Vegetarianism causing headaches???

I was hoping that you guys could help me out here. I have been vegetarian for three weeks today. NO meat, no eggs, no milk but I still have cheese probably every other day. I have substituted meat for tofu, vagan alternatives and tempeh for most dishes, and when everyone else is eating meatloaf and fried chicken, I eat lentil soup, when everyone else is eating bacon and eggs, I am eating imatation bacon (which is surprisingly good!) and toast. The first two weeks of eating like this, I felt WONDERFUL!!! I had so much more energy, I felt so light I could walk on air, I am not as hungry, and I have a lot more muscle definition even though that wasn't a goal (I will still take it!!! :) ).

Last week, I started getting headaches, and I do NOT get headaches, EVER. Today I have my fourth one in a week. The only thing that has changed is that I no longer eat meat, and I was wondering if that had something to do with it. I really hope that you can give me some advice here. Here is what I ate yesterday, to help you guys help me better:

Breakfast: bowl of steel cut oats with 3/4 c berries
Lunch: miso soup, edamame, California roll
Snack: orange, 3 pieces of vegan sausage
dinner: dark green salad with vin. dressing, lasagna with tofu instead of beef
I drink water all through the day, same amount, so I know it isn't dehydration

I don't know what I am doing, if there is any vitamin that I am missing out on...? I really don't want to take a supplement because I believe that it is better to get what you need from food, so is there anything that I should be eating that I am not? Thank you, thank you, thank you in advance! You guys have been so helpful so far and I look forward to your diagnosis! :)

Missy

Missy, is it TTOM? Also, has there been a decrease in caffeine? Are you coming down with a sinus infection. These are all things that can cause headaches, so it may not even be related to the switch to veganism.

Michele

Michele, thanks for the quick response!!! :)

The only caffeine that I ever had is in chocolate, and that hasn't changed (I eat dark choc. at least three times a week). Not TTOM, though I don't get headaches with them anyways (only bloating, which has gone away since nixing meat and most dairy :) ). I don't get sinus infections, never had a problem with them ever. Don't have any congestion to speak of either.

I am wondering if there are vitamins in meat that I am not getting from soy products. Any thoughts there?

ETA maybe I am not getting enough calories to keep up with daily exercise and life??? Tofu and soy have much less than dairy and meat... maybe that is it?

Missy

I don't know about that Missy, I'm inclined to think not. Actually, some aged cheeses are related to migraines. I'll ask DH when he gets home tonight if there is any relation to headaches and vegetarian diets.

Michele

>ETA maybe I am not getting enough calories to keep up with
>daily exercise and life??? Tofu and soy have much less than
>dairy and meat... maybe that is it?
>
>Missy

That is a distinct possibility! Try increasing your calories a little bit and see if it makes a difference.

Michele

Missy - I've been a vegetarian since 1989. The one time I felt bad due to my diet was when I tried being vegan - I definitely was not doing it properly and was not getting enough nutrients.

Since you eat cheese, you're obviously not opposed to dairy products. I would increase that, if I were you. It'll add some fat in - your sample diet sounded pretty low. Also, it will add vitamin B12, which you can only get from animal products. Without B12, your body cannot utilize protein. So you really want to make sure you get that. Try milk and yogurt, as well as the yellow cheeses.

I don't know if a lack of B12 can cause headaches, but I do know it is the one vitamin that a person simply cannot get in a vegetarian or vegan diet, without eating animal products or taking a supplement.

Also, it may be that your body is just now adjusting to the new diet - it sounds like you jumped right into it all at once, which is fine. I did that too (years ago!). But sometimes the body responds in different ways.

I do take a vitamin supplement. I feel the same as you do, but I guess as I age, my body doesn't behave quite properly! Silly thing.

Of course, at this time of the year, your headaches could be stress related, too. With that in mind, maybe you could just take a little break - if you're exercising, take a couple of days off. Give yourself a little more space.

Other than that - your sample meal sounds pretty balanced to me. Give it a little more time!

Hi Missy,

I have been a vegetarian since July. For three or four weeks I had a migraine once week at that time. You know, until you posted this I never contected it with the vegetarian diet!! Maybe that did have something to do with it. Anyway, I kept eating vegetarian, a diet similar to yours, and I have not had a migrain now since August.

Caren

Hi Missy,

Welcome to vegetarianism! :) I have been a vegetarian since I was a teenager and vegan for about the last 15 years. In addition, I used to work for a national vegetarian organization.

Perhaps you are eating too much soy. Try substituting beans (and nut butters if you are not concerned about fat intake) for some of that soy. You can also add whole grains such as brown rice. There are no vitamins you cannot get from a vegetarian diet.

