Breastfeeding

willowe

Cathlete
Hi All,
I am currently 51/2 months pregnant with my first and can't wait for his or her arrival in January next year!

I have been avidly reading up on and asking other women about breastfeeding to try and get as many different experiences as possible. I would really like to breastfeed my little one when they finally put in an appearance, and would be really grateful for anyone who can share their experiences with me.

I'd really like to get back in shape as quickly as possible after the birth (who doesn't?!). Does breastfeeding really help to shift the weight afterwards? Is it advisable to actively try to lose weight whilst breastfeeding (eating sensibly, of course)? Or should you wait until you've stopped breastfeeding?

Many women have told me that if you can get through the first 2 weeks, you've got it made - is this true? I've heard some real horror stories about cracked and bleeding nipples (shiver!).

Many thanks for any advice you can give!

Kaz.

Today Is The Tomorrow We Worried About Yesterday And All Is Well.

Hey Kaz! I'm actually awaiting the arrival of my first (due yesterday) but a neighbor friend of mine gave me the book "The Womanly Art of Breastfeeding". She is also a former La Leche League consultant. I too have friends who suffered with sore nipples, cracked, etc. and other's who had no problems. I plan to work with a consultant if I have problems 'cause I really want to do this for as long as possible.

I plan to eat really clean and focus my goal to lose pregnancy weight on the exercise end. I know the need to keep calories up for baby but I don't remember what how many more calories one needs to do that.

I applaud your decision and hope all goes well for you. Based on the experiences written by a lot of women on this site, I plan to give some thought to how I will handle it if breastfeeding is not enjoyable to me. Yet - my goal is to be formula free!

Keep us posted! jeni

Hi, Kaz. My new little daughter Kimberley (first child) will be 4 weeks old tomorrow and I have been breastfeeding her. I haven't had sore or bleeding nipples, but I've had other problems. From everything I've been told, cracked nipples result from a poor latch. Have your nurse or midwife make sure you know how to latch your baby properly and you shouldn't have problems in this area.

My milk flow isn't very good because my daughter seems to be sort of a lazy eater. Her weight gain has been very poor; she was born at 7 lbs 15.9 oz, dropped to 7 lbs 3.2 oz by the time we left the hospital, and is now just up to 7 lbs 9.5 oz. (They are supposed to regain their birth weight by two weeks after birth.) I've been going to a breastfeeding clinic 3X per week and they have helped me fix my technique -- it is much harder than I thought it would be!! Since that alone hasn't done the trick, they have put me on a couple of herbals (fenugreek and blessed thistle) to stimulate milk production. Yesterday they also started me on pumping my breasts after every second feeding (the pumping is really kind of gross). Then I have to feed the tiny amount I pump back to her from a little cup. It's frustrating and I feel as if I am breastfeeding all the time -- sometimes every two hours for over an hour each session. The nurses at the breastfeeding clinic have told me that by Thursday this week, I should expect to see better milk production.

The books all say that you need 500 extra calories per day to support nursing. I am not sure how much I am eating, but I am eating whatever I want, whenever I want, for hunger. I don't always get to eat because if she is wailing, I attend to her first. Anyway, on August 12 (two days before she was born), I weighed 182 lbs. The day after I got out of the hospital, I weighed 171 lbs. Last Sunday, Sept. 8, I weighed 162 lbs. My pre-pregnancy weight fluctuated between 135-140 lbs. So anyway, at 4 weeks, I've lost almost half of the approx. 40 lbs I put on, and I haven't really started watching what I eat yet. I'd say my diet isn't bad; I try to get lots of dairy, fruit, vegetables and grains; but I am also eating things like chicken wings, more pizza than I normally would, chocolate cookies and ice cream. I'm probably eating 2500+ calories most days.

From what I've read, it's safe to reduce down to about 1800 calories per day while breastfeeding, but you shouldn't go any lower.

Hope this helps.

