Caring for baby

Tammyspq

Cathlete
Does anyone have a suggestion for a good book about caring for babies? I'm mainly wondering about bathing, cleaning baby and cleaning baby toys (sanitizing), etc.

Thanks! jeni

Hi Jeni! I was sent home with a "hospital made" manual titled "Caring For Your Baby". It was very informative and I found it to be a handy reference for every situation that came up. You may want to check if perhaps your hospital put together such a manual.

I liked Penelope Leach's Your Baby and Child. It has much more in it than just baby care (addresses issues relevant up to age 5), but seems to be very comprehensive in the baby care area. I also think she takes a nice balanced approach to other issues that arise in parenthood.

Thanks for the quick replies! I'll make sure to ask at my medical practice. We're having a physician attended home birth and the head doctor has written three books on that topic so I'm sure they'll at least have something to recommend.

Hazel, I'll check out the book you suggested too!

jeni

I refer to What to Expect in the First Year and my American Association of Pediatrics guide all of the time...

... hee hee... I had to giggle a little, though... by the 2nd baby, you won't worry so much about cleaning toys :0) There's something about seeing your toddler chew on the shopping cart at walmart or pick up/eat a random goldfish cracker from the floor that ANOTHER kid dropped in a public place that makes you realize that kids have amazing immune systems.

How exciting that your baby is about to arrive!!

Susan

Susan,

I know you are so right. I also expect that I will only buy white socks rather than try to keep "cute" socks matched with outfits! I just realized that although I have six nieces and nephews and about 30 children amongst my friends, I still don't even know how to wash a baby! How often? Does it even matter? What about cleaning gums? Is that something I do or don't do? Will I care by baby #2?

So, I'm sure my first-time-mom freakishness will dissolve quite quickly! I'm just a planner and as i get closer to my due date, I think I'm starting to panic! Happy to hear any advice from those who have already been there...

Thanks!! jeni

This is how I washed my daughter after she was about a month old, before that I washed her in the kitchen sink. Even then I only put soap on her bottom and her hands, just rinsed the rest of her with water.

I would get in the shower, then call out to her Dad who would hand me naked-baby. I would hose her down under the shower, which she loved, soaping up the above flesh-bits, then rinse her and hand her back to her Dad who would dry her and dress her while I finished my shower. We did this until she was old enough to stand up holding onto my leg. Then she just took a shower with me until she was able to do it on her own, at around age 5.

Hair-washing happened once a week while a baby, using the kitchen sink, her lying on the counter and me supporting her head over the edge, using the little squirter-thing on the faucet.

When she was 2 or so and could keep her eyes close, she got her hair washed during her shower. Also some conditioner to help with the tangles.

What to expect the first year, and the book by the amercian academy of pediatrics are great choices. Oh, and if you think you won't care about cleaning toys by baby #2, I'm on baby number 3 and feel so much more laid back and relaxed. With number 1, I was truely the uptight mother. By baby number 2, I was still cautious but less uptight. Now, I am so much more relaxed.

Oh and as for socks, I laughed, number 1, everything had to be matching. This time, I just bought a bunch of white socks. Makes morning dressing and laundry so much easier!!

AS for washing, my pedicatrician and past experience says 2-3 times a week for a bath and clean their face/gential area more often. but don't do a tub bath until the umbilical cord falls off (and if a circumcised boy, that site heals as well). It all seems kind of scary and overwhelming at first, but I promise you in no time you will feel confident and handle your baby like a pro.

Good luck to you and I wish you a quick and healthy birth. My first baby was only 6 hours of labor start to finish so their are some good stories out there!!

Hi Jeni,
I have 2 book recommendations, being in the same situation as you - 1st child and feeling clueless! The books I have are Secrets of the Baby Whisperer by Tracy Hogg and The Baby Book by William and Martha Sears. Both address issues like bathing, care, feeding, teething, scheduling, etc. The Sears book advocates attachment parenting, which emphasizes "wearing" your baby, co-sleeping and breastfeeding, among other things. This book was a gift and has good information although I personally take some of it with a grain of salt. It all depends on your philosophy and I'm still developing mine.

The Baby Whisperer takes a similar approach, but seems to be a little more flexible in my opinion. There's so much conflicting information out there I think you just have to take it all in and then make your own decisions.

I also took a baby care/infant CPR class this past weekend (can you tell I'm panicking about having this little life in my hands?) at the hospital where I'm delivering (you don't have to deliver there to take the class though). I thought it was really useful and would recommend it to other nervous first time parents.

Take care,
Dana

You all have been so helpful. I have a doctor's visit this week and will be sure to ask my practitioner for insight as well. Looks like a trip to Barnes and Noble is in order! Mogambo - the shower idea appeals to me a lot. All this talk gets me so excited to actually have the little bundle to see how we do.

Actually, my mom is a pediatric nurse - you'd think I'd have thought to talk to her before now!!;)

Feel free to keep the ideas/tips/suggestions coming!

jeni

Of course it goes without saying that soapy babies in the shower are slippery. I never dropped my baby (Horror!) and I would hate it if you did. By limiting the soap to her bottom and hands and rinsing quickly she was not so slippery. I kept a very firm grip because I knew what was at stake. Be careful!