Also, it is not very likely a lack of B12 as cheese and other dairy products(and eggs) are good sources of B12, as well as fortified rice/soy milks and some fortified veggie burgers. The body stores B12 for years so as long as you aren't breast feeding or pregnant, even without dairy and eggs you would probably be ok for a while without B12.

HTH

FitDoggie

"The reward for work well done is the opportunity to do more."

Missy,

Here's a chart from the Houston Headache Clinic of foods that can trigger a migraine.

http://www.houstonheadacheclinic.com/nutrition.html

I don't know if you're actually having migraines, but look this list over and compare it to your diet--maybe you'll find your answer. I'll still talk to DH but he may not get home until quite late.

ETA that even if your diet is causing the headaches, it could be that this will stop after a period of adjustment. Also, just because a food item is known to trigger headaches, that doesn't necessarily mean that it's triggering YOUR headaches ;-) Hang in there tootsie! There's an answer.

Michele

In case you can't get to the link:

Vitamin B12-deficiency anaemia
Published by BUPA's Health Information Team
June 2004

Anaemia is a condition in which the blood cannot carry enough oxygen, either because there is a low number of red blood cells or because each red blood cell is less able to carry oxygen than normal.

There are many different types of anaemia with different causes. Vitamin B12 deficiency is a possible cause.

Symptoms of anaemia include feeling tired or faint and getting breathless easily.

About blood
Blood is made up of fluid called plasma which contains three types of cells:

white blood cells – these are part of the immune system, the body’s defence against infection
platelets – these are involved in blood clotting
red blood cells – these carry oxygen around the body in a pigment called haemoglobin
Red blood cells are made by the body in the bone marrow, and live for around four months before they are destroyed and replaced, as part of a normal renewal process.

Anaemia due to lack of vitamin B12
Anaemia is a condition in which the blood cannot carry enough oxygen to meet the body’s needs. This may be because there are less red blood cells than normal, or because there is not enough haemoglobin in each cell.

Vitamin B12 is needed to make red blood cells. Vitamin B12 is also essential for the nerves and brain.

Other nutrients that are needed to make red blood cells include iron and folate (folic acid). A lack of these in the diet can also cause anaemia. For more information please see the separate BUPA factsheets on Iron-deficiency anaemia and Folate-deficiency anaemia.

Causes of vitamin B12 deficiency
Pernicious anaemia
In most cases, vitamin B12 deficiency happens because the stomach cannot produce enough of a substance called intrinsic factor (IF), which is needed for vitamin B12 to be absorbed. This is called pernicious anaemia.

Pernicious anaemia is an autoimmune condition. Normally cells called antibodies, produced by the body’s immune system, attack foreign substances such as viruses and bacteria. With autoimmune conditions, the immune system mistakes the person’s own tissue as foreign and attacks it.

With pernicious anaemia, antibodies damage the cells in the stomach that produce intrinsic factor.

The cause of pernicious anaemia is not known. It usually develops in people over the age of 50, and tends to run in families. If left untreated, pernicious anaemia can become life-threatening.

Other causes of B12 deficiency
Poor absorption of vitamin B12 can be caused by parasites or certain bacteria that interfere with absorption in the small intestine. Crohn's disease (a condition of the small bowel) can also interfere with vitamin B12 absorption.
Vitamin B12 deficiency can be associated with a poorly functioning pancreas; liver damage, caused by excess alcohol intake; gastrectomy (surgical removal of part or all of the stomach); and taking some medications for stomach ulcers on a long-term basis.
Dietary-related vitamin B12 deficiency is rare, but strict vegans may be at risk because their diet excludes the foods that provide this vitamin. Vitamin B12 is the only vitamin that is not found in vegetables.

Symptoms
People with vitamin B12-deficiency anaemia have symptoms caused by a low level of oxygen in the body. These include:

breathlessness
tiredness
dizziness
rapid, weak pulse rate
palpitations – irregular or strong heartbeats
headaches
pale skin
As well as the symptoms of anaemia, vitamin B12 deficiency may cause neurological symptoms such as inflammation of the nerves (neuritis) which can affect movement and sensation, tinnitus (ringing in the ears), colour blindness, lightheadedness, confusion, depression, poor concentration and forgetfulness. There may also be loss of appetite, diarrhoea and weight loss.

Diagnosis
Anyone with symptoms that suggest anaemia, such as pale skin, weakness and fatigue, should visit their GP. He or she will ask about your symptoms, medical history and current eating habits, and perform a physical examination.

A simple blood test can count the number of red blood cells and measure the amount of haemoglobin.