Stebby

Hi Kaz,
I am breastfeeding my fourth child (she is 4 weeks) and she has been my easiest to nurse so far. My first was definitely my most difficult, but he was born almost 12 years ago and I think there was more conflicting breastfeeding information then.
Anyway, I agree with Stebby that cracked and bleeding nipples are usually the result of the baby not latching on correctly. You need to make sure that the baby opens his/her mouth wide and takes in not only the nipple, but also the surrounding areola. If this doesn't happen, break the suction from the baby's mouth with your finger and have him/her latch on again. This will help prevent problems with your nipples and also will stimulate more milk ducts. My nipples still get tender and even get slightly cracked at first, but nothing terrible.
As far as calories, I have also heard that you need an extra 500 for milk production - maybe even more when the baby gets bigger. I'm sure that you could lose weight sensibly while breastfeeding - I believe that Weight Watchers even adjusts their program for nursing mothers so that they consume additional calories, but still lose weight. Another mom on this forum has said that she did too much cardio at first and that affected her milk supply, so that is something else to consider as well.
I've been very lucky and have been able to breastfeed my kids with very few problems (even my twins). My best advice would be to nurse very often at first to establish a good milk supply and let the baby stay at the breast for as long as they want. If there is a local La Leche League around I would really recommend contacting them - or if you have a friend or relative that breastfed successfully you could ask her for help/advice.
Good luck with the rest of your pregnancy - enjoy it, it's such a special time!!
Hope this made sense - I'm really sleep-deprived right now.
Erica

I breastfed my one and only for 2 years. She was also born in January, so I can assure you that this timing produces the cutest babies :) Anyway, I recommend the La Leche League. The book Womanly Art etc. was helpful. I had sore nipples for two weeks, it was very painful, but eventually I barely noticed she was there.
I let her nurse anytime she wanted. I was careful not to eat too much, just eating about like I did when I was pregnant, only I had one cup of coffee a day while pregnant and nothing after noon while nursing so as not to keep her awake.
I lost all my pregnancy weight in about 2 months, started working out a bit after 6 weeks. Baby got milk only, no solid food, until 6 months and she was one fat baby! I almost wanted to tell people she was adopted (just kidding).
It was so healthy for her, so convenient and inexpensive for me. I think it probably did help me lose weight, but I can't be sure. I spent a lot of time holding her, bonding etc. I hope it works out for you.

I don't know if I should put "dairy animal" on my resume?

I have two boys and one on the way, and I've been nursing for five years straight come October! I also exclusively nurse as long as I can~with my first it was ten months, with my second maybe seven. (Every child is so different!) What helped me the most was going to La Leche League meetings at the same stage during my first pregnancy that you are in now. Even if you didn't agree with EVERYTHING, their breastfeeding advice is top of the line! Find out today when the next meeting is and plan to begin attending! (They are once a month here.) I had no problems at all breastfeeding, and I attribute it all to learning so much before baby even arrived.

Cracked nipples can certainly come from improper latch on, but this is usually due to improper positioning of the baby. The baby should be belly to belly with you and perfectly horizontal. As for weight, ah! I'm NOT the one to ask! I've had a difficult time, but I'm sure it's due to my own overeating. I am a cow though and make LOTS of milk! LOL! (((((HUGS))))) sandi

I too had problems with my first one, but with my second child the breastfeeding has worked great (she is now 6 1/2 months). Breastfeeding sure has a learning curve, which could explain why so many has found breastfeeding their second much easier.
Here are my best suggestions:

- Let the baby nurse a lot in the beginning, it can easily be 10-15 times a day.

- Be patient. Let the baby feed for as long as he/she wants. Sometimes I'd be feeding her for an hour in the beginning. If she stops just wait her out for a while and try again.

- The right feeding technique is crucial, have a midwife show you if you are unsure. The baby should have a firm grip of the surrounding "nipple area" (don't know the english word for it), not just your nipple. If your nipple hurts, the technique is wrong.

Good luck!
Johanna

Congratulations on your upcoming arrival! I bet you are getting so excited. I just had my second baby, he is 2 months old and nursing great. I breastfed my first child for a full year, he weaned himself shortly after I got pregnant with my second. I would have to say that breastfeeding is a learned art. It is not as easy for some as for others. Some babies seem to be natural nursers and some do not. But almost ALL can be taught. Don't let anyone try to tell you otherwise. I would have to disagree with your friend and say it is more like 4-6 weeks before things start clicking for a lot of breasfeeding moms. But I have heard many people say over and over to take breastfeeding one day at a time. Some days you will feel like ALL you have done that day is breasfeed. And that is ok. That is the most important thing for you and your baby to be doing that first month, so don't worry if other things just don't get done. Breastfeeding is not supposed to hurt, so if you are having pain (besides a little tenderness from sore nippes) get help immediately. The longer you put off nipple problems the worse they can get. With my first we both got thrush (a yucky yeast infection) and I ended up with a cracked, bleeding nipple. It hurt so bad to nurse on that side that I favored the other side and ended up with clogged ducts which led to mastitis. If I would have been more vigilant about watching for problems, I could have avoided that whole ordeal. But I will tell you it took DETERMINATION not to quit that first four weeks. At times my husband thought I was losing it and even suggested we start supplementing. But I stood strong and I am sooo glad that I did. There is an indescribable feeling of joy, pride and satisfaction in knowing that you solely nourished your chubby little baby. Obviously you can tell this is an important subject to me, but I hope I didn't ramble on too terribly much. I wish you the very best with your little one. Heather

