How are you modifying Cathe's workouts for 2nd and 3rd Trimester?

LovingLife

Cathlete
After a first trimester fatigue slump and a month vacation across the country with my family, I am just getting back into working out again -- this is my 3rd week back into it (and believe me -- I had to start at beginner level -- simple lunges and dips were an adventure!) But I think I'm ready this week to go up a notch to try to incorporate some of Cathe's tapes into my regime.

Here's what I'm thinking I'll need to do for modifications -- I usually use a 6 inch step for her step work and I'm thinking I should take it down a level to 4 inches. I'll lessen my weights a bit to start out too. But I'm wondering what other alterations you have done. Did you have to lower the intensity or impact of much of the cardio work? I'm thinking my body won't handle intervals and plyos that well (this morning on a Firm tape, I just did squats during the plyos and low jacks for high jacks). Any suggestions would be great! -- Renee

Check out the Video Fitness Pregnancy notebook

A VFer wrote up a detailed explanation of how she modified some of Cathe's workouts during one of her pregnancies. Since Cathe re-uses many of her "signature" moves in several videos, it might help you get some good ideas.

I think your idea of lowering your step to 4 inches is good. Don't necessarily do it now though. Do it when you feel that 6 inches is leaving you uncomfortably winded ( The ol' talk test! :) ) If you really like your plyo and you don't get too out of breathe, there's no real reason to take it out. Dr. Clapp in his book Exercising Through Your Pregnancy recomends getting one of those maternity support belts for your tummy as you get bigger if you're going to be doing any impact. I figure I'll try that before taking out too many of my favorite higher impact moves. :) Of course, I'm only 8 weeks right now. Who knows how I'll need to modify when I actually get there myself. I'm playing it by ear and listening to my body as go along. Good luck!

Erin

RE: Check out the Video Fitness Pregnancy notebook

Thanks for the advice Erin -- I did most of Rhythmic Step today (and all of the cardio circuit parts of Power Circuit yesterday plus the chest work from Step and Intervals yesterday) and really enjoyed both. What I'm finding w/plyometrics is that I can do hops and turns that have one foot landing at the same time, but my body isn't able to hold it all in for the two foot stuff, so I modify there. I'm still able to get some intensity there, so that's nice. I'm sure you'll notice some big changes as you grow. It's not just the tummy that needs to keep from not bouncing when I jump or even step, but it's holding everything from the upper thigh up together -- I'm finding that it's an ab workout for my body just to keep everything in tact -- but I'm doing surprisingly well, which is really fun to see happen. -- Renee

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.