I am gaining a lot of weight! I am always hungry! What can I do!

mbkirk

I am 33 years old and have exercised consistently since I was 14. I have been blessed with a very muscular physique and I could eat anything and everything with no problems. I am now four months pregnant and find I am gaining a lot of weight! I work full-time plus with zero flexibility (sedentary activity) and have a three-year old. My appetite has increased, I eat more, I have less time than ever to work out, and it's catching up with me. The fatigue has been a part of this, I am so tired that I eat to feel more energetic. I try to eat healthy, frequent, high-fiber meals but I am still the eating machine!
Any thoughts on how to get a handle on this? I am really scared that whatever time I get now is going to be non-existent after the baby- dooming me to be a dumpy mom. Help!

Hi and congratulations! Just relax. Your hormones are raging right now which also contributes to your moods as well as your bodily changes. These things all happen with pregancy and you just need to relax and accept the changes. If you are an eating machine right now, regardless of how carefully you are trying to eat, your body simply needs it. You will experience many, many changes in behavior and diet as the pregancy progresses. Just take on day at a time, do only what you can, and let mother nature do the rest. Things will work out in the end. After you have the baby you can work out a schedule. No need to worry about that now. Take Care!

Long, but I hope it helps!

Give yourself a break -- you are growing a whole new human being inside of you, and it is totally normal to feel famished, exhausted... all of the things you describe. Additionally, Mother Nature is intentionally putting an extra layer of maternal fat on your body to protect the baby and to provide the fat you'll need to get your milk started after you give birth.

I think that women (and especially moms) often get into a vicious cycle of thinking that, if we get out of shape, it is a forever existance. I've been there, done that, and it really just had me in a spiral of despair over my body. Instead, it is helpful to just start doing something -- if you don't feel up to anything else, take a 5 minute walk with the stroller... or do 10 squats... or do the first 5 minutes of a prenatal video at night (and don't be surprised if suddenly you find yourself doing the whole thing :). Do small bits that you know you can accomplish. Afterwards, instead of saying, "Aw man, I am so lazy... fat... (or any number of the other hateful things we women tend to say to ourselves)... I can't believe I only did 5 minutes worth" tell yourself, "Good girl! That was 5 minutes more/10 squats more than I would've done if I'd sat on the couch." Start small, and always, always, make a habit of giving yourself positive feedback for any level of movement that is beyond what you'd usually do. Eventually, you'll find yourself wanting to do more because even the most moderate exercise almost always gives you more energy... Also, it is very, very important to exercise for your health first and foremost... if you are consistent for that reason, your body will follow.

Prenatal exercise really helped me get a handle on my self-image... for once in my life, I exercised for strength and energy (and because it helped my aching back during my first pregnancy) instead of to "get skinny" (wasn't going to happen anyway, so why worry about it :) I was lucky that Sheila Watkins (moderator of this board :) held her Healthy Moms classes about 5 minutes from my house, so I had a scheduled time just for me every week. The classes were twice a week, and I also tried to get out and walk at least a couple of more times. I hadn't exercised for about 4 mos. prior to getting pregnant, and so I didn't push it too hard, but I tried to get my body moving as often as I could.

Really, I had an epiphany during my months of working out during that first pregnancy. Every time I exercised -- even on those days when I barely shuffled into the aerobics room because I felt so tired -- it made me feel better. I kept up moderate exercise until the day before my due date (my son was due the day after)... and when I gave birth to my son, I felt strong and capable. I was proud of what my body could do. Now, that said, let me add to this that I'm 5'10" -- my "happy weight" (a small size 10) is somewhere in the low 140's... and, as I am prone to doing in my adult life, I'd gained a good 15 lbs. or more prior to getting pregnant(I was only married 3 mos. before we conceived, and the excitement of honeymooning, moving to a new location, and being blissfully happy got me away from good eating habits and exercise :) ... then I gained another 43 lbs. while I was pregnant (Oh did I ever crave Whoppers with Cheese LOL :), so I was something like 203 the day I gave birth. I have to admit that, at the end, I'd lost my good humor... I cried and cried after my last regular OB visit the day before my son was born. My cervix hadn't progressed in a month's time, and the scale said that I'd gained something like 9 lbs. in my last month of pregnancy (there was probably some water gain there). I felt huge and hormonal... my quote of the day was, "WAAAH! The only thing the doctor told me today is that I'm FAAAAT!" (My poor husband had to listen to this all day long LOL :)