Congratulations on your upcoming arrival! I bet you are getting so excited. I just had my second baby, he is 2 months old and nursing great. I breastfed my first child for a full year, he weaned himself shortly after I got pregnant with my second. I would have to say that breastfeeding is a learned art. It is not as easy for some as for others. Some babies seem to be natural nursers and some do not. But almost ALL can be taught. Don't let anyone try to tell you otherwise. I would have to disagree with your friend and say it is more like 4-6 weeks before things start clicking for a lot of breasfeeding moms. But I have heard many people say over and over to take breastfeeding one day at a time. Some days you will feel like ALL you have done that day is breasfeed. And that is ok. That is the most important thing for you and your baby to be doing that first month, so don't worry if other things just don't get done. Breastfeeding is not supposed to hurt, so if you are having pain (besides a little tenderness from sore nippes) get help immediately. The longer you put off nipple problems the worse they can get. With my first we both got thrush (a yucky yeast infection) and I ended up with a cracked, bleeding nipple. It hurt so bad to nurse on that side that I favored the other side and ended up with clogged ducts which led to mastitis. If I would have been more vigilant about watching for problems, I could have avoided that whole ordeal. But I will tell you it took DETERMINATION not to quit that first four weeks. At times my husband thought I was losing it and even suggested we start supplementing. But I stood strong and I am sooo glad that I did. There is an indescribable feeling of joy, pride and satisfaction in knowing that you solely nourished your chubby little baby. Obviously you can tell this is an important subject to me, but I hope I didn't ramble on too terribly much. I wish you the very best with your little one. Heather

I've had good experiences with BFing both of my boys.

I had some pain and cracked nipples initially both times... but I found that if I allowed my nipples to dry each time, used Lansinoh or another lanolin product on my nipples, and concentrated on getting my little one to latch on properly (whole areola... not just the nipple), then the pain subsided in a few days.

With exercise and nursing I lost 43 pregnancy pounds in 4 mos. with #1... and 38 pregnancy pounds in 3 mos. with #2... I did not diet, but I was consistent with at least an hour of combined cardio and resistance exercise (usually more)4-6 times a week. I do have to say, however, that both times I kept a bit of the nursing mom look until you are done nursing... that is, I have a softer look in my arms, and (of course) I have a pretty huge set of mams :)

All nursing experiences are different, and for some it really can be a struggle for a few weeks or even months... but there are great support groups at hospitals and through the LaLeche League out there if you need them, and other moms who've been there can be the best support.

My best advice would be to nurse almost constantly for the first few days... or at least as often as your baby asks to... and then feed on demand for the first few weeks. Don't worry about getting on a schedule until later. That will get your milk supply up and running. This time around, I had a nurse who was dying to give my baby a pacifier right off the bat and tried to tell me that I should not be feeding so much because the baby would get used to it (and she meant well -- she wanted me to get some rest!). I smiled and said "no thank you." It took 3 or 4 days for my milk to come in the first time... but only a day this time around. He does take a paci, now, btw...so it's not even that I'm against them... but nursing does stimulate milk production.
susan

RE: Oh... and drink lots of fluids, too! nt

Hi All,
Thanks so much for all your advice. It's nice to hear so many positive experiences regarding breast-feeding! Susan, you cracked me up with your comments about your "huge mams"!! My first laugh out loud of the day! Congratulations on your weightloss - very reassuring from my point of view as I think I will have about 4 stones (sorry, talking UK-ish again!), that is 56 lbs, to lose after the baby comes (if not more!!)

Thanks again for all the advice!!
Kaz.

