Why can't I run?

katia7

Cathlete
I can do any form of cardio.. you name it I can do it (kickboxing, step, hi-lo, elliptical, bike..etc), but running... 5 min and I'm done!.  Why is that?

Also.. another question reguarding shoes. I just ordered new shoes.. crosstrainers (because usually I do aerobics or elliptical).  Is it OK to run in crosstrainers or do I need running shoes?

If you plan on running, you probably should get running shoes just for that. I did cardio,like step,kickboxing,hi/lo in my running shoes and learned real quick that I should use the correct shoes.

kim

I agree you should get running shoes.. the support they offer is way better than any other type of shoe. Are you running on a treadmill or outside? Honestly, I can run about 15mins tops ont he treadmill before I have to stop.. I hate it! Outside I have a 5 mile loop that I can do several times a week with no problem.. I was amazed after only running on the treadmill to get outside and run and it's so much better! Maybe try that. I also think if you have to start out running/walking then do that. Run for 3mins then walk for 5 or so then run again.. it will get easier!

It takes time. I can run and run, but I can't complete a Cathe all-step vid. Ever. BUT, I've been running a long time.

And, at first, I couldn't get 2 blocks, even though I was fairly fit. Like you, I was frustrated and surprised. But, I just tried each time to go a BIT further before I stopped, and walked. The next stop sign--I would be determined to get there THIS time. }( Or the next house, even. It maybe took about 3-4 mos (I was 43 yrs old too) and I was up to 3 miles, and then 5-7 mi.

Seems like anything new we do---no matter how fit we are--is TOUGH at first. Keep it up, and you'll get there.
:)

I can't afford 2 pairs of shoes.. so if I have to choose only one pair is it better to get crosstrainers or running shoes?

I have running shoes but mostly do step or gym equipment. But they were the only shoes that worked for my high arches, wide feet and PF. So go with what is the most comfortable.

I can't run very well either. I could play a whole weekend of soccer and not get out of breath but not run a mile very easy.

What worked for me is to do intervals. Jog, walk, jog, walk and never jog to the point where I was "at no return".

Colleen

I'd get running shoes and get your foot analyzed at a specialty running store. There are running shoes for high arches, medium arches, and low or no arches (flat feet). I was running with the wrong type of shoe and got terrible blisters...I mean huge, terrible, painful ones. Also, wearing the wrong type of shoe while running can cause injuries.

Good luck!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.