What are your distractions while working out? Mine is a cat

JT

Cathlete
While working out, especially floor work, my cat Seville likes to lay literally on me or right next to me while I'm working out. He is smart enough to stay away during the step routine or while I'm standing up. His brother, Madrid, likes to mess around in the kitchen so I hear him. Seville does well to and just lays on the couch in the living room and gives me physical suppor.
So, please share what distracts you during your workouts?

Thanks.

well, my kids usually pick that time to get into a brawl that i need to step in to fix. but yesterday it was the pooch, lol. poor daisy got kicked in the head quite a few times during kickmax b/c she was climbing all over me!

OMG, it's the animals BIG time! When I go to the floor they think I'm there for them! I hate the feeling of cat hair rubbing against sweaty skin! My dog is large and just always seems to be laying in the wrong spot!

I have this wierd compulsion that forces me to pick up any little piece of trash I see on the rug. I can't seem to resist the urge, so some days I'm constantly picking up dog hair!

Phyllis http://www.rykat.org/forums/style_emoticons/default/arrowhead.png

http://www.picturetrail.com/pwmatt

My distractions are my SO and everyday life. If Rob is home, I feel bad working out while he's upstairs alone. If he's not home, he'll call and interrupt me, or I'll be thinking about a fight we had, or what I should cook for dinner, or whether the laundry is done, or what I have to go grocery shopping for. I am constantly thinking about things that need to be done. I try to focus when I'm working out and think about how this is "me" time, but something else inevitably comes to mind. x( UGH!

Allison

http://www.picturetrail.com/allisonj90

I have a pug that does the same thing!! She will want to lay by me while I am doing floor work. I have to shut the door so she won't come in. LOL Sometimes I start thinking about all the stuff I have to do for the day. Then I remember in one of the videos Cathe says this is your time. So I start focusing back on my workout.

Carla

My 3 kitties know when I am working out that they have free reign of the house, and they take advantage of it! It sounds like a bunch of horses running around upstairs!:7

RE: What are your distractions while working out? Mine ...

That would be my 5 yr. old daughter! She always seems to need some thing that she can't reach when I am in the middle of a workout! If I am in the middle of a complicated step routine, thats when she decides to cross the livingroom several times to get something from her bedroomx( ! I try to do the workouts either before she wakes up, or while she is in school, however, sometimes its just not possible! Oh, well, at least its much better than when she was a toddler, thats for sure!!!!

I'm very lucky, I have a dedicated workout room, and I close the door while I'm in there. Otherwise, my cats Ace and Murphy would start chasing each other, and I'd be afraid of dropping a dumbell on them! My main distraction is looking at the clock, so I'm not late for work!

>I have this wierd compulsion that forces me to pick up any
>little piece of trash I see on the rug. I can't seem to resist
>the urge, so some days I'm constantly picking up dog hair!

LOL Phyllis! I'm the same way but it's more so on my step while I'm working out! If there is ANYTHING on my step but ME, I HAVE to get rid of it or it bugs the bejeebers outta me! :7 :7 :7

Well, I often have my computer on while I'm working out and my screen saver is a running slide show of all my pictures so I peek at those when I'm heading in that direction.

Many years ago my own Murphy the Cat would help me with my yoga. His specialty was waiting until I was in some arching pose - back bend or downward dog type thing - and then climb into my tshirt! He'd lay right down like he was in a hammock and I'd pretty much be stuck, not exactly focusing on my pose, having a conversation with him about how he really, really needed to have his nap elsewhere! :7

I loved that kitty.

My daughter is my biggest one. My dog is another. My daughter and my dog together are the worst. Sometimes the cats will come and lay on my step when I'm off it. That's a pain. And the dog will come stand under my chest when I'm doing push-ups. It's the price we pay for comedy.

Most days I workout first thing in the morning before work 6am or so.

But if I'm home from work and workout later in the day it is DH crossing through the basement to go play in the garage with his toys. (his race car). If DD is home its usually the door opening asking if she can cook something, call someone or go somewhere. I also do the laundry while working out but this is more of nice little rest break.

Jenn;-)

Like a lot of you - it is my Cat Oscar... He is pretty good about staying away from me during cardio - but once I hit the floor - he is right there...

Tuesday was rough for him considering I was doing Bootcamp - he had no idea what I was doing - I would hit the floor for abs - he would show up - and a minute later I was up again.... poor guy... hehe... I had to move him out of the way several times...

Hi,

I have a few cats that crowd me, but I laughed when you said one of yours likes to lay on you when you're lifting. My "Baby" jumps up on me when I'm doing chest workouts and just stays on my belly. A couple like to jump on my workout bench when I get up to change weights and I've used them as a "pillow" when I put my body back on the bench. it's funny! When I try to strech, "Sissy" comes up and wants the blanket I'm laying on. She sticks her butt in the air if I scratch her back and I say it's "downward cat". haha:7

My boyfriend. The basement is split up in two. My half has my workout space and his half has his music studio equipment. Sure enough he always starts blasting away in the middle of my workout and I can't hear what Cathe is saying. It gets very loud down there at times.

My Johnny loves to help me with Classical Stretch. He thinks he owns my floor mat and he WILL NOT move off it. He situates himself right in the middle of it making it nearly impossible for me to workout. LMAO at that little rascal, Johnny!

Georgie my Newfie, follows me into my workout room and "stands guard" at the door, but knows when the workout is over and its time to stretch.

He lumbers in, lays down right beside me and gives me the "paw"-usually in the face, his paw is the size of a human hand! Than I tell him to "stretch" and he rolls over on his back, legs and mouth wide open and just lays there.:7

If I have the mat out, he goes and lays on it,and doesn't budge, dogs think the mat is for their lounging pleasure or something!:7

My german shepherd! I've done agility with him and he thinks the step is something for him to jump across and stand on. If I'm doing plie's he likes to walk under my legs and will just stand there - I think these animals know what they're doing!;-)

My two little boys are very distracting--particularly the 2-year old. I try to work out when he's napping, though sometimes he wakes up too early or doesn't go down easily so I have to keep pausing Cathe to run up and check on him. He's also like the cats and dogs that if I get down for floor work he comes to climb on me. I figure it makes ab work that much tougher if I've got 30-some-odd pounds lying on my belly.

[font face="comic sans ms" font color=purple]***Lainie***
My fitness blog: http://fitnessfig.blogspot.com/ http://bestsmileys.com/exercising/7.gif[/font]

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.