Cathe is keeping me fit w/baby!!

jeffsmom

Hi everyone. I just went in for my 12 week checkup and I have only gained 3 lbs!! That is very good for me. With my first (7 yrs ago) I gained a total of 70 lbs. This from a gal who taught aerobics and was always fit. I stopped exercising and ate whatever I wanted. Guess what? That didn't work. (I was 28, n ot old, but not young enough to think I could stop at Mac and Don's everyday.) Needless to say, my Jeff was a 9 lber. I wouldn't recommend that.

So, I have been able to keep working out although I was down to 3 days per week. I am back to a good energy level and am at 5 to 6 days again. I am watching what I eat but am not obsessing. I am ready for a good steady weight gain this time.

I just wanted to share this with you. I am pretty pleased and was worried that I would have to take all that weight off again at 36 yrs old! This has motivated me to keep on. I truly think it is the working out that is keeping things in line. Thanks Cathe!

I understand exactly what you mean! The aim here is not to get obsessed about weight, but to be really grateful for the improvement this time around, isn't it!

I also teach aerobics and gained 60 pounds last time. I think that my first tri gain this time was a lot similar to yours, thanks to saying no to junk food and continuing to teach aerobics.

I'm currently 26 weeks and I have gained 16.5 pounds as compared with last time at the same stage I had already gained 38 pounds, so I feel grateful and blessed for my better fortune this time.

I'm hoping that the road to getting back in shape will be a little faster than last time (took me 2 years!), but having already had a baby, I am content to be philosophical and not try and rush things too much.

Best of luck with your pregnancy,
Liz N
due 23rd Sep 2002

HELP! I wanna be JUST LIKE Y'ALL!

I started off at 226 pounds. At that point I had been doing FitPrime and Firm videos with 12 pound dumbells. Since being pregnant I've done NOTHING, and ONE MONTH I even gained TWELVE pounds! Do you have any advice for now beginning exercise at sixteen/seventeen weeks? My eating is finally WAY under control. THANKS! (((((HUGS))))) sandi

RE: HELP! I wanna be JUST LIKE Y'ALL!

Titus,

I just wanted to say, don't worry about what has happened in the past, but concentrate on making the next bit of your pregnancy as healthy as you can.

As for exercise, you should start slow (maybe some gentle walking or pool work) and not try to go beyond the level and intensity that you were working out at pre pregnancy. Treat the whole exercise thing as if you were a rank beginner and slowly (with emphasis on slow) increase your duration a little, so long as you feel good.

It's really important to feel good and comfortable whilst you're exercising!

Take care,
Liz N

Hi Jeffsmom! You are doing so great. There is no need to worry or obsess. Take it day by day with good intentions of eating as wisely as you can whenever you should/need to(and don't worry if at times you don't eat the better food choices) and working out when you feel up to it. You obviously do not have the same thinking as you did when you were 26 and you will be just fine. Good luck and keep in touch.

Hi Jeffsmom,

Good for you! I am 9 weeks pregnant with my fourth (!:)!) and have been trying to keep my fitness routine going as well. I haven't suffered too much with nausea but if I don't get my workout done first thing in the morning, I am just too tired to fit it in at the end of the day.

I want to ask you what kind of rotation/routine you are following. I have been trying to do lower body 3 x per week (Leaner Legs, S & H Legs/Shoulders, PH), 2 upper body (CTX, PH) but am falling short on the cardio (power-walking/light jog 4 km twice per week). I feel like I need more cardio, but need to find more time!

Just curious what kind of exercise you are doing. I gained 45 lbs with each of my 3 kids and want to avoid that this time. I'll be 38 when little one is born in January and would like to be in reasonable shape afterwards.

Thanks in advance!

