Eclair~~~ how did it go?

Thanks for asking, Susan!

This is my first time online in awhile...

Well, Aaron was born on Saturday, May 4th at 3:10 pm. 7 lb. 4 oz. I spent 2 days receiving several drugs to induce, since they detected mild toxemia, and he was already full term. Finally, I dilated enough for the Dr. to break my water, and from that point on, the pain became very intense. The water was broken at 2:00, and for the next hour, the pain became so intense, Ididn't think I could ever make it to 10 cm alive! Well, the reason I was in such excruciating pain, was that I was, in fact, already 10 cm dilated 45 min. after the water was broken. I found myself involuntarily pushing the baby out, and when the Dr. checked me, he told me it was time!

6 pushes later, our baby entered our lives! (Strong muscles on mom!) He came out so quickly, that they had to keep him in ICU for 5 hours, just to monitor the fluid in his lungs. Now he's fine, and is already 7 lb. 7 oz.

I have lost 31 of the 36 lb. that I gained, and that's without trying! I think exercise during preg. has a lot do do with that, as well as breastfeeding.

Now my only complaint is the excruciating pain of breastfeeding. They've been cracked and bleeding, and after talking with many nurses and lactation consultants, I just have to get over the hump. But man, the pain is severe!!

Either way, I love being a mom, and this is by far the best thing that's ever happened to me or my husband! We count our blessings all the time.

Congratulations Eclair!!!

What wonderful news! I remember painful breastfeeding with my first child - when he would latch on it hurt so badly! But it did go away eventually...
Hope you have a wonderful first Mother's day with your new baby boy!!
Erica

That's wonderful news!

I'm so glad you're alright and really hope the breast-feeding eases soon. I've heard that it can be extremely painful.

((((hugs))))

Your friend in fitness, Fitnik

RE: That's wonderful news!

It took me three painful weeks and then it didn't hurt. If there is a local La Leche League where you live, you might look them up and give them a call if you'd like advice and support for breastfeeding. I nursed my daughter 2 years.

RE: That's wonderful news!

Thanks all...
I decided after a week of agony that neither of us were benefitting from breastfeeding. The stress was affecting both of us, so I am now bottle feeding, as of last night, and we are both much happier. I feel guilty that I quit so soon, but I just had to come to terms with the situation.

Now the breasts are engorged, but I'm trying to slowly hand express, and hope that this will help.

eclair, DO NOT beat yourself up over it!

I stopped breastfeeding after about 10 days when I gave birth to my daughter back in March due to similar reasons as the ones you stated (that and my milk supply was pretty pathetic). The biggest piece of advice I can pass on is to not let YOURSELF or ANYONE ELSE make you feel guilty about your decision to bottle feed. Formula is NOT poison, your baby will thrive just as well on formula as on breastmilk, and there is no reason to feel badly about choosing not to breastfeed. Spend the energy enjoying your new baby instead!

Congratulations on your new bundle of joy!

RE: eclair, DO NOT beat yourself up over it!

I really wanted to breastfeed my son and tried so hard. I stopped after two weeks. My nipples were cracked and bleeding and I was so stressed. My son wanted to eat every hour for an hour and he just never seemed to get enough. I was probably too tense because of the pain. I don't know! My son's doc REALLY wanted me to breastfeed and kind of made me feel bad that I stopped. I felt like telling him...well never mind. Stopping was a good decision for us and everything went much smoother afterwards. I think it is a decision for the individual and not one other person needs to make you feel bad about it either way!!!

Kelly http://www.sgtfuzzbubble99.homestead.com/files/Smilies/De_Niro/eeyore.gif

RE: eclair, DO NOT beat yourself up over it!

Thank you both for the supportive comments. I appreciate it, although I have my regrets. You are both right, and life is much easier since we made the transition.

Me too.....

Kelly, the same thing happened with me and Lauren. I wanted to breastfeed her *so* badly. She wanted to eat every hour for an hour, and I was just exhausted. She didn't seem to be getting much out of me. And when I tried to pump to see what I was producing, it took me 40 minutes to produce 1 ounce!! No wonder the kid was eating so often--she was ravenous! lol

Eclair, I know what you mean about regrets--I still see moms breastfeeding and feel a pang of regret. I wish I could have made it work--who knows, maybe I just needed to try harder/longer and it would have worked out fine--but I just didn't have it in me at that time to keep it up. I had to learn to forgive myself. And life certainly was a lot easier for both of us once we made the switch to bottles.

Anyway, just wanted to let you know you're not alone. I know when I was going through it it seemed like all I heard/saw was moms who were able to successfully breastfeed. And it didn't help that the formula feeding support boards at babycenter.com were littered with posts from breastfeeding moms telling us all that mothers who choose to formula feed are being selfish. So I wanted to offer my support so you'd know there are many of us out here who are formula feeding, and doing just fine. :)

RE: Me too.....

CONGRATULATIONS!!!!Wow, what a great delivery, I am very envious! So glad to hear you and that wonderful little guy are doing so well. Believe me, I still remember that toe curling pain of the first few weeks of breastfeeding, it does go away and soon (month or so) you will be talking on the phone, making supper and breastfeeding all at once. :)

Congratulations on little Aaron!

Enjoy every wonderful moment - they go by so fast! And I completely agree with the others. Don't let anyone make you feel bad about the breastfeeding. You do what's right for you and Aaron - that's what counts.

Take care!
Sandi

Congratulations on your birth! Don't worry about the breastfeeding part, the main thing is that you're *both* happy!

Cheers,
Liz N

Yea :)

Congratulations!! I just love the name, too :)

BFing can be a challenge in the beginning... I hope it all gets easy for you soon!

Hope I follow in your footsteps with the weight loss (37 lbs. total for me!). I'm all swollen from the fluid they pumped into me right now, so I've promised myself that I wouldn't step on the scale until that's over with...

Lots of hugs for you and your new little boy!
susan

Hi Eclair! A huge congratulations to you. Only 6 pushes, WOW! It is thrilling to read of all of our fit moms and fit moms-to-be enduring the many different challenges of their labor like true champs. So glad to hear that you are doing well and enjoying motherhood. IT IS SOOOOO WONDERFUL!!!!!! I hear you on the breastfeeding, YOWSA. I too had cracked and bleeding nipples. The first 30 seconds of every feeding (along with the uterine contractions) brought tears to my eyes and a painful tingle up my underarms and down into my feet. It finally got better two weeks later.

Best of luck to you and your family!

Im late with you as well but I wanted to say congratulations!! I am so happy for you! I hope you are feeling better now and just enjoying every minute with that sweet baby! I can't believe how fast you lost your weight :-wow That is so awesome and you are an inspiration!!

Alison

Thank you! We're doing well, and despite serious sleep deprivation, I feel ready to start exercising. We started walking at around 10 days postpartum, and it feels ok, but tends to make me bleed a bit more than I normally would. I also did small segments of power hour, but same problem, even with lighter weights. I'm so impatient to get my tummy back, but I think I have to take it a bit slower.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.