Running + Cathe rotations -- how to do both?

lorioiseau3

I need some advice from Cathlete runners. I just completed my first 5k, and it was awesome! I have to admit that I didn't train for it, though, in the traditional way using any "couch to 5k program." The only exercise that I ever do is Cathe's monthly rotations. With that alone, I was able to finish the 5k in about 35 minutes! I would love to do more 5ks, and I need to prepare myself properly (following those beginning programs). Here's my question: I know that one should not run every day. How would I continue completing Cathe's rotations and run, as well? I don't want to have to give up my daily Cathe workout to run. How would i combine both? Thanks for any tips you can give me.

Cathe and Cathletes ROCK!!!!!!!

That depends on how much time you have on your hands. I find that its easiest to use Cathe as my 'cross training' rather than do both. That said, some people will do one workout in the AM and on in the PM. Any of Uncle Hal's (aka Hal Higdon, not my real life uncle lol.) training programs call for 'strength and stretch' or cross training days, and I just plug in a Cathe that covers that base for me. I don't follow Cathe's rotations anymore because running is important to me. For example, his 8k for beginner's program has one day for stretch and strength training, one day strength/running, and two days of cross training. I don't stress about whether or not its the exact length of my Cathe workouts. I have an excel document that made up with the workouts I own, the duration, the type (strength, step circuit, MMA, steady state step) and the duration of the premixes. I just plug them into the training program. Easy peasy.

The most important thing is to remember that running is both cardio and a lower body workout especially if you are running hills. Always stretch afterwards. You will prevent injury that way.

Btw. Congrats on your 5k time!!!

Last edited:
I am in the same boat. I love Cathe workouts, but am trying to figure a good way to plug in running as well. Most weeks, in a perfect world, I run 3 times and use it as cardio. If its a hard run, I use that as a lower body workout.

Im thinking about tacking on core and legs on two of those and use that as legs and do cardio and upper body on other days except that one long run a week that I normally do.

It also depends on how hard you work on your run days. If your legs are beat up, I wouldnt do any lower body workout for a few days to allow your legs to recover.

HTH

lorioiseau3--- I also run 5K's. Just complete one last sturday...my time was 30.59. This one had some killer hills. OMG!!!

I run on the treadmill in the AM and do Cathe in the PM, on weekends I run outside for "real" training. So I kinda do both. staying fit is a must for me. And I absolutely love Cathe and running. So I can't give either up!!!

Congrats on your 5k. Your time is awesome for your first!!! Keep up the good work. :eek:

What kind of training did you do prior to completing your 5K? I ask this only because it would help me to give you an idea of what your next steps should be. Are you looking to stick with 5Ks or do want to focus on getting faster and then working on distance?

You can easily do Cathe and running. I actually became a better runner by training this way. I am a true believer that you need variety, you need to cross-train. You don't need to run everyday to be a better under. Plenty of Cathe's workouts will help improve/supplement your running, especially her HIIT, CCC, and even step (especially the Imaxes). I am on break from running for the time being, but I typically run twice a week. Since you are a beginner you could do 3 a week and still see benefits and improvements.

Hello-

I am currently training to run a 10k through a beginner run/walk to run plan by BCSportMed. Its starts out with very short running intervals and gradually builds each week until you can run a full 10k with no walk breaks. It builds very slowly at first in order to get your body, joints, tendons, muscles and cardio used to running without overtaxing the body. The plan is a 3 day a week plan of a long, short/recovery and medium distance run or run/walk. I am currently doing this with STS 3 days a week as well. I put my short/recovery day close after my leg day to help recovery and my legs will not be as fatigued for the longer run days. So my week looks like this...

Sun: Longer Run
Mon: STS Upper
Tue: Medium Run
Wed: STS Lower
Thur: STS Upper
Fri: Short/Recovery Run
Sat: Active Rest Day

I do Cathe cardios a couple of times a week in the evening when my body feels up to it since I do not want to give up her workouts either.

Just my 2 cents on what seems to be working for me. :)

Here is the link to the running plan if anyone is interested. It also is part of run of the best running books I have read for new runners, very straightforward and to the point.

http://www.vancouversun.com/pdf/SportMedLearnToRun10KProgram.pdf

The Beginning Runner's Handbook: The Proven 13-Week RunWalk Program: Ian MacNeill, SportMedBC, Doug Clements: 9781553658603: Amazon.com: Books

MJ :cool:

Congrats on your first 5K time! Welcome to running...:)...I have run forever it seems. I started doing Cathe workouts in the early 90's. I have only done a handful of her rotations except for STS which I love and have done various rotations of. I think http://www.runnersworld.com has many training programs for various distances and I have used that site and the training info many times. Adding Cathe workouts can be tricky but crosstraining is so good for you and weight lifting can help strengthen muscles and help to avoid injuries. I typically do upper body weights on days I don't run (I run 4 days a week) and lower body weights on days I do some other cardio. But you have to find out what will work for you and that can take some time. Right now waiting for Xtrain I am doing Horizontal Conditioning workouts along with running as I feel getting your entire core strong does help you run a bit better..:)...Good Luck....

Last edited:

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.