Sandi

Hi Sandi, I just had my fifth baby 10 weeks ago. With the first four I gained 60 lbs every time. I did Cardio type aerobics with those births and just kept gaining the weight and getting more and more frustrated because it was so hard to breath. With this last pregnancy I did some FIRM aerobics that again became very tough cardio wise and then around 6 months pregnancy I started lifting, just slow, heavy lifting. Not only did I not gain the weight like the first four, but I gained muscle mass and felt great this time. I only gained 30 lbs. But on those alternating cardio days I felt like I could hardly keep going. We live on 44 acres and I would hike up a hill and feel out of breath. I won't say everyone is the same as I am, but I wonder if pregnancy and lots of cardio work just don't go together. Weight lifting seemed to be a breeze for me, but not cardio. I ended up doing lots of Francesca Gern weightlifting III tapes with heavy weights, kind of boring, but slow enough for a pregnant person and just the right amount of cardio, not too much. I too am 37 and didn't want to gain so much this time and weightlifting really seemed to be a key for me. Hope all goes well with this preg, and don't sweat those days when you can't seem to keep going.

Briee

Hi Sandi, I just had my fifth baby 10 weeks ago. With the first four I gained 60 lbs every time. I did Cardio type aerobics with those births and just kept gaining the weight and getting more and more frustrated because it was so hard to breath. With this last pregnancy I did some FIRM aerobics that again became very tough cardio wise and then around 6 months pregnancy I started lifting, just slow, heavy lifting. Not only did I not gain the weight like the first four, but I gained muscle mass and felt great this time. I only gained 30 lbs. But on those alternating cardio days I felt like I could hardly keep going. We live on 44 acres and I would hike up a hill and feel out of breath. I won't say everyone is the same as I am, but I wonder if pregnancy and lots of cardio work just don't go together. Weight lifting seemed to be a breeze for me, but not cardio. I ended up doing lots of Francesca Gern weightlifting III tapes with heavy weights, kind of boring, but slow enough for a pregnant person and just the right amount of cardio, not too much. I too am 37 and didn't want to gain so much this time and weightlifting really seemed to be a key for me. Hope all goes well with this preg, and don't sweat those days when you can't seem to keep going.

Briee

Briee

I am just checking this out again~*THANK YOU, BRIEE!* I have to admit, I don't enjoy cardio anyway and MAKE myself do it! I'd MUCH rather do weight work! I've made some great changes this month and hope the scale reflects it this month when I see my midwife. No more twelve pounds a month I hope! Thanks so very much for sharing with me! (((((HUGS))))) sandi

Hi Sandi: Sorry it took me so long to check this thread again.

I don't do a rotation of specific tapes although I do have a weight/cardio rotation I guess you could say. I heavy lift once per week, then do a weight/cardio combo (say circuit max) once per week and the rest is cardio for the remaining 3 or 4 days. Or, I work one body part (or two) heavy each day and fill in with cardio so it still equals each body part being hit heavy once per week and the rest cardio. I would love to lift more and I can crank some pretty heavy weights, but I do "bulk" a bit so I really try to concentrate on cardio and keeping my muscles tweaked a bit.

Here was last week since it is fresh in my mind (a little more weight work than usual):

S&H Legs and Shoulders
Cardio Kicks
S&S Bi's and Tri;s
Off
Circuit Max
Off
Body Max and threw in an extra chest and back segment because I didn't have time for S&H tape

This week (hopefully):

Step Heat
MIS
Cross Trainer (kick box probably) no weight segment
Off
Rythmic Step
Off
Firm weight/cardio combo or circuit max

So far I haven't had to alter my cardio but when I do, I think I will do a lot of the cross trainer cardio sections because they are a tad shorter and then use the muscle work too for my hour workout. Seems to work so far! Good luck.
Becky

Thank you Becky and Briee for your input. Like you, Briee, I have been doing more weights than cardio, but really feel the need to include more cardio.

I've decided that I'll probably do PH twice per week, Leaner Legs or S & H Legs/Shoulders once per week and the rest cardio. Becky, I was thinking about the CTX series for later on, too, when everything else gets a bit much.

Take care and thanks again :)

Sandi

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.