Is yogurt considered a protein or carb???

Carmen829

Cathlete
This is so confusing. I'm eating 5 smaller meals throughout the day and trying to be sure I eat a protien/carb/fat each time. I'm eating 80 cal no fat yogurt for snack. Protien content is 5 g and carb content is 16 g. So does this count for a protien or carb? Should I have that and a 29 gram protein shake?

Any help would be much appreciated.

On a side note, I've really cleaned up the eating, having more fruits and veggies thoughout the day and love the results I'm seeing.

Thanks. Carmen.

80% of the calories come form the carb count and 25% of the calories come from protein. I usually consider yogurt a carb source.

Are you trying to balance a certain amount of carbs, fat, and protein ratio for each meal? Whoops, I just re-read your post.

Well what are the ratios you are trying to get achieve?

Last edited:
I'm eating 80 cal no fat yogurt for snack. Protien content is 5 g and carb content is 16 g.
With that breakdown, it's definitely more carb than protein (is this a sweetened yogurt? Unsweetened/plain would be more balanced between protein and carbs).

IMO, 20 grams is a bit high on the amount of protein to have at one time (YMMV). I'm pretty sure 20 gm is an amount I've seen as what one can absorb and use at once (but bigger people would be able to use more). The rest pretty much goes to waste (litterally and figuratively, if you get what I mean).

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.