Training for a Marathon

I'm thinking of joining Team in Training. Is anyone a member? Any feedback would be helpful. I'm a little worried about raising $3,900.

The race I would be training for would be the Nike Women's Marathon (full or 1/2). I ran in high school, both track and cross country, but that was, oh, 15 years ago. About 5 years ago, I was running around 4-5 miles about 4 times a week. It was prob. more of a jog.

So, can I actual DO this? The race is in Oct. so that gives me 5 full months to train. I've never participated in a race before. I go through my stages of being very dedicated for several months. But then I get sick or some drama happens and I don't do anything for a month. The cycle then repeats itself.

I'm looking for something "bigger" than I can be a part of. I feel like most days I just do the same old thing. I need to meet new people, since I moved here last summer, and don't know too many people. But for some reason I'm freaked out about making this commitment.

I need some honest, brutal if necessary, opinions.

I say do it! However, I'd strive for the 1/2 marathon for now. That will give you plenty of time to train. If you go to runnersworld.com they even have training guidelines that will help you know how much to run per week, etc. Can you get a buddy to train with? That would help too, I'm sure.

Do it - if it doesn't work out, it's not the end of the world. But, I think you'll be more disappointed if you don't try.

Heidi

Thanks for your input, Heidi.

A coworker has been a member of Team in Training for several years. She is the one who asked if I would be interested. She said she would help me in any way she could.

Have you ever done a 1/2 or full marathon? Any suggestions? :)

That is so great! I'm not a member, but one of my friends that I run with is. She has run I think 8 marathons and a lot of half marathons with Team in Training. I would start with a half marathon if you have not been running regularly, you don't want to injure yourself. (believe me, I know!) I have run 1 full marathon and 2 half marathons. Feel free to ask any running questions, there are lots of knowledgeable runners here on the forums!

I think that Emily (materialsgirl) and maybe Gayle (Banslug) have done Team in Training, so hopefully they will give you more feedback!

I just ran the Boston marathon with a charity team, and it was my first full marathon. I've been running for many years and participating in 1/2 marathon races for the last few years, so I wasn't worried about getting to the distance. Yes, it was hard work, but I enjoyed every long run and really loved the training.

I was initially concerned about raising the required $3000, but I ended up raising just under $13,000, doing nothing other than sending emails. It's amazing how many people step up for a cause! I'm certain you could reach your fundraising requirement.

I think having such a huge goal like a marathon, combined with a great cause, will really help keep you focused if that's something you typically struggle with. You'll be training through the summer, which will be really nice (if you are a morning runner and can avoid the heat). Given you haven't been doing any long runs anywhere near what you'll need to, the training will be HARD. But if you are psyched for that, I'd highly recommend it! I had a great time - it was an amazing experience.

Good luck!

m.

Jess- Thanks so much for your offer to answer my running/training questions. You might be sorry you offered!

I have a running schedule to build up the miles. I think I will prob. end up walking some and then running some. I can't imagine myself running, what, 13 miles!

I realized today when I was thinking about doing this, that when I do commit to someone/something else, I always keep my promise. It's when I commit to just myself that I have trouble. So, this might just be what I was looking for. I've been looking into volunteering, so this will be very similar. And I need some sort of structure and goal for exercise. Plus, it's a way to meet people.

No problem!! When I first started running I read everything I could about it!! Good shoes are KEY for me. Go to a good running store and get your feet fit properly. They will watch you run and help you get the best shoe for YOU.

It's all in the training & the build up in mileage. I know when I started training for a marathon I never thought it was possible but I did it!!

Full disclosure: I've done 4 seasons of TnT (3 as a mentor), so I'm a wee bit biased, but in short...

DO IT!!!

It is honestly one of the best decisions I ever made, to join TnT. Not only did I get to train for my first endurance event (a 1/2 marathon--I've now done 7 more), but I found a second family. There is unbelievable cameraderie and of course, there is the knowledge that you are helping raise funds for an amazing cause. Now granted, the cause is very close to my heart, so for me, the cause really drives me, but even if you just care about the other things, it is reason enough to do it.

I'm about to train for my first full marathon (Nike, just like you :)), and I would never even think of doing this without TnT. The coaching and the support from my fellow mentors and participants are crucial. I just don't have the discipline to do it on my own, and this way I know all I have to do is follow their training plan, and I'll be golden.

Seriously, if you have any questions at all, feel free to PM or email me and I'll tell you all you need to know :).

Jennifer

Also, if you're worried about running a full for your first event, know that right off the bat, you have an advantage over the majority of new TnT participants: you actually have experience running.

TnT's specialty is in taking people who've never even worked out--let alone run before--to the finish line of a marathon. Lots of my friends from TnT went from never running to running a marathon. I myself was a wimp in my first season and did a 1/2 marathon because I was scared, too, of never having run before and attempting a FULL marathon, but I wish I had gone for the full.

In the end, base your decision on what you want to do, not what you think your abilities will let you do. The training is there; if you follow the plan, you WILL cross the finish line. The question to ask yourself, though, is whether you want to do the training for a full (which, I won't lie to you, it's tough) or a half. Either way, you know what? You're doing an AMAZING thing that many, many people never even attempt to do, let alone actually accomplish.

