fibroids (stomach bigger on one side)

L

Liza

Hi everyone - just wanted to check in. Went to the doctor last night about these fibroid tumors and he said we just have to watch them, hopefully they will stay somewhat in check so they don't interfere with the growth of the baby. He said surgury to remove them while I am pregnant is the last option.
As far as exercise goes, I can do low impact until 22 weeks and from then on just walking, because of the fibroids, they can cause you to have pre-term labor and anything could stimulate that. I have to go for a level 2 sonogram in 3 weeks so hopefully all will be well. Thanks for all your thoughts through this!

Join the club!!

I also have fibroids - and big ones! They are very common indeed and shouldn't affect the baby - in fact they affect conception more than anything else - bon chance!

Your friend in fitness, Fitnik

RE: Join the club!!

Hi fitnik,

Its good to know I am not alone, what did your doctor tell you about exercise, and what program(s) do you do? Mine are big as well, some bigger than others, I think at 11 weeks if I did not have them I would have no belly!!!

One more member in the club!

I also have three large ones. My doctor hasn't said anything to me about modifying my exercise because of them. Curious to hear more!

Diana

RE: One more member in the club!

The only advice was to tone down my cardio - before getting pg, I was running 5 miles a day and doing tough intervals where my heart rate got as high as 185 bpm!! Other than that, just the usual guidelines eg talk test for cardio, don't over do the weights, lots of yoga/stretching, no abs flat on back after 3 months etc..

To be honest, I don't even think about the fibroids. I would still have my flat tummy though if they weren't there!!!

Please don't worry about them - they affect conception more than anything else.

Your friend in fitness, Fitnik

Fitnik, Diana,

Your doctors did not talk about pre-term labor? I live in a small town in NE PA and I think sometimes the doctors here don't really keep up as well as they should with new findings and such.
If you both have the same as me and your doctors are not worried, maybe this doctor is out of touch, but still when he was talking about all this and if I exercise too much after 22 weeks I could have the pre-term labor- it scared me!! How far along are you two? keep me posted on your progress and finding on this!! Thanks

Hi Liza,
I'm 18 weeks and while my doctors have done a fair amount of monitoring of the fibroids (before and during pregnancy), they haven't limited any of my activity because of them (just the usual guidelines that Fitnik posted--thanks!). They say there's a possibility I may deliver early, but not to worry about it. I'm pretty happy with the care I've been getting (I go to a big women's hospital in Boston), but I'm always interested in what others say about fibroids. But I think Fitnik is right -- don't worry about them! We have enough to worry about already! ;-)

Take care!
Diana

Hi,
I have three fibroids. One the size of a grapefruit, the others the size of oranges. I delivered two boys, both a week late and exercised throughout both pregnancies. Listen to your body!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.