Mealanie,
You are so sweet. The only other child I've raised is hubby. LOL. I have made plenty of mistakes and keep learning. I hated waking Alexis up, thinking why wake a sleeping child, but it did help. Strangely, I was nursing on both sides then but now alexis will only take the left side so I am lopsided.

Shopaholic...you are a wonderful mom. I have six and you'd think I'd be better at laying them down and letting them cry, but I'm still terrible at it. I hold them (or in the past always nursed them) until they fall asleep and then put them down. Or I put Noah in the most wonderful swing and he goes right to sleep. I've never been able to just put a baby down to sleep. And I'm sure that I should be!! ( I know you didn't mean that you should let them cry a long time!!! ).

Melanie. Formula...well lets see. This has been so tough this time. We started him on the Similac advance with extra stuff in it for the brain development, but he was constipated so we tried the low iron and then the lactose free. Finally we had to use the Alimentum from similac which is mucho bucks (has predigested hydrolyzed protein). Then I began researching about raw milk formulas and I started making that for him, but when I started to transition him to that his stool got harder again so now I'm mixing the homemade stuff with half the Alimentum and he is doing well right now. I want to go completely to the raw goat milk recipe when he is older if possible as it has all kinds of good stuff in it. Raw Milk, organic gelatin, expeller pressed - organic sunflower oil, coconut oil, cod liver oil, bifidophilus for babies, nutritional yeast, acerola (a form of vitamin C), lactose, homemade whey. It is supposed to have qualities very much like mothers milk so I hope he will adjust to this as he gets older. It also has the raw enzymes similar to mother's milk for his little intestines. Its very interesting...when I went to the raw goat milk formula his stool was very much like a nursing babies stool, don't know if this means everything, but I was happy with it.

I know...I'm extremely weird when it comes to eating. If I wasn't a Christian...I'd be a full blown tree hugger. We are pretty natural minded. I was encouraged by whoever it was that said their bottle baby didn't get very sick (didn't need antibiotics) until after he was one. Did he get ear infections? I always here that bottle babies get ear infections. I think only two or three of our children have ever taken an antibiotic and probably only once in their life. The others haven't had any. We have been pretty healthy, thank the Lord.

Briee

Briee- yep, it was me that said my 1st son wasn't on antibiotics until he was a year old and he was formula fed. And nope, he didn't get ear infections. We also had probs with him being constipated with the iron in the formula. The doc finally had us start putting dark karo syrup in his bottles. It only takes a little bit (about 1/4-1/2 oz in a 6-9 oz bottle and it did wonders. Helped keep him regular until he was no longer taking bottles. Might want to mention it to your doc and see what he/she says?

Melanie - Tyler also gets fussy sometimes at night when we put him in the bassinet in our room. He sleeps just fine in the playpen (we use the bassinet portion of the playpen) that we have in the family room but for some reason he doesn't like sleeping upstairs in our room. Guess it is b/c he spends more time in the family room? So, usually we fall asleep on the couch until he wakes up at 1-2 a.m. and then I feed him and we go to bed. Need to get out of that habit I know! He has been getting better the past few nights though and now he is sleeping better in his bassinet.

I am also like you Briee. I cuddle my lil' guy to sleep when he gets fussy. Found it helps us ALL get the sleep we need. I have read you can't spoil them too much at this phase.

We also have one of those Fisher Price Baby Papason chairs! It is the greatest thing! It has a bouncer in it and the cutest softest music! It is soooooo soft I wish they made one for adults! Tyler just LOVES it! We always put him in it during dinner! We also use it during his really fussy times and it puts him right to sleep! They're a little pricey but worth every single penny!

All I know is I feel so blessed in my life right now! I am so thankful to our Lord above for my 2 pefect sons, my loving husband and friens like ya' all! Guess I am a little emotional.... ;(

Time for bed! Chat w/ya' in the morn'!

Yes, FitNut, you need to go to bed! And so do I!

Just posting to see if you and briee have any pictures to email??

Maggie--eating noises

Maggie, late last night I was checking out some other forums and I noticed that one of your pet peeves is eating noises. Mine too! Oral noises irk me to no end, even if it's my dog licking his legs...it drives me nuts. When I was little my dad had something wrong with his nasal system and he had to eat with his mouth open. I would even cry sometimes b/c the noise bothered me so much. Just the thought of it makes me cringe! Just thought I'd share :) :-D

Melanie
Baby Justin born 1/17/04

RE: Maggie--eating noises

Oh boy! I thought I was the only one with that bizarre pet peeve:eek: :p. I wish I did not have it though, because it makes eating with others somewhat stressful. It's hard to enjoy a meal sometimes. Background music helps somewhat. And gum drives me purely insane--my kiddos think this is the forbidden fruit--it is a special treat they get to enjoy when they go out with dad.

I noticed that one other woman responded to that also--so you and I are not alone :+

thanks for letting me know

I am glad to hear the pumping is going well--keep it up!

Maggie

Maggie, the pet peeve does make dinner time stressful. I feel so bad. DH says that eating with me isn't even fun b/c he feels like he's too loud. I don't say anything, I just stare at him. I know it's mean, but I just can't help it. Gum isn't too bad, as long as people chew with their mouths closed. There's this one lady at church who smacks her gum throughout the whole service, every service. It drives me mad. I try not to sit next to her. If she sits next to me, I try to find another seat. Anyway, it's nice to know we're not alone.

Fitnut, how did your dinner date go? Was Grandma able to bottle feed little Tyler? How's the pumping going? Just curious, are you using both breasts when you pump? So was your total volume 1-oz between both breasts? Also, are you pumping past the point when your milk is being expressed? What kind of storage containers are you using?

Briee, I should have known that you'd be using some exotic kind of formula for Noah. ;-) You're such a nature nut! It's a good thing, and I'm impressed with your knowledge of such things. Whatever works for you and your little guy!!! I was hoping I'd be able to pass on these coupons to you. I have $10 off coupons, and I feel awful not using them. Oh, and your Fisher Price Pompous thing sounds really nice. I checked it out at Target.com --- we have a rocker bouncer that Justin just adores (and so do we). I bought a swing for him 2 days ago, but he doesn't seem to like it. I think I will return it. I got gift certificates for baby shower gifts & I just don't know what to get with them. I think I'll just save it till later. I could always get diapers and stuff, right?!?!?

Melanie
Baby Justin born 1/17/04

Too bad you can't get Cathe DVD's with your gift certificates ;) ;) . Don't they know what "us mom's" need the most?????

Fitnut...I'm curious too......about how it went with Tyler and the bottle feeding grandma.

Briee

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.