Hi Kaz,

Just posting this message to let you know of my breastfeeding experiences. I breastfed all of my 3 children up until they were 12 months old.
My first baby knew I was inexperienced, and demanded lots of attention all the time, and lots of breastfeeds too ! However, the only bad experience I had was in hospital on day 3, my breasts became so big I couldn't latch her on (the nipples sort of flatten out). It was so disheartening, especially when I had been feeding her so well. Fortunately, I had a sympathetic midwife who got me to try nipple shields, which I used for a week until my breasts settled down. After that it was fantastic, I have to say breastfeeding may seem very time consuming (visit the library alot, and enjoy some good books while sitting and feeding) in the early days but baby soon falls into a pattern by about 3 months old.
A few pointers, drinking caffeine drinks can make the baby a bit sicky and windy (coffee can give baby very smelly wind), switch to decaff tea and coffee. And a few checks to make sure baby is latched on properly, their cheeks should not be sucking in as they feed and the ear facing you tends to move up and down very slightly (if they are not latched on properly it doesn't move), and when baby is latched on properly, their open mouth has the same shape as a baby bird's when they are crying for food.
I was told by other mum's who had breastfed that you must give it 10 days before quitting.
However, once you get the hang of it, it will become like second nature, and it gets easier the more children you have.
If you get a swollen milk duct, just massage it, with your fingertip, towards the nipple, and that can help to alleviate the tight feeling.
And when the breasts are really huge and swollen, there is nothing nicer than lying in the bath with a hot flannel draped over them....bliss !
I'm not sure if breastfeeding helped with weight loss ? While breastfeeding you still have that rounded appearance, and it wasn't until I stopped feeding, my shoulders lost that rounded look, it is hard to explain. Before cutting down on calories while breastfeeding, I always waited until the baby was 4-5 months old, when breastfeeding was well and truly established and baby was weaning successfully, but always check with your health visitor. And then I was still eating around 1900 calories, and I didn't gain weight. I always found it hard though to eat the extra 500 calories a day because my appetite always seemed to be quite low after giving birth. My Health Visitor told me to eat normally and supplement with a Mars bar, which is what I did quite often, not very healthy though. So, I guess, breastfeeding helped after I stopped feeding the baby, my shape became more defined. It is supposed to be very good for getting the womb back into shape, as the suckling action strengthens the muscle surrounding the womb.
Breast feeding will make you quite thirsty, so always sit down to feed with a glass of water.
And the other thing is in the early days, try and keep very calm when attempting to latch baby onto the breast, because the chances are you may have to try an latch baby on a couple of times, and the more stressed you become, the more upset baby will come.
When baby is about 6 months old, your breasts will be so in tune with your baby (it is very weird) that they will leak just as baby is about to wake up in the morning. Very odd - it is like having psychic breasts !
Can I just ask, Kaz, are you reading up on the actual labour ? Please can I recommend a good book, it is called 'Labour Pain' by Nicky Wesson. I read it while pregnant with my second child, and my god it was such a big help. It is only a small paperback book, but it is written by a lady who has had 5 children.
I had Backache labour with my first child, and it was unbelievably horrible, I could not cope with the labour, I ended up having an epidural, and a forceps delivery. Please read up on Back ache labour, because it isn't like a normal labour....by reading up on it, it will teach various things you can do in labour to alleviate the pain. Backache labour is chronic back pain, and the contractions are all in the back, whereas normal labour pains are at the front, like period pains. Anyway, this book helped me focus on the pain, and made me realise it isn't a bad pain, it is a good pain, and it doesn't last for long. When I was pregnant with my first, I didn't even know backache labour existed ?
Fortunately, I didn't have backache labour with my second and third baby, thank goodness.
Breastfeeding is brill, and think of all the money you will save, because it is free !!!!!
The nipples can get sore but the midwives recommend a certain cream to rub on after each feed, ask your midwife about it and pack it in your hospital bag. They crack because the constant suckling dries the poor nipples out (and the nipples aren't use to it), and if not treated will bleed, and it is usually a sign that baby is not latched on properly, too. I got it a little bit with my first baby, but didn't suffer at all with my second and third baby.
Another good thing to buy in for post-birth is some tea tree oil and lavender oil, excellent to put in 2 drops of each in a warm shallow bath for stitches. Be careful not to get the oils on your breasts if breastfeeding, and don't use tea tree oil on baby until they are at least 2 years old.

Oh my, I have written a book, I could talk for hours on breastfeeding !!!!!!

Hope this was some help if you haven't fallen asleep during the reading of this message !

Anna

Sorry, just read through my posted message, and forgot to mention that when you get a swollen, sore milk gland, massage it while baby is feeding.

