Stability Ball size?

Jenn1973

Cathlete
Hi....
I am interested in buying a stability ball, however I am not sure what size to buy? I am 5'5 and this seems to be an in between size...not sure if I should purchase the 55 or 65??
Could anyone shed some light on this decision...would it be better to get a bit smaller or a bit bigger...I have never used one before...
Thanks Guys.....
Jenn

I am also 5'5" and I have the 55cm ball. I hope this size works. I guess I will find out when the DVDs come.

hi Jenn.

I just got a stability ball for Christmas (and I love it for stomach and back). Anywho, the first one my husband bought (i am 5'6) was a 24" (i think that is the 55). It was too small. I returned it and got the 26" (the 65). it is much better. I agree, 5'5 is an inbetween height. I would suggest getting the bigger of the two balls. I'm not sure how cathe is going to use her ball, but in the tape i have, i sit on the ball for a bit. On the 55, my hips were way too low. If the ball is on the big side, it makes the workouts a bit harder, from my experience. If the ball is too small, it is hard to do alot of the exercises effectively. The balls are retunable, so if whatever size you get dosen't feel right, it should be returnable. you are going to love using a ball. I use mine with my weights. It gives you a great stretch along with toning.

Kim

[font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON Jan-11-03 AT 10:59PM (Est)[/font][p]I'm 5'5" also and had the same dilemma. Wasn't sure which size to get. The girl at Sports Authority had used them and suggested the larger one (65) because better too big than too small. I guess because the larger one would have a larger surface area it would be easier to work with. So that's what I got. Unfortunately I returned it because after I used it with the silly video that came with it, I felt it was useless. That was the video's fault, too easy. Now when I get Cathe's new series I'll have to get another ball, but it'll be worth it because I'll have a good video to use with it.

Just to let you know. The Costco near me had 65 cm balls for $14.99 over the weekend. I already had an old 55 cm one and decided that I could not pass up the bargan. I wanted a second one so that I have one to use when I sat at the computer and another for the exercise area. I inflated the new one to about 60 cm. I am 5 feet four inches and it definitely will do the job.

They also had yoga sets with a mat, strap, and two blocks for $29.99.

Rhonda

Rhonda,
I saw it too from COSTCO for $14.99. I have question for you. I was try to find out if we need pump to inflate the ball. I almost bought it but did not want to buy the pump. Did you have to buy the pump for your first one? I am going back to COSTCO if I do not have worry about the pump.

Thanks.

Hi, Jenn,

I got the 55, which is the right size for me (5'3"), but as Rhonda said, it took a lot of pumping to inflate and I never did succeed in getting it up to the full size. It seemed to stop inflating at around 52cm. That may just be the particular brand I bought (Living Arts), but as a result of that experience, I think if I were between sizes I'd go with the bigger size.

Audrey

When I bought my first ball, I took it to a bike shop to inflate it. The man told me that I is best to inflate it in two stages. First you inflate it to just below the final size. Let it sit for a few days and then put in more air.

Rhonda

Thanks, Rhonda, I'll try that -- I'm just afraid if I take the plug out, I'll lose all the air and have to pump it up again. Now that was a workout!

Audrey

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.