Too much running??

Missklp27

Cathlete
I dont know if there is a post about this or not. If there is Im appologize..
I read that its not good to do the same cardio routine everyday. I have started running and really enjoy it, as well as see great benefits from it. I also rollerblade, walk and kickbox. What Im asking is, is it okay if I feel like running 3 or so days in a row, and then do another cardio another day? Some days I feel like running and other days I don't so Ill do somehting else. And sometimes I feel like running everyday, and other weeks I dont. Other than it not being great for your knees, is there anything else I should worry about or keep enjoying the benefits?

Karen

Hi, Karen--

I think it's fine as long as you feel ok. I know I can't run on consecutive days, but that's because I have knee problems. A lot of people I work with are runners, and they run several days a week with no ill effects. I've even read about people called "streakers" who for several years have run each and every day. It all depends on how your body responds to it. I would recommend doing strength training for your legs in addition to your running. Keeping your quads and hamstrings strong is a great way to prevent injury.

Running is one of the best cardio workouts around. If you can do it several times a week without problems, then go for it! Just listen to that body and back off if anything starts to not feel right.

Take care,

-Marie:)

Thanks Marie!
Im doing great with it for now. So, it wont give my body a "plateu" or anything? I want to make sure it still works as a good cario and fat burner and my body not get too used to it, if you know what I mean, and have to switch up cardio exercises.

Hi Karen,

I'm Karen, too!!! I've been running for many years, typically every day around 7 miles. I love it!!!! I'm pretty klutzy so runnng is one thing I can do without fear of tripping all over myself. If the weather is really awful I do have an ellipical trainer I use, but it may sit for many weeks without use. I also do weights and a pretty intense Cathe leg workout twice a week with no ill effects on my running. Luckily, I have no knee problems and have had only minor injuries over the years. To challenge yourself in your running, throw in some speedwork for about 30 seconds or so and then back to your normal pace, or run some different hills, etc. there are many ways to keep your runs from getting stale. As long as you are wearing really good shoes and listen to your body, I say run as much as you want to. Enjoy!!!

Karen

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.