Another birth announcement!!

E

ebh87

Hi everyone,
Kelly Margaret was born by C-Section on August 13th - 7 lbs. 10 oz. and 21 inches long. The C-Section went really well and I had very little pain and am happy with my recovery. Unfortunately, Kelly has her days and nights mixed up completely and sleeps all day and is up all night - I feel like a total zombie right now!! Hopefully, we will straighten things out soon!!
I feel really lucky that I was able to stay fit throughout my pregnancy and owe most of that to this forum - it is such a wonderful resource for information and a great place for support.
If anyone has any advice/experience regarding exercising after a C-Section, I would really appreciate it!
Erica

Another beautiful name!

Aren't you just in love, though? You feel like it'll never happen, but they really do figure out that dark means sleep...

("daaaark... sleeeeeep... daaaaark... sleeeeep!" That'll be your mantra LOL)

Definitely take it easy w/ the c-section for a few weeks... it took the whole 6 weeks of recovery for mine to feel anywhere near normal... now at 3 mos., I'm a whole new woman. There are only one or two things on one of my pilates videos that feel a little funny... and nothing hurts.

Congratulations...

Hi Erica,

Congratulations on the birth of little Kelly. I love the name. You will bounce back from your C-section much more quickly because you exercised. Just remember that a C-section is still abdominal surgery and you will need to progress slowly from one stage of recovery to the next. Above all, do not do anything that causes pain. You have 2 incisions to heal, the uterine one and the abdominal one. It is a well-known fact that individuals who exercise recover from major surgery quicker that their sedentary counterparts. This is very true for the “C-Section mom” like you who has exercised through her pregnancy. Improved circulation as a result of exercise will help the incision heal more quickly. Strong leg and buttocks muscles will reduce stress on the incision when rising from a seated or reclining position as well.

Make sure that you pay attention to your posture. Women who have had a C-section may tend to walk in the "guarded" posture position. Sometimes this posture may become semi-permanent if mom in unaware that she is assuming the posture. It is also exacerbated by baby care because all of that is in a "bent over" type posture.

Make sure that you are doing your abdominal breathing and your kegels.

Take care and keep us informed regarding your recovery.

Sheila

Sheila S. Watkins, MLSci.
Founder and National Program Director
Healthy Moms(R) Fitness
www.healthymomsfitness.com

Erica,
I am so HAPPY for you!! Glad to hear things went well. Hope Kelly starts sleeping good soon. I bet the boys are just so in love with her!!! Take care.

Lisa

Hi Erica!

CONGRATULATIONS!!!! You sounded so good when I talked to you. I am so happy that your recovery is going so well. I can't agree with you more about this place being partially responsible for your progress, but YOU are the one who did all the hard work throughout your pregnancy. You always amazed me at what one can do while pregnant! This is coming from one who spent 9 months on the couch or in the bathroom with both pregnancies! :-( I am just tickled you got a lil' girl this time around and I know the boys are going to spoil her rotten! Hope Kelly gets her days and nights switched around real soon. Keep us posted. Can't wait to see her!!!

Your-Friend-In-Fitness, DebbieH http://www.plaudersmilies.de/wavey.gif If You Get The Choice To Sit It Out Or Dance...I Hope You DANCE!!!

Another congratulations on the birth of Kelly! I am sure you will get Kelly on the right schedule soon!

Take care,
Joyce

Congratulations on your baby girl and smooth delivery! So glad to hear that you ladies with c-sections are doing so well. With the workout schedule you had during pregnancy, I'm sure you'll be putting us all to shame again in no time. Hopefully you (along with the rest of the wonder women on this forum) will inspire me post partum!!

Take care,
Dana

Congratulations!! I remember that zombie like feeling VERY well. In the grand scheme of things though, it doesn't last that long. Enjoy cuddling with your precious new baby. This time goes by so so fast.

I've had 2 c-sections, the last birth being the most recent. Personally, I waited the full 6 weeks before doing ANY ab work. I would just start out very slowly with cardio and progress from there. Usually about the 4th week is when I'd really start to want to exercise. Since you were able to exercise throughout your pregnancy, I'm sure you will bounce back in no time flat! :D

Got any pictures to share?

http://www.fitmomsonline.com/allisig1-2.jpg
Mommy to Zachary, Jillian and 5 month old Katie​

Congratulations on Kelly Margaret - what a great name! Hopefully she'll get her clock turned around quickly and you can get some sleep :)

All the best and take care!
Sandi

Hi Erica! Congratulations and welcome to Zombie land;-)! I'm so excited for you. Sweet greetings to little Kelly Margaret, how cute. You sound like you had a comfortable delivery, good for you. Hugs to you and your little peach. Best wishes to your family! Take Care!

Congratulations, Erica!! Isn't it funny how you, me and Hazel had our babies on the 13th, 14th and 15th -- couldn't be much closer together than that!!

I can tell you what I am doing for exercise. A few months ago, as part of my continuing education to maintain my fitness instructor certification, I took a course on exercise for prenatal and postpartum women. I am now following the program and tolerating it well.

Every day:
- 15-20 minute walk (whatever I can tolerate) -- planning to change that to two 15 minute walks per day in the next day or two
- pelvic tilts: lying on back, knees bent, exhale, tilt pelvis, press lower back into floor, draw abs in, hold 5 seconds, release; do this 10 times
- modified curl-ups: lying on back, knees bent, exhale, tilt pelvis, press lower back into floor, draw abs in, reach toward left knee with right hand, only head and upper shoulders come off flor; repeat reaching toward right knee with left hand; repeat both hands together reaching toward both knees together, release; do all 3 variations 10 times
- straight leg raise: lying on back, knees bent, exhale, tilt pelvis, extend one leg, lift 12 inches, slowly lower, bend leg and place foot on floor, release; repeat on other side; do both variations 10 times
- side reaches: sitting on chair or standing (if the sitting position is easy, try standing), tighten core muscles, body straight up and down, reach right arm down the right side, come back up to centre, repeat on left side; do both variations 10 times

I am also doing 20 non-weighted squats every day.

Note: My doctor told me to do all the walking I can handle. She said this was the most important exercise.

Hope this helps. And again, congratulations!

Oh, I should mention ... the above exercise program is supposed to be started at 1-2 weeks post C-section -- not before. Until one feels ready, one is supposed to do Kegels, lying pelvic tilts, lying "pulling in" of the abdominal muscles, and bridges (pelvic tilt, raise hips, tighten buttocks and abs).

Thanks everyone!!

Thanks for the congratulations and advice concerning getting back to exercise - I really appreciate it!
Stebby -you sound like you are doing great! I am hoping to start walking today if the weather cooperates. I've still been kind of sore up until now - I think I have been doing too much since getting home from the hospital. I am going to print out the exercises that you described - thanks!
Erica

Congratulations, Erica! I'm so glad everything went well -- I know you were nervous about the timing and the C-section. Hope you're enjoying that precious little girl. How are her big brothers doing with the new arrival?

Can't wait to see what type of workouts you'll be doing post-partum -- I'm going to need the inspiration!

RE: Thanks everyone!!

Belated congrats - I rarely visit the Fitmoms forum. Now you have another female in the house! Watch out for the Barbie invasion, soon to come to your residence in about 4 years.

Congratulations on your new baby girl. Good luck with your recovery and reversing Kelly's sleep pattern. I'm sure you will be back to your fit self soon! Babies are such a blessing. Enjoy her.
(the other) Erika

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.