Body fat

munchikin

Hi everyone,

I'm just curious to know if it's possible to lose extra body fat by exercising while you're pregnant. I have just about 15 lbs of body fat I'd like to lose but just found out I'm about 4 weeks pregnant... If I keep exerciging, does it contribute to lose these extra lbs I want to get rid of? Or it'd be almost impossible since my body now naturally trying to gain weight?

It's probably not possible. Your body is going to do everything it can to hold on to body fat and you may find that exercise doesn't work the same way it does when you're not pregnant. This certainly happened for me -- I put on a pound per week during my pregnancy, regardless of how much I exercised, and it seemed to me that the amount of fat I put on was way more than I normally would have eating what I was eating. Keep exercising -- it will help after your baby is born because you'll snap back faster!

It sounds from your recent posts as if you are really concerned about weight gain. This is understandable, but you'll probably be happier in the long run if you don't try to lose that 15 lbs now, but instead, try to eat healthily and keep your total weight gain within the 25-35 lb recommended range.

RE: Agree with Stebby

I wholeheartedly agree with Stebby on this one.

Try not to panic about gaining weight, it's about the worst thing you can do while you are pregnant. Instead, focus on taking care of yourself and exercising and eating to feel good, rather than to stay thin.

I was really hung up about the weight thing with my first pregnancy and really ended up overdoing everything (I gained close to 60 pounds)....HOWEVER..I was 10 pounds lighter going into this pregnancy and by focusing more on taking good care of myself and not worrying about gaining weight, I have gained 25 pounds this time (I deliver on MOnday).

I would be lying if I said that when I found out I was pregnant, I wasn't concerned about gaining weight - however taking a different approach by being accepting and moderate about everything has really paid off for me. I just wish somebody had told me this first time around.

Good luck with your pregnancy
Liz N

Try not to panic about gaining weight, it's about the worst thing you can do while you are pregnant. Instead, focus on taking care of yourself and exercising and eating to feel good, rather than to stay thin.

I was really hung up about the weight thing with my first pregnancy and really ended up overdoing everything (I gained close to 60 pounds)....HOWEVER..I was 10 pounds lighter going into this pregnancy and by focusing more on taking good care of myself and not worrying about gaining weight, I have gained 25 pounds this time (I deliver on MOnday).

I would be lying if I said that when I found out I was pregnant, I wasn't concerned about gaining weight - however taking a different approach by being accepting and moderate about everything has really paid off for me. I just wish somebody had told me this first time around.

Liz N

Liz N

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.