The size of the red blood cells will also be examined. Enlarged red cells, called megaloblasts, are caused by vitamin B12 deficiency and folate deficiency. If they are present the condition is called megaloblastic anaemia. Finding megaloblasts in the blood can help to diagnose anaemia but does not determine the cause.

The level of vitamin B12 can be measured with a blood test, if necessary.

The GP may recommend further tests to identify the cause of B12 deficiency. One test looks at how well vitamin B12 is absorbed by the body. This involves fasting overnight and then having a vitamin B12 injection and taking radioactive-labelled vitamin B12 tablets. The amount of vitamin B12 that comes out in the urine is measured. This is called the Schilling test.

The antibodies which cause pernicious anaemia can also be tested for. A blood test can also identify coeliac disease or blood conditions such as thalassaemia.

Treating vitamin B12 deficiency
Treatment for vitamin B12 deficiency anaemia is usually injections of vitamin B12. The frequency of injection depends on the exact type and severity of the anaemia, but is usually every one to three months, after an initial two weeks of more frequent injections. Vitamin B12 injections sometimes cause bruising and soreness.

In severe cases of B12-deficiency anaemia, a blood transfusion may be required.

If the deficiency is caused by low dietary intake, vitamin B12 tablets may be taken.

Prevention
The best way to prevent B12-deficiency anaemia is to eat a diet containing plenty of vitamin B12. The daily recommended intake for an adult is 1.5µg (1.5 micrograms) a day.

Vitamin B12 is found in meat and animal products, particularly liver, salmon, cod, cheese and eggs. The following is a list of the amount of folate contained in 100g of these foods:

calf liver (fried) – 58 micrograms
cheddar cheese – 2.4 micrograms
salmon (grilled) – 5 micrograms
steak – 2 micrograms

Strict vegetarians should consider taking a regular vitamin B12 supplement to prevent anaemia. Anyone who is worried about vitamin B12 intake should speak to a GP or dietician.

Further information
BUPA ABC of health factsheets
Anaemia
Iron-deficiencey anaemia
aand Folate-deficiency anaemia.
http://www.bupa.co.uk/health

British Nutrition Foundation
020 7404 6504
http://www.nutrition.org.uk

OMGosh, thank you guys so much!!! You know, as I sit and look at the symptoms of amaemia, I also realize that I have been more tired and get dizzy very easily when I stand up from a sitting position. It looks like I will be adding a B12 supplement, not calf liver - ewwwwwwwww! :)

Michele, I don't get migraines any more, and I don't get them now. I used to, every month, and believe it or not I found out that the trigger was actually BANANAS!!! I haven't eaten a banana in four years, I haven't had a migraine in four years. Crazy, huh? :p I get my potassium from potatoes and oranges now. :)

THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU EVERYONE!!! I will start the supplements right away, and then let you guys know how I am feeling later. If that doesn't work, then I will back off soy and see what that does. I am going to try one thing at a time here so that I know what is causing this. :)

Missy

That's great Missy!! Also, some vegetarians eat fish don't they?
I noticed grilled salmon has some B12.

I've been eating veggie for 2 months now, but have salmon once in a while. Haven't had any problems so far.

:D

>That's great Missy!! Also, some vegetarians eat fish don't
>they?

NO,NO,NO! (I am adamant about this). There are people who eat fish or chiken and CALL themselves vegetarians, but they are not.

Missy, I would think that your headaches could be caused by withdrawl from something (are you eating less cheese? Cheese contains some substance that is addictive in the way drugs are. Cutting back on it a lot quickly could lead to headaches). Did you cut down on caffeine?

Also, some food you are eating more of could trigger headaches as well (some suggested soy, and that's a possibility).

B12 deficiently usually doesn't show up that quickly (your body stores B12 in the liver, so even if you had no B12 in your diet--thout you do because of the dairy--you would have enough for 2 years or more, though it is very individual). It is important to get B12, as in modern days it is only found in animal products (or supplements made from bacteria) but in the past, when water wasn't treated and people ate food fresh from the garden just rinsed with un-chlorinated water, was obtained as well from soil bacteria. www.veganessentials.com has a great B12 spray of methylcobalamin (cyanacobalamin is the usual form of B12 you will find, but methylcobalamin is more effective, and can even reverse neuropathy in diabetics--I've seen it work on my diabetic cat). A bottle costs around $10, and if you use it once or twice a week (daily use not necessary because it is stored) it will last you about a year.

Kathryn, I was hoping that you would respond!!! :7 You always have such great advice.

