infants poor sleep

debcpa28

My 5 week old little Clayton hates to sleep. I swear he sleeps maybe 3 hrs during the day and 2 or so it seems at night. He is growing like a champ gained 2 pounds and 1 inch in 4 weeks and I am exclusively breastfeeding but I am worried about his sleep habits. I thought infants slept alot??

After 3 kids I have come to discover "sleeps like a baby" means wake up after very short naps to eat!:p

There is a book I love called "Healthy Sleep Habits Happy Child" by Mark Weissbluth. Solves every sleep problem I've ever come across with my brood.

Babies change faster than the wind.......Enjoy your little one!

And Congratulations!!

Last edited:
My middle son NEVER EVER slept. Not during the day, not during the night. I thought he was a total anomaly, but turns out, some babies just don't sleep as much as others. It's really rough on them and us, I know. I never read the book Kate suggested, maybe it will do the trick for you. Good luck!!! ((Hugs))

I agree that some babies are different than others. My baby now sleeps MUCH better than my second son. He barely slept at all and I think the first two months I was in a fog of exhaustion. It will get better though! they can't keep that up forever.
I liked the book "the no cry sleep solution". haven't needed it really though cause my baby is sleeping pretty good at night except to wake to eat and if he gets bad gas which he can't help. hope you get some sleep soon!

Yes, I had one of those babies, too. He averaged 8 hours TOTAL of sleep every day. There is hope though..my son now sleeps 11-12 hours at night (still wakes once) and takes 2 naps of 1 1/2-2 hours each day. He started figuring out the sleep thing at around 8 weeks.

Hugs to you. I know it's exhausting!! I was an absolute mess the first couple months.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.