Ok, last post and then I'll get off my soapbox ;).

Regarding the fundraising... Everyone is freaked out by it, but I can tell you that in 4 seasons, I have yet to meet someone who didn't meet their fundraising minimum, except those who just didn't even try.

I never thought I could raise thousands of dollars, and yet you'd be surprised by all the people who come out of the woodwork to donate to your cause.

Case in point, I sent out my fundraising letter on Monday, and in 4 days, I've now raised $935 of my $1500 minumum!! And several hundreds of those $$, I got from people I barely knew at work. They just happened to be on my Facebook, saw my message about training for a marathon and raising money for LLS, and they donated! One person in particular I don't work with a lot at work, but she donated because her grandmother had died of Leukemia and she saw what I was fundraising for and wanted to help.

That happens all the time, you'd be surprised.

I've got lots of fundraising tips, so if you're still worried about that, don't be afraid to ping me. As a mentor, they have us focus on exactly that: mentoring people through the process of fundraising and all it entails. You'll just be my mentee from a distance ;).

PS There is a thing called "recommitment." Up until recommitment, you can train with the team and raise funds, and on recommitment day, if you still feel like you won't be able to raise the entire minimum or stick with the training, you can walk away and not be obligated to raise the rest of the minimum. This will give you a chance to get a taste of the training before you really, truly decide 100%.

ABSOLUTELY you can and should do it.

When you run for something that is BIGGER AND BETTER than YOU, it makes all the difference in your training. You'll be running for things that are a lifeline for people....chemotherapy, radiation, blood transfusions, financial support, etc.

I am a TnT alumni. I ran the Disney full in January of 2006, after DH passed away from Leukemia in Sept of 2004. I was required to raise $3,700, but exceeded that with over $5,000 in donations. This was my very FIRST race. I went from running 2-3 times per week, to running a FULL MARATHON. IT CAN BE DONE!!!

TnT supports families just like mine, and I thank each and every person that participates with the organization. There is no feeling in the WORLD that can compare to crossing the finish line when you know you just ran it to help save the lives of innocent people.

Please feel free to PM me if you'd like some specific input!

Gayle

Jennifer- I can hear the passion in your voice. Amazing. That is the kind of "purpose" I'm looking for. I've gone back to church, read my daily devotional, and now it seems as if Team in Training has just been brought to me, if that makes sense. Thank you so very much for the offer to help w/fundraising ideas by being my mentor from afar!

Gayle- I don't have a personal connection to Leukemia. But after a man, who is a mountain climber, talked at my school for several years about his struggle and how it was the "biggest mountain he'd ever climbed," I have always felt that I would like to help. That's been years ago, and life and my own issues/drama got in the way. Now, I feel like I'm ready to DO something, instead of just thinking about it.

I have filled out the registration form and have my money ready to sign-up. Tomorrow is the fall kick-off in my area and my coworker is taking me. I AM SOOOOOO EXCITED!! My husband has promised to help in any way he can. He is going to train with me whenever I want to do it at home, instead of meeting up with the TNT. AND, I am getting new running shoes tonight.

Thank you all so much for sharing your passion with me. I finally feel like I'm doing something other than the normal routine. Being a teacher is fulfilling, don't get me wrong, but this, this is global!!

Clothesminded: I am so excited for you!!! :) Kick-off is my favorite time of the year (other than the moment you cross the finish line and you get your medal ;)), because everyone's brimming with anticipation and excitement.

I hope it's every bit as wonderful an experience for you as it has been for me. As you can tell, I'm a "lifer" LOL! I was blessed with meeting a really great group of people at the outset, and every year since then, it's been more and more great people--in truth, that's what gets me coming back again and again. Yes, I'm addicted to the running part too, but as evidenced by my less than disciplined running schedule in the off-season, I don't exactly do as much of it as I do when I'm training with TnT, and that's because you really do bond with people on these runs.

Just keep in mind: you get out of it what you put into it. Some people show up to training and then don't really interact with others as much--nothing at all wrong with this, but they do tend to miss out on the camaraderie that the rest of us get to experience. IMHO that is just as important--if not more--than the training itself. Otherwise, you could just train on your own or with a personal trainer, you know? But everyone has to make that decision for themselves, since we are all busy and lead very full lives, and TnT is only one aspect of your life. I do think you get more out of it, though, when you let yourself become a part of the larger group. What you get back is tenfold :).

Jennifer

Oh and one more thing: I'd wait until after kick-off to get new running shoes. The reason is, very often they give you a TnT discount that you can take to a participating store :). Also, they can give you recommendations on what stores in your area are good at fitting people for running shoes.

You've gotten a lot of great advice already, but I just want to add...

DO IT!!! :D

I ran the Walt Disney World Marathon with Team In Training in '06 and it was one of the most incredible experiences of my life. I would do it again in a heartbeat if the fundraising wasn't so gosh-darned difficult for me. Don't let me scare you - most people don't have trouble with fundraising. I worked my butt off on fundraising and still came up short - but my situation is unique. I had a lot of roadblocks to fundraising that most people don't have - you will do just fine.

Good luck to you and HAVE FUN!!!! :D

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.