Want smaller thighs - less muscle

elsie3

Cathlete
Okay, I'm 5'2" and build muscle easily. My legs are lean (no saddlebags or anything), but my thighs and calves are bigger. I'd really like more of a straight, tapered leg--if that makes any sense. I always have trouble with pants fitting in the thigh area. Fabrics like french terry look awful and jeans are especially hard to find with the styles right now.

I never go higher than 40 lbs. on legwork because I really bulk up. I love upper body work, however.

Here's the question: What should I focus on? Lots of leg work without weights? Skip the leg work except for what is already in cardio and yoga? I love yoga and try to do a full practice every-other day.

Any suggestions would be appreciated. I'd really like to hear what works for you--especially if you have a body-type like me.

TIA

Carol F

I do a lot of running and heavy upper body weight workouts. I might do one day per week of weighted legs because I just love working with heavy weights, but the running keeps things very lean on the lower half. Also, I like to throw in some pilates/yoga/stretching/barre work for lower body when the mood strikes me.

I'm pear-shaped with muscular thighs and I avoid heavy weighted lower body work like squats and lunges with a loaded barbell. What works for me is power walking (don't like to run), yoga and barre work. In fact, barre work like Squeeze, Lotte Berk and Bar Method has made the most difference in slimming my thighs. Unfortunately, when I stop doing it for a few weeks my thighs go back to their old shape!

I really think that kickboxing helps thin out the lower legs. I would definitely try Kick, Punch, and Crunch. I also would try more reps, lower weights when doing lower body.

Good luck!

dukechick :)

I have noticed that lots of leg work w/out weights as well as workouts that are hard on the legs w/out weights. I love the floorwork on pyramid lower body. I got the hardcore extreme a few weeks ago and the 3 workouts on that dvd are great for working the legs hard w/out weights. I also love to run and do it a few times a week.

Just wanted to chime in and say I'm a large legged victim too. My calves measure bigger than my husband's and he is an avid cyclist. That being said, I'm on my way to do B & G right now. ; )

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.