Post baby belly!

MelissaPC

Hi everyone!
I don't get much of a chance to post these days! Ryan is 11 weeks old and doesn't like to give mommy alot of computer time!:D
I've been trying to exercise, but Ryan doesn't really give me time yet for videos so I've been doing alot of walking with baby & dog! I can get my video workouts in on the weekends when DH (or Nana) can watch the big guy!
The weight loss is slow & frustrating, but some of it is coming off. I was actually able to fit into a pair of denim shorts - OK, they're a size bigger than I used to wear but hopefully it's a good sign!:)
What's driving me nuts is my tummy and my hips. Is it possible to flatten your tummy post pregnancy? I was on another baby board and the ladies there said it was impossible and you just have to live with it.:-( Is that really true? I'm doing my ab exercises; I'm trying!
And these hips, ugh!:-rollen
Melissa

Hi Melissa,

Congratulations on Ryan. You are doing great - exactly what you are supposed to be doing, taking care of yourself and your baby. That's fantastic that you are walking with both baby and dog. Just remember that during pregnancy most women do gain a few "fat deposits" around certain areas of their body, i.e. hips, thighs, etc. You just keep doing what you are doing and the weight will come off. Give yourself credit for the exercise that you are now doing. You will get back to somewhat of a routine pretty soon. We women are much too hard on ourselves when it comes to things like losing baby weight. I always tell my "moms" to give themselves twice as long to get back in shape as they think it should take. Remember, it took ~ 9 months to put it on......

As for the comment that you got on another board regarding regaining a flat stomach after pregnancy... How many women on that board are exercising or exercised through their pregnancies? I have heard comments from many of my "exercising moms" regarding internet pregnancy boards and the fact that the majority of posters don't make exercise a priority when they are pregnant. Let's face it, women who exercise when they are pregnant are definitely in the minority, which is quite unfortunate. I have been teaching prenatal /postpartum classes for almost 14 years now. Yes, I have seen many women regain their abdominal muscle tone. Just look at our Cathe!

Have you been checked for "diastasis recti?" This is a separation of the two recti muscles which can be corrected with appropriate exercises. If you are separated you should avoid any exercise that involves torso rotation. There is a great book by Elizabeth Noble called "Essential Exercises for the Childbearing Year," which contains the corrective exercises for diastasis recti. If you have a separation and do not rehab the abdominals correctly, this may have an impact on "getting your abs back" the way you want to.

Hope this helps and gives you some encouragement. Keep us posted on your progress and enjoy your precious time with that little guy. I have found out that they literally do "grow up overnight!"

Sheila

Sheila Watkins, MLSci.
Founder and National Program Director
Healthy Moms(R)Fitness

Hi Melissa!

I see Sheila has given you great advice but just wanted to jump in to say, YES, it is possible to get flat ABS again. My babies are 23 & 29 now :7 but I got better looking ABS after they were born due to a better committment to exercise. (I even had a C-section with my second child) Now, if I can just figure out how to get them flat AGAIN due to this pre-menopausal stage I'm going thru!!! ;-) Like Sheila said, take it a day at a time. Enjoy Ryan every minute. It goes by waaaay too quick. Before you know it, you'll have some kind of a normal schedule and you'll be able to get your workouts in. How nice that DH & Nana can help on the weekends. Keep us posted.

Your-Friend-In-Fitness, DebbieH http://www.plaudersmilies.de/wavey.gif If You Get The Choice To Sit It Out Or Dance...I Hope You DANCE!!!

RE: Hi Melissa!

[font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON Jun-15-02 AT 04:03PM (Est)[/font][p]I worked out a lot during my pregnancy and my abs were back to normal after about 3 months. So, don't despair, it can be done. I ate healthy, breastfed the baby for 2 yrs and exercised after about a month or so, starting with fast walking and stair-climbing (using actual stairs in my house), light weights, ab work, and moving on to running and hi/lo, and heavier weights after about 2 months. The only unfair advantage I may have had is that I was young (27) and a pear.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.