To all those aerobic instructors out there...

LizN

Cathlete
Hello all,

Just a few questions for anyone that has remained teaching during their pregnancies...

I teach BodyPump (like Cathe) and am wondering how you cope with the small breaks during the chest track where you have to get up for usually 4x8 counts and have stretch/reset/recovery, as you progress thru your pregnancy. I'm currently 25 weeks and finding the getting up part harder :( I usually rest the barbell on my shin and let gravity work its magic, but wondered if there was a different way...

Second question - has anyone done their own fetal monitoring as outlined by Dr Clapp in his book. He mentioned that you could learn to monitor the baby's HR - was wondering how I could do it as I'm still teaching Bodystep and at some points I go anaerobic, but I'm extremely quick to bring the intensity back down - just want to make sure that I'm not harming the baby by teaching so intensely (I've taught fairly much at the same level since finding out...).

Any feedback?

Thanks,
Liz N

Hey Liz! Your BodyPUMP pal here! I'm 27 weeks and am getting up much the same way you are (and my bench is on an incline). However, because I'm so freakish about lying down too long, I get up slowly before it's time for the official rest break and I actually stand up and the tell the class what to do (I'm also slow to lie back down). It's sort of a "do as I say not as I do". Also, I frequently remind the class before and during the they will see me make modifications for myself due to my pregnancy and that these modifications are not necessarily the one's BTS recommends. I've found the class (old timers and new comers) to be really receptive and stick with what is "right" per BTS.

I don't teach BodySTEP (boo-hoo, but I'm working on getting a club I teach at to get it) but I am passing myself on my cardio. As long as I can keep speaking 2-5 sentences (per ACOG) I'm happy. Like you I tend to push myself hard while teaching or on my own and I consider a sacrifice of self for my baby to "chill out" a bit. It's SSOOOO hard though - especially as I see how (negatively) my body responds to less cardio.

I don't know if this helps!

Talk to you soon! jeni

Hi Liz! At the start of week 13, I put my step on an incline. Then later when I was getting bigger I noticed that this incline helped to roll me back up. Then by the time I reached 28 to 34 weeks, I started getting up sooner than the break because it took me so much longer. Then by week 36 I stopped doing the chest track and simply talked them through it. It was almost embarrassing to watch me try to roll to my side and get up "gracefully" and after almost needing assistance to be pulled up one day I decided that that was it for me (oh what a visual;-)). Good Luck and keep us posted!

Hi Liz!
I just got back from subbing a BP class (I'm 32 1/2 weeks) and I too use my bench at incline for chest & tri's. I actually roll over to my side and step one foot out to get up...it's quite hilarious but everyone is great about it! On some days I just stay upright and don't use any weight as I move my arms forward and back in front of me.

I don't know about you other guys, but I sure have one heck of a time remembering the choreography lately...I'm blaming it on my "pregnant brain" but it could also be that I don't teach it regularly!

As far as intensity goes, I use very light or no weight. Partly because today I had already taught my Step 2 class and just because I find that it just wears me out not teaching BP regularly. I've just discovered that I need to tone down my impact/intensity when I teach my cardio class; I only have 3 weeks left and I'll stop teaching at 37 weeks (I'm going on vacation and not coming back after my 6-8 weeks...)

I'm sure you'll be able to figure out what's comfortable for you and I know your body will tell you what ISN'T!
Take care!
Myra + Baby Kyrstiana

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.