At work and have a question regarding pop intake?

RWattier

Cathlete
Well, I don't really feel like focusing right now and was curious as to how much pop, diet pop, caffeine, tea, etc. that people drink in a day? I usually drink one can of diet pop in the morning and afternoon, so two cans of diet pop a day?

Any other suggestions that would be healthier? I don't like coffee and really like the caffeine in my diet pops. (of course) but does diet pop negatively affect workout results? I have been wondering about this lately....just thought i would ask ;-)

I'm a chronic "non-focusser" myself at work. As you can tell...although I'm using the excuse that I'm on my lunch break.

So anyway...I usually have a 20oz bottle of diet pop at lunch and a 12 oz. glass with dinner. I don't see any effect on my workout results. If it was regular pop, maybe. I know, diet pop is bad for you because of the artificial stuff - but water is just too boring to drink with food and everything else has calories.

Donna

I totally agree! Water is soooooooooo boring! My husband drinks it like its going out of style, but I just cannot do that! Ever since I found this forum, I have been really "unfocused" - -Oh well, its Friday!

Reba & Donna ~
I'm right there w/ you guys! Unfocused at work (especially today. I'm on vacation next week!) I drink about the same amount of diet soda as both of you. I worry about the effects on bones and teeth (although I don't have any "symptons") and I haven't in all the 20+ years I've been working out suffered any ill affects. I also drink lots of water and green tea, occasional cup of black coffee. I'm sort of calorie phobic when it comes to liquids. I'd rather eat my calories than drink them. Everything in moderation is my motto.
~Kim

Reba,

I'm the same as you - I two diet DPs a day. Other than that, all I drink is water.

I don't think it has any negative effects on you workout. In fact, I've read that if you drink a soda one to two hours before your cardio workout, you'll burn more calories. I've done it a few times and did see a SLIGHT difference in my calorie burn (with HR monitor) but once I got a little bit dizzy and had to slow down so you have to be careful about that. I do it every now and then, though.

I wonder if being really into fitness (or at least into it enough to read and post here) correlates with being 'unfocused at work' somehow, because I'm that way too. :) All that energy to burn or something?

Anyhow, I used to drink diet soda constantly at work, plus decaff coffee and tea. About 5 years ago I somehow switched over to water--that's all I drink at work now.

Yes, water is boring, but you have to give it a chance. Once you get used to it, you'll find that you really crave it. Plus, other liquids just won't quench your thirst the way water does. And diet soda will taste cloyingly sweet. I keep an "adult" sippy cup at my desk all day long.

I substituted diet pop with flavored seltzer water. It took a while to get used to it, but now I love it and drink about 2 liters a day. I used to drink a LOT of diet pop and it was definitely affecting my teeth.

Erica

I was a 12 plus a day diet pepsi drinker . I have stopped now for about a year .But sometimes I have one , can never finish a can ,plus i get way wired ,amazing how our bodies change . i stopped cuz I felt it was ruining my efforts !!! :) :)

I rarely drink pop, and when I do, it comes from the health food store (green tea and raspberry beverage, for example). I haven't had store stuff for so long, it tastes repulsive to me: too sweet and too artificial (I used to be a Pepsi addict as a teen!)

Pop has absolutely no redeaming values, IMO, and no nutritional value whatsoever, so why put it in your body? Look at the list of ingredients: hardly anything is real.Some of them look like a chemical stew.

Healthier alternatives: green, white or black tea (which all have caffeine, but much less than cola drinks). Herbal teas. Emgergen-C makes a cola-flavored supplement drink (comes powdered in individual packs and contains vitamin C and B vitamins).

At work, I drink lots of water and some green/white/black teas.

Hello everyone.

Well, I personally can't stand diet sodas so I avoid them like the plague. I drink regular coke, sometimes caff free, sometimes not, but never diet. I don't drink it often though. I will get "cravings" for it though and that's when I'll drink it so it IS always in the house but I don't even have some every day. For that reason, even though there is a lot of sugar in it, I am not worried about it's affect on my body. I try to drink a lot of water but it certainly can be hard to do.

Prior to becoming pregnant, I was a coffee/caffeine addict. I must have drank 4-5 cups of caff coffee per day almost every single day! Once I got pregnant I had to seriously reduce that. Now during the week I drink 1 to 1 1/2 cups of caff coffee in the morning and then water and/or decaf tea throught the rest of the day. At home at night I'll drink decaf tea, water and iced teas mostly and I will also get that urge for coffee so I always have decaf on hand just incase. I am hoping that I won't revert back to my old caffeinated coffee addict ways after the baby is born and would like to try to increase my water as well.

Have a great work out!

~Wendy~
Due Date: 5/19/05

http://www.bullmarketer.com/modules/coppermine/albums/userpics/Sports/exercise/thumb_exercise15.gif

http://www.picturetrail.com/gallery/view?WENDYMIN

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.