Well, I just took a pay cut

LauraMax

Cathlete
Willingly, I might add. They cut the pay of all management staff--not by much, but enough to save the town $250K.

The worst of it is they're planning layoffs, & our sister town--the town in which I live, BTW--just cut 17 positions, one of which was my counterpart. I'm pretty much crapping my pants here. I just don't know what I'll do if I lose my job. There are certainly no job openings in govmt right now, if not laying off, in a hiring freeze.

I won't know for about a month whether or not I'm out the door, so I'll have to sit here & sweat while 7 people determine whether or not I'll lose my house & move back in w/my dad. :eek:

Funny (not in a ha ha kind of way), one of the reasons I went into govmt was for the job security. I could've gone to law school or become a lobbyist, but I wanted the pension & the security. Now I might lose it all.

While the town council continues to piss away money on their pet projects. While the union employees w/union protection sit around all day w/their thumbs up their a$$es. Not a slam on union employees (I'd be one if I had the option!), just a slam on union employees where I work. ;)

Anyway, send me good vibes, I'm very scared. :confused:

Well shoot Laura! :( I'll keep my fingers crossed for you. We are about to do another round of "cost cuts" here as well. I hate that... :(

Laura I am really sorry to hear that you are going thru such a time of worry and uncertainty. It is definitely scary right now. We have our own business and retail is down so much that I have been looking around for a part time job. Sending you some hugs and prayers to keep your job and also for some peace of mind.

Sorry to hear it. Hopefully by taking the cut more people will stay employed and they won't have to lay off.

I lost money last month with my business, not looking good for the whole year. Since I sit on my butt most of the day waiting for the phone to ring or a customer to come in I need to try to find a drop/ship type of online business I can start up that would still sell in hard times.

Willingly, I might add. They cut the pay of all management staff--not by much, but enough to save the town $250K.

The worst of it is they're planning layoffs, & our sister town--the town in which I live, BTW--just cut 17 positions, one of which was my counterpart. I'm pretty much crapping my pants here. I just don't know what I'll do if I lose my job. There are certainly no job openings in govmt right now, if not laying off, in a hiring freeze.

I won't know for about a month whether or not I'm out the door, so I'll have to sit here & sweat while 7 people determine whether or not I'll lose my house & move back in w/my dad. :eek:

Funny (not in a ha ha kind of way), one of the reasons I went into govmt was for the job security. I could've gone to law school or become a lobbyist, but I wanted the pension & the security. Now I might lose it all.

While the town council continues to piss away money on their pet projects. While the union employees w/union protection sit around all day w/their thumbs up their a$$es. Not a slam on union employees (I'd be one if I had the option!), just a slam on union employees where I work. ;)

Anyway, send me good vibes, I'm very scared. :confused:

DH and I are both in unions and we're both worried too. Just because we are in unions does not mean we are exempt. I'm worried they'll close our installation and offer me a job on the opposite side of the state as what they offer my DH. They are talking about sending some employees to another city.

Good luck to you Lauramax and to our whole country as well.

6449927_bodyshot_175x233.gif

Laura,
Keeping my fingers crossed and will mention you in my evening prayers. Hoping for the best. Stay strong.
Booboo

Thanks guys. I'm making calls & putting some feelers out so I know my options. Probably I'll have to relocate if something actually comes up, bye bye basement gym :(, but at least I'll be able to eat.

Tami, probably different kind of union. Govmt unions are like freakin vaults--once you're in no one can force you out. And no one's closing up shop here ;)--just cutting people who can be cut w/minimum fuss.

I'm very sorry to hear all you're going thru and will keep my fingers crossed for you that everything turns out okay.

Hi Laura,

Sending good vibes your way from NJ. My husband closed up 2 of his shops . . . we're down to one and holding on by a thread. I'm hoping things get better soon, and I believe they will just not sure when.

I wanted to post on your gym thread. You did a great job creating your gym:) I love the pink boxing gloves. Is that a pull up bar?

Oh crap Laura!!!!
That just bums me out. You have worked soooo hard and have done so much in your house. I'll pray for you and keep all my fingers crossed. I hope it doesn't come to a layoff. Maybe this cut can prevent that!!!
Good Luck
ellie

Sorry to hear about your job troubles, Laura. I don't think there is an employed person out here who isn't worried about their job right now. Every day I count my own blessings and pray...a lot. We have been scrimping every last penny to pay off debt and by the end of the month...it will have paid off, literally. It has been hard to not buy the things we have wanted to around the house...my carpet is 13 years old as is our furniture. We have been operating on the necessity principle for years now but even this is getting ridiculous. Not much fun, however, our tummies are full and we have a place to rest our heads. Hugs to all who need it...

Tami, probably different kind of union. Govmt unions are like freakin vaults--once you're in no one can force you out. And no one's closing up shop here ;)--just cutting people who can be cut w/minimum fuss.

Laura, I work for the Government. They are playing all kinds of tricks for instance I already mentioned that they are talking about transfering an entire craft to another city. This would be aprox 112 workers. Well of course not all those people are just going to be able to pick up and move-they have familys and roots here.

At another installation a couple miles away from us they have eliminated tour 2. All but about 12 people have to go to nights either on tour 1 (midnight to 8am) or tour3 (4pm to 12:30 am). Some of those people have been there 25 years and it took them years to get enough senority to get to day hours. The higher ups are doing this to save $$ supposedly. I ask how will this save $$? These people will now get night differential so they will be paying more money out. They (mgmt)think we're stupid. We all know that the idea behind this is to force people to retire early because they are not going to want to go back to nights.

6449927_bodyshot_175x233.gif

Oh Laura, I'm so sorry to hear that! :( Sending good thoughts your way-- hope everything turns out alright for you. All the best!

Laura, so sorry to hear this. Sending positive thoughts your way, and keeping my fingers crossed for you!!

Sorry to hear that, I"ve been in your shoes 2x in the last 7 yrs with the company I work for (not government) and I have been so close to being on the "list" of departments losing jobs (160 people the first time, 35 in the facility I work in)....its not a good feeling. Sending prayers your way

Laura, I'm so sorry. I hope it doesn't come to that and I've got my fingers crossed for you. They'd pretty much be crazy to let you go -- you KNOW too much! :p :D

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.