But... because I'd exercised during my pregnancy, I was able to get back into it much more quickly than most women... within 4 days I was out walking with my son in the Baby Bjorn, I earned my Healthy Moms certification, took and taught stroller classes, continued to do Sheila's perinatal class with the postpartum variations, and within 4 mos., I'd lost all 43 pregnancy lbs... and another 10 came off within the next 5 mos. after that. The baby was born in February, and by August, I looked better and felt better than I had in years. The more I did, the more I wanted to do. I did work at it, but I honestly feel that consistency and nursing were the answer rather than dieting.

And guess what I did... when my son was 9 mos. old, my husband and I moved up here to New England for my husband's new job... I kept up a routine of jogging & exercise videos for the first few months... and then my husband's company closed down, I didn't know a sole, and here we were living with my Mother-in-law (it was only supposed to be for a couple of months while we sold our own house and bought another... it ended up being a 6 month stay while my husband got another job and THEN we found a house!)... and then the Maine winter set in, and it snowed and snowed and snowed... we had snow on the ground from Christmas until MAY! I was feeling seriously depressed, and so I slowly got away from exercising, and I baked a WHOLE bunch... and I put on those same 15 or so pounds... and then, I got pregnant again LOL :) Sigh! Luckily, though, this time, I had just gotten back into my exercise routine, and begun to teach prenatal aerobics at the local YMCA... so through this pregnancy I've continued to move my body... this time I spend a lot of time on the elliptical trainer (usually 35-40 minutes at a time), I am consistent with resistance exercises, and I did some step classes for the first 6 mos. (modifying as I needed to) of my pregnancy... Now I'm 32 wks. pregnant, and I've recently had a little bit of sciatica, so this past week I switched swimming laps... I'm not fast, but it feels great to kick around in the pool, and I'm finding that I'm using different muscles, so that's good, too. The weight has come on a little slower this time (but not by much... we're looking at 35-40 lbs. this time)... but mostly my attitude is SO much improved. I know I'll be able to get it off again... I'm not even worried about it. Instead, I'm shopping for a double jog stroller, and I'll be adding stroller classes to the prenatal classes that I currently teach. My next goal is to get AFAA certified (I was certified when I was just out of college, but I'd let it expire) and to begin teaching "regular" classes.

Okay, so I've rambled on and on... but, the bottom line is, you CAN do it, and it will feel great. You don't have to go nuts at this stage and feel like you have to do huge workouts. Anything you do for yourself is ALL GOOD! :)

Hang in there :)
Susan

RE: Long, but I hope it helps!

That was an inspiring post, Susan!

I needed that, afetr seeing that my total weight gain is 36 lb. so far.

6 weeks to go...

RE: Long, but I hope it helps!

Susan,

you summed up so eloquently the whole weight gain equation - it was great to hear how exercise has had such a positive effect on your self image, especially pre natally.

I must admit, I'm a bit worried about weight gain, especially as I gained 60 pounds last pregnancy. I attribute the huge weight gain to feeling very uncertain about the whole pregnancy thing...and when I'm stressed, like a lot of us, I eat! In the end I remember thinking as I ate something not so healthy "what does it matter and why bother".

This time however I've tried to be a whole lot more moderate and focus on self care. ie. I'm not feeding my baby junk food because I care and trying to make better food choices...and I'm all systems go on the exercise side as well and have committed to having a fit pregnancy this time around. At 14 weeks, I've gained five pounds, but I'm expecting this to go up now I've hit the second trimester. I've just started to pop out and my classes are telling me I've got a bit of a belly.. I'm telling them that it is what happens when you're pregnant, especially second time around!

One thing I did learn from my massive weight gain is that all was not lost. Even though it took me nearly two years, I did get back into fantastic shape - if I can do it , anyone can!

Take care,
Liz N.

Whopper with cheese

I had to laugh when I was reading your post, Whoppers with cheese?? I thought, yuck! That's because I was thinking of the CANDY Whoppers (I always think of candy before anything else.) Then it hit me what you were talking about, duh!!!

You provide the BEST info to the postees, thanks for all your helpful insight.

RE: Whopper with cheese

LOL -- now THAT would be a combination LOLOL :)

Thank you for your nice comment -- that was really sweet :)
Susan

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.