So, how much soy is too much? I have eaten soy for a very long time (edamame, soy nuts, miso, tofu eggrolls, soymild in cereal), so I know that I am not allergic to it. I can't think of anything that I have cut out besides meat, milk and eggs, and I don't think that you can have withdrawal from that... can you? And I already eat very little sugar and have caffeine only in chocolate :9 (same amount there). And I am not eating less cheese. In fact, I had some Halvati on crackers today, and some mozzerella on lasagna yesterday. Do you think that because there is less "junk" from other dairy and meat that the bacteria and processing from the cheese could be amplified and causing the headaches? (I am asking myself now if that even makes sense!) I wasn't eating cheese as much before when I was still eating meat. And I am getting plenty of iron. In fact, when I gave blood four weeks ago, my blood dropped straight to the bottom of those tubes they have, plus I was pmsing. I eat me spinach!

I am optimistic, and we will figure this out!

Missy

I can't
>think of anything that I have cut out besides meat, milk and
>eggs, and I don't think that you can have withdrawal from
>that... can you?

Actually, you can. It's possible you're having a cleansing/detoxing reaction (eating lots of fruits can do that). There are hormones (naturally occurring and added) in animal products that you may have become somewhat addicted to. Dropping those foods could give you headaches and other cleansing reactions. If that's the case, it won't last long.

Do you think that because there is less "junk" from other dairy
>and meat that the bacteria and processing from the cheese
>could be amplified and causing the headaches?

Cheese is often a trigger for migraines (a friend of mine had migraines and couldn't eat most cheeses, or drink red wines, or eat citrus fruits) without having a migraine.

I suggest keeping a "headache log" in which you record what you ate, your monthly cycle, and if/when you get headaches. You can see if there is a pattern. These headaches could also be hormonally related. Without the extra hormones from animal products, your body may have a lowr level of hormones that it has to get used to (not a bad thing, because lower hormone levels can lead to a lower risk of reproductive cancers and an easier transition into menopause).

Also, not eating enough calories (or to many calories from simple carbs), or not drinking enough fluids, or not getting enough sleep, or even holding your breath during weight workouts, can give you headaches.

Missy,

I agree with Kathryn--your headaches aren't likey the result of a B12 deficiency which you're still getting from cheese.

As I posted earlier, headaches can come from aged cheeses and mozzarella is on that list. The following aged cheeses can trigger headaches: Blue, boursault, brick brie types, camembert types, cheddar, swiss, gouda, Roquefort, stilton, mozzarella, parmesan, provolone, and romano.

Better choices that are not associated with headaches are: American, cottage, farmer, ricotta, cream cheese, and velveeta.

The next time you make something like lasagna try substituting cottage cheese.

DH said he doesn't worry much about increased soy intake causing headaches. I haven't had a chance to talk to him in earnest yet but I will.

Kathryn is also right about the other headache triggers: lack of sleep and caloric deficit. Another possible trigger could be a lengthy time span between meals.

There are many, many possible triggers.

Michele

Also, don't forget Missy that if they don't go away soon...maybe go get a blood test from your doctor just to be sure!

:)

>>That's great Missy!! Also, some vegetarians eat fish don't
>>they?
>
>NO,NO,NO! (I am adamant about this). There are people who eat
>fish or chiken and CALL themselves vegetarians, but they are
>not.
>
>

Ahhh! Thanks Kathyrn. I don't eat chicken though. I looked it up and I guess it's called Pesco-vegetarians. See below! Woohoo! It says they believe it's the healthiest! I guess Missy would be considered a Lacto Vegetarian.

http://www.askdrsears.com/html/4/T045400.asp

"1. What does a "vegetarian diet" mean? The term "vegetarian" is really a misnomer, since vegetarians eat more than just vegetables. Vegetarian simply means a plant-based diet. There are several kinds of vegetarian diets, defined by what types of foods are consumed.

A strict vegetarian, a vegan, avoids all foods of animal origin, including meat, poultry, fish, dairy products, and eggs.
Lacto-vegetarians include dairy products in their diet. Lacto-ovo- vegetarians also eat dairy products and eggs.
Pesco-vegetarians eat fish, dairy products, and eggs along with plant foods. (We believe this is the healthiest diet for most people).
Finally, there are semi-vegetarians, who cheat a little and eat a little poultry along with fish, as well as dairy products and eggs. Most veggie lovers are not strict vegans."

..or Pescetarians http://vegetarian.about.com/od/vegetarianvegan101/f/faq_vegtypes.htm
"Pescetarians eat a vegetarian diet but also consume fish. Pescetarians may avoid red meat and poultry because they do not want to support factory farming or other inhumane methods of raising animals. For many people making the transition to vegetarianism, pescetarianism is a stage along the way to an entirely meatless diet."

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.