Many thanks

Anna

Hi Anna,
Thanks so much for your great advice!! Please don't ever apologise because you think you are writing too much - from my point of view you can never have too much information!! This is all such a new experience - I constantly alternate between great excitement at the thought of having this baby and being absolutely terrified that I will not be able to cope/be a bad mum, etc.
I will certainly check out the book you recommended - I take it is available from the UK? I have heard of back-labour, but didn't realise how different it was from "normal" labour.
Thanks for the tip regarding caffeine - I will definitely avoid this - I have enough trouble coping with my hubby's "windy bum" without adding baby's too!! LOL!
I will definitely be using essential oils with baby (and myself!) - I am actually a qualified Aromatherapy & Reflexology practitioner, so have my store of suitable oils and massage techniques at the ready!!
The reason I have an interest in the weightloss aspect of breastfeeding is that hubby and I would like to try for another baby relatively soon after this one (I will be nearly 32 when this baby arrives) and would like to get back to a reasonably healthy weight and body state before we try (I'm not just being vain, honest!!)
Anyway, thanks again for all your invaluable advice!
Kaz.

Hi Kaz,
Just had a look on Amazon.co.uk, and it is listed but it seems it is of a limited availability, but they can get hold of it from another book retailer for £6.50p-ish. There is the American version called 'Labor Pain', but I can't say whether it is the same as the UK version. I actually read a copy from my local library, so it is worth enquiring there. I really do recommend it.
Wow - it is brilliant that you are an Aromatherapy/Reflexology Therapist. I am a qualified Beauty Therapist, I did it at HND level, but we got trained in basic Relexology, and just Aromatherapy massage at college. However, when my youngest is at school, I am going to pursue it further, get myself back into the education mode-thing. I actually used lavender oil during my second and third labours, because it helps to strengthen the contractions, and to keep me relaxed, and I have to say it worked, didn't even need gas and air, did both labours on lavender, and I only popped it on my hospital gown ! I was too wary about using the oils directly on my skin during labour.
Are you going to try the Raspberry Leaf capsules, a month before your due date ? Ask your midwife about these, this also helps strengthen your womb (great for period pains too). I did for my second and third pregnancies.
Another thing, in the early days, it is important to eat plenty of fibre, it can take the bowels a while to get back to normal.
I was still breastfeeding my second child (Jack) when I fell pregnant with my third and I fed Jack until he was 11 months, and he just wouldn't latch on, and I wondered if this was because I had reached the fifth month of my pregnancy, and I had read in a Pregnancy magazine that if you are breastfeeding while pregnant, the breast milk goes off and tastes nasty when you reach the 4-5 month mark of the pregnancy, so I woften wonder if this is what happenned ? However, after I had baby no 3, I mentioned this to the Midwife that discharged me at the hospital, and she had never heard of that, and said she would look into it. So, it might be worth asking your Midwife if she has also heard about this.
I lost quite a bit of weight after I had Jack, so I wasn't TOO BAD weight wise, but while breastfeeding and being pregnant, my bust shrunk an awful lot, only to bounce back again after I stopped feeding. They grow at a terrific rate in the last 10 weeks of pregnancy !
Hope this was some help
anna

By the way, you'll be fine, every Mum to be worries about whether she will cope or not - just remember, we are not born knowing how to be Mum's, but we learn through experience. That is why subsequent babies are so much easier because you have already done it once !

Anna

Anna,

Thanks for the words of support!! So, your boobs grow in the last 10 weeks, eh? Uh oh!! Mine have already gone up 2 cup sizes (and I wasn't small busted to begin with!), so they may well be blotting out the sun by the time I'm ready to deliver! I'm sure everyone will know which kids are mine because they'll have stretch marks 'round their mouths! He he! At least they (hopefully) wont go hungry! Ah well, my Hubby is in "boob heaven" at least!!

Kaz.

Hello Kaz!

Join your local NCT class - a great source of info on all things maternal and great for social events etc... They have specially trained BF counsellors and everything - very useful.

I'm nearly 8 months along now and can't wait for the arrival of my son - mail me when you can.

XXXX

Your friend in fitness, Fitnik

RE: Hello Kaz!

Hi Fitnik,

I sent you an email a few days ago but haven't heard anything - was just a bit concerned that you are ok or that your email address has changed?

Hope to hear from you!

Kaz XX

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.