bbt charting; can you help me?

jeanmarie

Cathlete
Hi! I'm new to this, and have a couple of questions!!

I usually wake up at different times throughout the week; anywhere between 5 and 6:30, (sometimes I make a fast potty break), drift in and out of light sleep or just rest until @ 6:30/6:45am; then i get out of bed and start my day;(i wish i'd SLEEP until 6:45, but that doesn't normally happen.)

When exactly should I be taking my temp? - immediately when i wake?(If so, that could be 5 one day, 6:30 the next...) I am wondering if my restless sleep will be a problem for me to get accurate charts...

anyone else have the same problem?

thanks for anyone who can help!

A great website to go is fertilityfriend.com
You do need to take your temp. at the same time everyday you wake before moving or getting out of bed for your chart to be more accurate. You could take your temp at 5am then go back to sleep, but the impt. thing is to take your temp. at the same time and try not to get out of bed when doing it. Check out the website and it will give you good info. to get you started. Good luck!

Lisa

When I was charting, I almost always awoke around 3 am to go to the bathroom. Went back to sleep and awoke around 6:30. I took my temp. at 6:30 each day I did get an accurate pattern.

Agree with pp. I used fertilityfriend (you don't have to pay anything for the basic service, but I found the membership was awesome...great forums with great advice) and set my alarm for 5 every morning. I had my thermometer on the bedstand and just reached my arm out, didn't even roll over, took the temp and went back to sleep. Good luck. (It worked for me!)

Oh, and fertility friend also has a free daily course to tell you how to interpret your chart.

Becky

In physiology class we were taught that the temp needs to be taken first thing in AM BEFORE even getting out of bed.

Do you have a basal thermometer? I got a digital one to 0.01 degrees with a memory (so I didn't have to write down right away)....

I like pee sticks better...just couldnt' get into temping....it is neat though to get to know your body....

I recently started charting and was wondering what is considered average normal temps....The example charts in Taking Charge of Your Fertility indicate higher temps post- ovulation and menstruation, then slightly lower. I started charting day 2 of my period and have consistently been low 97 (between 97.1 to 97.4)....waiting for increase to determine if I ovulated.
Thoughts? As always, any input is greatly appreciated....starting to get frustrated with all of this stuff ;-)

Reena,
I just started charting my temps too and they have ranged from 97.0-97.3. I have no clue what's normal but I assume that each woman has their own "normal" range. Even though I'm on day 23 of my cycle I pretty much am CERTAIN that I didn't ovulate...no temperature shift yet.

Hi Bethany,

Thanks for responding...same for me too...I am on day 19 and usually go about 32 days or so...so I should be ovulating now and am getting panicky because I haven't had a temperature spike yet but ...I could be late this month and that could explain it but the whole charting thing is kind of nerve-racking.....my husband keeps telling me to "put down the book" already (the TTOYF book :) lol

Reena and Becky,

I have to second your opinion - this charting stuff is nerve-racking!! My OB insisted I do this for 3 cycles, to get a better determination if I'm REALLY ovulating... (OPK tests are always positive, have FM, but i guess he is 'covering all the bases'...?)

I think the most important thing is to see at least a .5 shift in temperature, which (hopefully) indicates that you did ovulate (temp goes up after ovulation...)this is all new to me...

thanks for the info about fertilityfriend!!

Jeannine

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.