Training and eating smart - How hormone work ?

Hi Everyone,

I would like to share article below with those of us who have to manage blood surgar level opting for a low glycemic index eating habit. Also I would like to share with anyone interested in knowing how hormone work.

Cathe Friedrich - 5 Hormones That Impact Muscle Growth and How They Work

I definitely relate hormone listed 1 and I am so grateful cathe wrote about it.

I could not agree more on the last paragraph :):):)
It is all about playing it clean clean and healthy:cool::cool:

"The problem with IGF-1 is its anabolic nature has also been linked with proliferation of cells, including cancer cells. Some studies suggest that higher levels of IGF-1 are associated with a greater risk for pre-menopausal breast cancer, colon cancer and prostate cancer. That’s why it’s not a good idea to take any of the IGF-1 supplements available in health food stores to boost muscle growth"

Hope you find it helpful.

Kind Regards everyone;),

Thanks for the link.

I have watched my blood sugar since I was 27 and the doctor told me I was insulin resistant. I always go for the South Beach style carbs and I try to emphasize healthy protein and fats. I also watch out for higher glycemic fruits because they irritate my body (which expresses itself as a cellulitis infection.) especially nectarines and pomegranates. I think that would just depend on the person. Cathe workouts seem to help a great deal. Also, juicing helps too like beet/lemon/kale/parsley/cucumber.

I did not know much about IGf-1. I would probably steer clear of unnecessary supplements. I do take fish oil, evening primrose oil, and billberry (for interstitial cystitis that I had for 7 years as a teen, it pretty much cured it, but I take it to prevent it ever coming back as the pain was mind numbingly bad.) I don't even use protein powders (made me gain weight). Sometimes I take potassium as I work a very physical job and I sweat a lot.

Thanks for the link.

I have watched my blood sugar since I was 27 and the doctor told me I was insulin resistant. I always go for the South Beach style carbs and I try to emphasize healthy protein and fats. I also watch out for higher glycemic fruits because they irritate my body (which expresses itself as a cellulitis infection.) especially nectarines and pomegranates. I think that would just depend on the person. Cathe workouts seem to help a great deal. Also, juicing helps too like beet/lemon/kale/parsley/cucumber.

I did not know much about IGf-1. I would probably steer clear of unnecessary supplements. I do take fish oil, evening primrose oil, and billberry (for interstitial cystitis that I had for 7 years as a teen, it pretty much cured it, but I take it to prevent it ever coming back as the pain was mind numbingly bad.) I don't even use protein powders (made me gain weight). Sometimes I take potassium as I work a very physical job and I sweat a lot.

Thanks for sharing with us. I personally opted for Low gi even though I was not and I am still not insuline resistant as such. I found out years ago that both my mother and grandmother (who has passed years ago neglecting her nutrition :() had it. It was type 2 which is not insuline dependant but I did not want to let my health escalate to a serious conditions. Type 2 diabetes is purely caused by excess of weight/obesity.

I suppose I am lucky cause I can pretty much eat anything. I have to be sensible. I just decided to cut out white flour completely from my grocery shopping though.

Glad you found the article useful. Like you Cathe's workout have helped a lot. The help has been beyond resolving the obesity problem!! I am being asked if I train people which I would not have ever imagined while I was carrying those excessive weight :cool::cool:

All the very best,

Thanks for the link.

I don't even use protein powders (made me gain weight). Sometimes I take potassium as I work a very physical job and I sweat a lot.

Interesting you should say this - we feed our orphan lambs on whey protein powder (just the same as the stuff sold for weightlifters, only 1/10th of the price!) - and they always get fatter than the mother-fed lambs AND retain that extra fat throughout their life! When they come back from the abbattoir, it's obvious which were whey fed - fattier, less lean muscle. They are also the sickliest lambs.
It goes without saying that I avoid protein powders ;)

Interesting you should say this - we feed our orphan lambs on whey protein powder (just the same as the stuff sold for weightlifters, only 1/10th of the price!) - and they always get fatter than the mother-fed lambs AND retain that extra fat throughout their life! When they come back from the abbattoir, it's obvious which were whey fed - fattier, less lean muscle. They are also the sickliest lambs.
It goes without saying that I avoid protein powders ;)

Wow, that is interesting. More and more, I have been rethinking my consumption of protein powders ... this is another nail in their coffin for me.

Stebby

Thanks for the link.

I don't even use protein powders (made me gain weight).

After a heavy lifting session, what do you eat for protein?
I always workout first thing in the morning, then eat breakfast. I always have steel cut oats with nuts, berries, and chia seeds then I would add a protein shake.
I don't know if I could do eggs all the time.
Any suggestions?

Thanks for the link.

I always workout first thing in the morning, then eat breakfast. I always have steel cut oats with nuts, berries, and chia seeds then I would add a protein shake.
Any suggestions?

To momto4,

Consuming protein powders can cause a controversy among fitness enthusiast. It is not considered as "normal food". That being said it was not made to be considered as such! It was made to meet the need of a demand cause by Hectic lifestyle! After a workout our body have a small time scale less than an hour to consume food containing all required macros and nutrient, fast to be absorbed by the digestive system.

That being said the same protein powder can be used either to loose weight or to gain body mass. It is entirely up to the individual IMO.

Now For me personally, I aim to get both my snack and meal from normal clean food in their natural state:):):) there is no harm in consuming a shake now and then for recovery when necessary. I also make sure that overall my energy expenditure and calories consumed balance the goal I am striving for. Well not for weight gain in my case! Calories consumed being less than calories burnt has always been the basic principle for loosing weight considering metabolism, hormone level etc are all normal!

I do not believe powder protein as a supplement would sell as it is currently selling if it was scientifically proven causing weight gain. I do not believe either animal nutrition requirement matches human's.

That is just my HO.
Should I be wrong, please come up with some scientific study from reputable source.

Kind Regards,

All the best everyone:):),

Last edited:
Thanks for the link.

Any suggestions?

Any kind of protein is fine. I do like to roast a chicken on Sundays and make little baggies of pre-portioned size (1-2 oz. by weight.) of the breast meat. The advantage to roasting your own is that it doesn't have added sodium. The truth is you can eat anything for breakfast that you want, don't be restricted by the old ideas of what 'breakfast food' is.

Thanks for the link.

Any suggestions?

If you are someone who handles dairy well, I recommend Greek yogurt--and not the non-fat, flavored, sugary kind, but the full fat plain. I adore Fage "Total," which is a whole milk Greek yogurt. It has about 190 cals and 18 grams of protein for 6 oz. I add a couple of drops of Stevia and cinnamon, but you could mix-in whatever you want. It is so rich and creamy. I love it! I will never buy the low fat flavored kind again.

I also totally agree with Rapid Breath. I have also found that eating traditionally non-breakfast foods works well for me. I've eaten salads with chicken breast, salmon burgers with roasted sweet potato, or lean grass fed beef with stir-fried veggies. All of this kind of stuff can be prepared ahead of time on the weekend, so it's handy too. It might take a little getting used to, but breakfast can be more than just cereal.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.