The shower method may appeal to you but not to your baby. My son is three and a half and still screams when he gets his hair washed in the tub. He will not hold his head back and cannot stand for water to flow over his face. The shower thing would have never worked for us but it is a great idea. So maybe if you start early your baby will like it. I bathed my in the sink for a long time and then went to our tub after that. They don't really get dirty at first so basically just keeping their face, hands and genital area clean is most important. I think I bathed my son every other day and washed his hair every other bath (he had a lot of hair). You'll find what works for you pretty quickly so don't worry too much.

Kelly http://www.sgtfuzzbubble99.homestead.com/files/Smilies/De_Niro/eeyore.gif

Isn't it funny how relaxed we become with baby #2. I remember going in public with baby #1 and having so much gear with me all the time. I packed the answer to every possible incident. One incident sticks out in my mind where my husband and I had our first little guy out with us (as an infant) while we were furniture shopping. He was getting really fussy and I was pulling all of these magical tricks out of my bag. When I reached for the pacifier and dropped it on the floor, I quickly reached in the bag and pulled another out. Just then an observing couple winked at us and said "First baby? Give it time, soon you'll pick that right up and pop it into your mouth for a quick cleaning". Well, I don't know if I'd do that but I certainly have gotten much more relaxed and my bag of tricks is down to the bare necessities.

As for bathing, when I had my first I was not aware of those very fine folds of skin that need to be pulled away for a good cleaning (ie: neck creases, arm pit creases, back of the knee creases) and was so embarrassed when I discovered them. They are areas that I still struggle to get into because infants seem to want to keep their bodies clenched up. I have the hardest time opening up my 4 month olds itty bitty fingers to wash his hands too.

I can't believe that the woman who makes us do crazy 8s and power scissors has a hard time opening up her baby's hand!! Hahah!!;) Good one, Cathe!

Speaking of Creases!

I tell everyone that my lil' angel granddaughter has "rubberband arms". Her creases are so deep right now,(babyfat!) that it looks like she has 4 rubberbands around each arm! Tee-Hee!!

Your-Friend-In-Fitness, DebbieH http://www.plaudersmilies.de/wavey.gif If You Get The Choice To Sit It Out Or Dance...I Hope You DANCE!!!

RE: Speaking of Creases!

Cathe, this is too funny. The reason I became so "concerned" about bathing is that when my husband and I baby-sat my then 6 month old niece, he was holding her and said she smelled of baby and some kind of "funk". I remembered my other sister in law talking about creases and sure enough, we separated the folds on her neck, wrists and ankles...ppphhheeewwww!!!!! We used water and a wash cloth to clean the spots. I could not BELIEVE what had accummulated in there!;)

To all of you - thanks for the stories and tips. I print them out and share with my husband. He is anal-retentive neat and I look forward to watching him lose control...!!!

Ah, but the first-time-mom nuttiness is part of the fun of it all... learning so much about yourself and your baby and your relationship together :)

I have a Fisher Price bath that I really like... it fits over the kitchen sink, and it keeps the baby's head elevated. The big things, I think, are to make sure you have everything handy before you start, to test the water on your wrist, and to have a video camera nearby so you can take great pictures... because after they are 6 or 8 weeks old, they start giving you these really awesome smiles, and they'll kick and splash in the water soon after that... SO much fun :)

I didn't wipe my older son's gums... I don't think it's necessary, but it might be helpful later... because when they're older and you try to introduce new things, they get these definite opinons on whether or not they'll cooperate. My older son would have nothing to do with me brushing his teeth until he was almost 2... and by then he had a mouthful. Luckily I could get him to chew on a toothbrush, so I'd just have him do that, and somehow his teeth survived intact LOL. Now at 2 1/2 he LOVES brushing his teeth.

So much of motherhood isn't a matter of right or wrong, but rather what will work for you and your family...

Just enjoy :)
Susan

Ah, but the first-time-mom nuttiness is part of the fun of it all... learning so much about yourself and your baby and your relationship together :)

I have a Fisher Price bath that I really like... it fits over the kitchen sink, and it keeps the baby's head elevated. The big things, I think, are to make sure you have everything handy before you start, to test the water on your wrist, and to have a video camera nearby so you can take great pictures... because after they are 6 or 8 weeks old, they start giving you these really awesome smiles, and they'll kick and splash in the water soon after that... SO much fun :)

I didn't wipe my older son's gums... I don't think it's necessary, but it might be helpful later... because when they're older and you try to introduce new things, they get these definite opinons on whether or not they'll cooperate. My older son would have nothing to do with me brushing his teeth until he was almost 2... and by then he had a mouthful. Luckily I could get him to chew on a toothbrush, so I'd just have him do that, and somehow his teeth survived intact LOL. Now at 2 1/2 he LOVES brushing his teeth.

So much of motherhood isn't a matter of right or wrong, but rather what will work for you and your family...

Just enjoy :)
Susan

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.